Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

For those with cold air intakes and no tune...

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/14, 01:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
For those with cold air intakes and no tune...

Did you notice any difference worthy of mention?

Just ordered the Airaid for my GT.

Now, i had the Airaid on my previous v6... and difference it made in sound was day and night. Almost sounded close to a v8 under load.

To those of you with GTs, and no tune... did the intake make a noticeable difference... especially with regards to sound? Taking into account the difference it made in my v6 im hoping it will make my GT sound even meaner
Old 5/26/14, 06:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always make the sound inside the car a lot meaner by removing the baffles in the induction sound tube.
Old 5/26/14, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you simply want increased induction noise and improved looks, then yes, the CAI will increase the induction noise for anything greater than idle and cruise throttle application.

I have to state, CAI's are a waste of money if you are seeking a performance boost at all, as you will be lucky to see 5-10 HP for the $250-400 spent on the CAI. Almost all gains advertised with a CAI come with a Tune coupled with the CAI, not the CAI by itself.

IMO, I think induction noise sounds retarded, not meaner. Noise does not equal power or performance, and is best left to the Import or "Tuner" crowd with 4-bangers or small V6's.

You have a V8 now. If you want increased noise from your V8, send that CAI back and spend your money on the exhaust.
Old 5/26/14, 07:52 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
If you simply want increased induction noise and improved looks, then yes, the CAI will increase the induction noise for anything greater than idle and cruise throttle application. I have to state, CAI's are a waste of money if you are seeking a performance boost at all, as you will be lucky to see 5-10 HP for the $250-400 spent on the CAI. Almost all gains advertised with a CAI come with a Tune coupled with the CAI, not the CAI by itself. IMO, I think induction noise sounds retarded, not meaner. Noise does not equal power or performance, and is best left to the Import or "Tuner" crowd with 4-bangers or small V6's. You have a V8 now. If you want increased noise from your V8, send that CAI back and spend your money on the exhaust.
I dont agree. It will let your car breathe. aftermarket mufflers even sound better with a better intake system. Some do not notice the difference in sound and some will. detail. I have seen from many vendors that running a CAI on a GT is tune required though.
Old 5/26/14, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The stock intake breathes just fine.....
Old 5/26/14, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CVH
I dont agree. It will let your car breathe.
Only if the stock airbox and filter is restrictive to the engine's needs.

It has already been proven over and over that CAI's on a otherwise stock 5.0 GT do not improve power more than 5-10 HP (at best). The tiny gain from a CAI without a Tune might be measurable on the Dyno, but that tiny gain will not mean squat in the real world.

The noise from the CAI is likely what tricks many people into thinking their car is faster or more responsive.

I guarantee you that at the dragstrip, a Tuneless CAI equipped 2011+ Mustang 5.0, compare runs with equal everything (track temp, outside temp, engine temp, traction conditions, 60ft times, etc) that the Stock Airbox run would be equal or better to the Airaid CAI.

Do the same comparo on a Tuned 2011+ Mustang 5.0 w/CAI and equal Tune for the stock airbox, results will be the same.
Old 5/26/14, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

I just wanted a quick first mod i can install at home. I liked it on my old car, hopefully i will like it on my new one. It set me back 400$ which is nowhere close to an exhaust. Im getting the whole system (headers, x pipe, full exhaust) anyway. When the time comes i will add a tune and it will be a better package overall due to the intake already being there.
Old 5/26/14, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently put my stock airbox back in. I was running a CAI. The IAT numbers are significantly lower especially while idling, in traffic or driving around town. Still can understand why they are called cold air intakes. They are actually hot air intakes.
Old 5/26/14, 12:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
I recently put my stock airbox back in. I was running a CAI. The IAT numbers are significantly lower especially while idling, in traffic or driving around town. Still can understand why they are called cold air intakes. They are actually hot air intakes.
Lol. This reminds me of an experiment in my youth. I had a 300z and we timed it 0-60 at different temps on the same road several times. Same driver did all the passes in the same deserted parking lot. It was slightly faster on a really cold winter night. About eye same during most days as stock and a good deal slower on summer days. This changed my opinion of cai systems forever.
Old 5/26/14, 12:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Yeah, this is true... better be worth it for the induction noise
Old 5/26/14, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
It set me back 400$ which is nowhere close to an exhaust.
It's pretty close to the price of GT500 axlebacks installed by the dealer. Mine came to $480 for the exhaust, tax, and installation at the dealer just because I didn't want to bother doing it myself.

I would send the intake back, get a set of axle backs, and do the CAI at the same time you get the tune later on, and even then I would probably just do the tune and skip the CAI altogether.
Old 5/26/14, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by puma1552
It's pretty close to the price of GT500 axlebacks installed by the dealer. Mine came to $480 for the exhaust, tax, and installation at the dealer just because I didn't want to bother doing it myself.

I would send the intake back, get a set of axle backs, and do the CAI at the same time you get the tune later on, and even then I would probably just do the tune and skip the CAI altogether.
Yeah, I paid $298 for the GT500's....still the best bang for the buck exhaust there is.....man I love the sound at WOT....
Old 5/26/14, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the air raid CAI on mine.
I have no noticeable gains in power or performance. When I checked my oil today I noticed, how is the "Cold Air" even routed to the **** air filter? It does nothing only increases the sound when you blip the throttle which I like .

I so installed the GT500 axles backs with a resonator delete and it sounds fantastic.
It's plenty loud for me right now but no drone at all and doesn't annoy the neighbours. But I could definitely enjoy something louder! Maybe next summer
Old 5/26/14, 04:38 PM
Cobra Member

Can you return an intake? How does this even work lol...

It says my order has been shipped... I ordered it from american muscle.
Old 5/26/14, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Im tempted to get the Roush axlebacks...
Old 5/26/14, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can you return an intake? How does this even work lol...

It says my order has been shipped... I ordered it from american muscle.
same way you would return anything else you buy? get an return authorization from the seller and send it back?
Old 5/26/14, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you notice any difference worthy of mention?

Just ordered the Airaid for my GT.

Now, i had the Airaid on my previous v6... and difference it made in sound was day and night. Almost sounded close to a v8 under load.

To those of you with GTs, and no tune... did the intake make a noticeable difference... especially with regards to sound? Taking into account the difference it made in my v6 im hoping it will make my GT sound even meaner
I would say a CAI is absolutely worth it if you plan on down the road doing a full exhaust setup such as: Long tube headers, off road or catted mid pipes, Boss intake manifold, aftermarket axle backs. The CAI will help the engine breath better and more air in, faster air comes out, the more power it makes.
Old 5/27/14, 01:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look if you want it get it! From your first post you liked the sound in your other car right?
It will give a small gain but not much at all. If you plan on doing more mods to you car in the future it is a starting point. Then next you get axle back or a tune and so on and on and on and on.
Old 5/27/14, 02:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid a little more than that for my Kooks and installed them myself.
Old 5/27/14, 04:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Nice to see your first mod! But I'm with the others... Should have gotten an exhaust instead. Better gains to your ears than your butt.

I had the airraid without tune. sounded nice, but hardly any gain if at all.

Exhaust for sure... But skip the gt500 and go for something a bit louder and of high quality.

Quick Reply: For those with cold air intakes and no tune...