2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
View Poll Results: What color stripes?
Blue (like 07-09 GT500)
26.03%
Silver (like Shelby GT)
26.03%
Flat Black (to match the other black pieces)
32.88%
None
15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

thinking about stripes on my car

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/10 | 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad

Let me know if you run across anyone selling the LeMans stripe kits in Avery vinyls.
This guy does stripes in 3M or Avery.. http://stores.ebay.com/MoProAuto/Mus...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 9/22/10 | 11:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
This guy does stripes in 3M or Avery.. http://stores.ebay.com/MoProAuto/Mus...=p4634.c0.m322
Thanks – I’ll have to investigate more in-depth tonight, but at first glance it didn’t appear he had Avery metallic colors available, only non-metallics. Still, he may be able to get the Avery metallics, even if it’s at a bit of a surcharge.
Old 9/22/10 | 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whewww.....well this took almost all day. If you're the least bit OCD or don't have a lot of patience, don't try this at home! The wide stripes are a bigger challenge due to the size and car curvatures. Took a lot of massaging to get everything to lay right. The kit was cut perfectly though and you end up doing the rear in 6 sections. Roof was the toughest. I'm sure the narrow stripes would be much easier to work with as well as having a second set of hands to help!

Last edited by Modshack; 9/22/10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 9/22/10 | 01:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Whewww.....well this took almost all day. If you're the least bit OCD or don't have a lot of patience, don't try this at home! The wide stripes are a bigger challenge due to the size and car curvatures. Took a lot of massaging to get it right. I'm sure the narrow stripes would be much easier to work with!

Steve, I must say...that is absolutely PERFECT! Great job man and I'm not just saying that! Just re-affirms why I recommended gray stripes to the OC.

Need pics of the front!
Old 9/22/10 | 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Steve, I must say...that is absolutely PERFECT! Great job man and I'm not just saying that! Just re-affirms why I recommended gray stripes to the OC.

Need pics of the front!
Thanks Stang! It was a lot of work...Still haven't peeled the clear mask off the front yet (Leave a lot of drying time between squeegeeing and peeling) but here it is:

Old 9/22/10 | 01:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

absolutely stunning!

I like white on stangs as is, but the color and style of the stripes you picked really make the car pop. Matches the brembo wheels perfectly.

Old 9/22/10 | 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Pure sex, Steve! Don't forget to drop in on the 370Z crowd for an update!
Old 9/22/10 | 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Killer job, Steve! (I'm still planning to get blue stripes!!) Too bad you can't show both the stripes AND the siiick powder-coated Steeda CAI at the same time. Maybe time for a phantom image/trick photography?
Old 9/22/10 | 08:44 PM
Cobra R Member

GOOD NEWS! The eBay seller responded to my inquiry in the affirmative that YES, he can produce those stripes in the Avery metallic colors as well. (Didn't mention any upcharge either)

Yea!! My stripes are getting closer, and $179 is bargainacious! Since I have little eyesight or patience left for tedious work, I now need to check with my neighbor who does graphics to see what he'll charge me to do a professional install.
Old 9/22/10 | 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

GOOD NEWS! .
Great!
Old 9/22/10 | 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Steve the color on those gray stripes looks great. And they're aligned right. But I still think vinyl stripes look like crap. The white border where the vinyl stops just shy of the window/weatherseal/rear diffuser/trunklid/faux gascap looks so bad. They would look SOOOO much better painted on. Or at least use a custom vinyl shop that will cut them all the way to the window/bumper lines and not a precut kit.

Lastly, I think they'd look a lot better if you stopped them either right before, or at the spoiler. You abbreviated them on the hood bulge, the OCD in me is saying it's wrong to go all the way down with the rear stripes.....

Sorry to nitpick, but JMO. The color and the stripe pattern look totally awesome, just unfinished.

OP, what are your plans for wheels? If you do silver or black or gray wheels, I'd have the stripes match that color!
Old 9/22/10 | 10:26 PM
GT Member

Looking Sweet Modshack On the 2010 & 2011 i like the hoods stripes to starting at the cal bump alot better than if they start at the front of the hood.
Old 9/23/10 | 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

DUDE!
Old 9/23/10 | 06:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Found out today that this guy doesn't sell convertible kits, only kits for the coupe. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Back to square one.
Old 9/23/10 | 06:52 PM
Banned

Found out today that this guy doesn't sell convertible kits, only kits for the coupe. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Back to square one.
Dumb question maybe, but can't you use the coupe ones and just not use the roof part? You might have to trim around the rear window area, but at least you'd get the stripes you want.
Old 9/23/10 | 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Dumb question maybe, but can't you use the coupe ones and just not use the roof part? You might have to trim around the rear window area, but at least you'd get the stripes you want.
Yeah...Exactly. Dunno if the rear deck shape is any different, but you'll have plenty of material to fit it. The top rear deck is the easiest part.....Everything else is the same. .This is not a problem, nor even a Macgyver challenge!
Old 9/23/10 | 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why is painted always better? I've seen quality 3M that looks great and you can always change your mind....or color down the road. Painted is permanent....like a bad tattoo.
Old 9/24/10 | 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Back to square one.

Really?........
Old 9/24/10 | 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
I thought of that and want to confirm with a local installer first, before I plunk down any money. It seems possible to me, but I may be overlooking something having not installed large decals before. Shoot, I have trouble getting even small ones applied without air bubbles in them, so obviously I am helpless.

BTW, no pics but today I saw THE most egregious "Wannabe" stripe job: a 2002-ish SN95 GT with two big wide black stripes about 10 inches apart going across the top, "SHELBY" in HUGE letters across the top of the windshield, "GT350" in large, generic-looking lettering (like you'd see on the side of a mailbox) in the black side stripes, and then "SHELBY" across the rear bumper in black generic-looking letters, just above the stock molded "Mustang GT" recessed in the plastic bumper (if it had at least been a Cobra, it would have said "Cobra" across the back instead of "Mustang GT" right?). There also was "Supercharged" lettering on it, but I kind of doubt that since the rest of the car was so asinine.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/24/10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 9/24/10 | 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought of that and want to confirm with a local installer first, before I plunk down any money. It seems possible to me, but I may be overlooking something having not installed large decals before. Shoot, I have trouble getting even small ones applied without ait bubbles in them, so obviously I am helpless.
Trust me, that will not be an issue (the fit). On the bubbles, most large decals/stripes are installed wet using a mix of water with a few drops of detergent. This allows you to position the stripes, then squeegee out the water so it adheres evenly. It's rare to get bubbles if your squeegee technique is good. If you do end up with a few small ones, just ***** the bubble with a pin and squeegee flat again..A pro knows how to do all this, so don't worry about it..

Last edited by Modshack; 9/24/10 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: thinking about stripes on my car