Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of 2013 GT, need some input!

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/12, 05:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thinking of 2013 GT, need some input!

I've got my 07 GT and I really like it, but looking at NADA and KBB trade-in values, I'm only about $13k-$15k from a new GT (maybe more to go with a Premium GT). The newer GTs still feel/look a lot like the 05-09 S197s, but with a different engine. My 07 GT got into a minor accident with about $1000 in damage to the front fender, but a voice is telling me that since the residual value is still good - to just go to a newer Stang.

How bad is the Getrag 6-speed manual? I heard it is made in China and has lots of problems??

Is the drivetrain still clunky? Should I just go with the automatic?

Are there any other problems with the newer GTs? My 07 seems to suck the battery dry in a month if I don't use the Tender.

What options should be mandatory? I know I want the Track Package for sure, but I'm torn between leather seats or to stick with cloth seats again. I'm not sure if I want SYNC, I heard lots of complaints.

Do I need to go Premium to get HID headlights? I do a lot of driving in the dark, but don't ever plan to drive in snow/ice.

I appreciate any input you might have.
Old 4/27/12, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
I've got my 07 GT and I really like it, but looking at NADA and KBB trade-in values, I'm only about $13k-$15k from a new GT (maybe more to go with a Premium GT). The newer GTs still feel/look a lot like the 05-09 S197s, but with a different engine. My 07 GT got into a minor accident with about $1000 in damage to the front fender, but a voice is telling me that since the residual value is still good - to just go to a newer Stang.

How bad is the Getrag 6-speed manual? I heard it is made in China and has lots of problems??

Is the drivetrain still clunky? Should I just go with the automatic?

Are there any other problems with the newer GTs? My 07 seems to suck the battery dry in a month if I don't use the Tender.

What options should be mandatory? I know I want the Track Package for sure, but I'm torn between leather seats or to stick with cloth seats again. I'm not sure if I want SYNC, I heard lots of complaints.

Do I need to go Premium to get HID headlights? I do a lot of driving in the dark, but don't ever plan to drive in snow/ice.

I appreciate any input you might have.
I have an 11 gt and love it, I test drove the 13 and it feels even better and more solid than mine. I say if you have the money then go for it.

As far as the tranny, it is still clunky but smoother in the 13's than my 11. I believe most of these incident are rather isolated. The reason you hear about them so much is because your are on a forum full of these cars.

Many people say the recaros are a must. I don't care about them because I never plan in tracking it and I use my car alot. I would go for the brembo package though.

Never used sync.

HIDs are now standard on ALL mustangs

Hope this helps!!
Old 4/27/12, 06:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I noticed the GT Premium is the only way to get the Shaker. But if I get SYNC with the base GT, do I get a USB port? I just need a USB port to play my music - but I'm not sure how bad the stock audio system is compared to the Shaker. I'm not an audiophile, just need some background driving music.

I see there is about a $5k price delta for the Premium if I want Track Apps, MyColor, etc... and my current GT is pretty stripped down because of the same reason in 2006. Is the Premium package really worth it? I just want a go-fast race-like daily driver, something Steve McQueen would drive.
Old 4/27/12, 08:00 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the 301A package - base GT with cloth interior, but it has SYNC so you get the USB port and power driver's seat. The Getrag transmission isn't horrible, but it's not great either. Mine shifts much better now with an MGW Ltd shifter assembly. The automatic cars feel sluggish, but they're quick at the dragstrip, so it's just an illusion.

I, too, had an '07 GT. It was supercharged, but the new 5.0L is nearly as powerful so I don't even miss having the supercharger. I would advise you to follow your instincts and get the new one!
Old 4/27/12, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

I noticed the GT Premium is the only way to get the Shaker. But if I get SYNC with the base GT, do I get a USB port? I just need a USB port to play my music - but I'm not sure how bad the stock audio system is compared to the Shaker. I'm not an audiophile, just need some background driving music.

I see there is about a $5k price delta for the Premium if I want Track Apps, MyColor, etc... and my current GT is pretty stripped down because of the same reason in 2006. Is the Premium package really worth it? I just want a go-fast race-like daily driver, something Steve McQueen would drive.
Check out the vids on my youtube channel of the track pack Mustangs. The Race Red is awesome with the leather Recaros.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ace72ace?feature=mhee

If you want leather Recaros, you have to get the GT Premium, if you want cloth Recaros, base GT w/Tech Package. You can get Track Pack with both. I'd recommend the GT Premium, you get a lot for your money, and the Shaker 500 is supposedly much improved. Find a dealer that has one and see for yourself.
Old 4/27/12, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

the premium is about 3k more? how good are the recaros? is the reverse sensing any good?
Old 4/27/12, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I traded my CLEAN '07 in on a '13 and I don't miss my '07 one bit. I LOVE my 2013 Race Red Beast!!!

sigpic1.jpg?t=1335482816

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4/27/12, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

How much were you able to get for your 2007 on the trade?
Old 4/27/12, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

How much were you able to get for your 2007 on the trade?

$18k in total OEM trim. All mods were taken off and sold before trade, including aftermarket wheels.
Old 4/27/12, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I took a 2013 GT for a test drive (only one in the dealer) and had to go through a lot of BS from a senior sales person. He figures I am some young punk out to test drive and walk away.

Anyhow, it was an automatic with the select shift. I tested out the manual mode and it is a piece of crap. The delay is very noticeable and the upshift is harsh. It feels like my 4R70W when I force it to downshift into 3rd, 2nd, or 1st. I was not impressed. In automatic mode, there's nothing to write home about. It works fine for normal cruising, but I wouldn't use it for road racing.

The sound tube that transmits the V8 sound into the cabin made it sound very bad. The drone is noticeable and not something I like, I heard this drone with the 2010 Rental V6 I had for an entire week and with a 420 hp V8, it should not need this rubbish.

The entire car felt exactly like my 2007 GT - down to the button locations and overall feel of the car.

There was a 2012 Boss 302 in the showroom with the cloth Recaro seats. I could see noticeable wear on the side bolsters from people entering/exiting the car. If I were to get a 2013, I'd opt for the standard seats (leather or cloth). The Recaro wasn't anything to write home about, IMHO.

Last edited by metroplex; 4/27/12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 4/27/12, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

^^^That's exactly why I got a Base GT w/3.73 gears for invoice! I'll fix it just like I want!
Old 4/27/12, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Brembo brakes were really really good though. The pedal feel is very short and stiff, just like the factory Brembos on my Cobalt SS Turbo. There is an incredible amount of grip with those brakes. I'd definitely opt for the Track Package. After the test drive, I hopped in my 07 GT and the difference in braking is noticeable. My pedal travel is longer and a bit mushier, and the grip isn't as intense.