2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

That's the sound of the police!

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/11, 06:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1bad I got the same wreckless driving for speed 2 years ago and because I had a passenger thay added "Driving to endanger passenger" on top of it. In CT sent in not-quilty, went in a suit to court and the prosecuter reduced it to the min offense because of a clean record. I drive sloowww now
Old 6/30/11, 06:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago (1991) I got a ticket in Newport News. My judge was Judge Harvelle, a.k.a. "Horrible Harvelle", who was notoriously merciless, and true to his reputation, he showed me none. I hope for your sake he is retired by now. I am totally serious!
Old 6/30/11, 06:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
wow reckless for 81mph is harsh, that's just normal traveling speed here in MA
Yeah in NH/MA I get passed by mini vans and little old ladies going to work in the morning when I have the cruise set for 75 in a 55.

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Lawyer up. You don't want to answer to a reckless charge in VA without one.
Agreed.
My lawyer up here can practice in VA, but I think he would charge to much for travel to hire him.
Old 6/30/11, 07:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by karman
Yeah in NH/MA I get passed by mini vans and little old ladies going to work in the morning when I have the cruise set for 75 in a 55.

Agreed.
My lawyer up here can practice in VA, but I think he would charge to much for travel to hire him.
Is he your cousin? Named Vinny?
Old 6/30/11, 07:19 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Is he your cousin? Named Vinny?
You are going to like this answer:
YES
But no, he is not a Vinny.
Old 6/30/11, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karman
You are going to like this answer:
YES
But no, he is not a Vinny.
Lol...What in the heck is a yute? What a great line!
Old 6/30/11, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1badmax
Well, today my driving finally got the best of me. I got caught going 81mph in a 60mph, which is considered "Reckless Driving" here in VA. It's definitely a wake up call that I need to slow down.

Question is for anyone in VA, should I get an attorney or not. I'm just trying to lessen the blow to my driving record. I haven't had a ticket or been stopped in almost 8 years. Thanks for any help!
I'm not in VA; but, I think you need to lawyer up. A good lawyer will get this reduced in court. 2k is nothing compared to what that reckless op will do to your insurance.

And, btw- reckless op for 81 in a 60 is almost always ridiculous. So long as you were traveling with the flow of traffic, you should not have been ticketed. 81 isn't bad when everyone else is going 81. It's bad when everyone else is going 55.
Old 6/30/11, 10:07 PM

To 1badmax.

I hear you. Even though it was NN where you got nailed(were you on Rt 64), the Williamsburg area poses some real problems with speed limits. They change very quickly and the tourists get hurt badly. Good luck with the outcome.

I've got a Black 12 and live in Williamsburg, so I know first hand about those limits and problems.
Old 7/1/11, 05:11 AM

Here in Texas, defensive driving can get things lessened/dismissed but only if you take it AFTER the judge has given the option. Taking it within 12 months before the violation would make you ineligible for it's benefits. VA is probably different though.
Old 7/1/11, 06:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JKVStang
Here in Texas, defensive driving can get things lessened/dismissed but only if you take it AFTER the judge has given the option. Taking it within 12 months before the violation would make you ineligible for it's benefits. VA is probably different though.
Yep, i got pulled over for goin 40 in a 35 (late for school, goin around an ol lady goin 25) and a motorcycle cop on a bmw bike got me. He was really chill about the whole thing and he was gonna let me go. But his captain was right there and he said that they just get too many complaints of people flyin down tht street goin 50+ so i was just unlucky. Only had to pay 120 and defensive drivin took out 6hrs of my life and removed this incident from my record. Sometimes the law aint so bad(:
Old 7/1/11, 09:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
wow reckless for 81mph is harsh, that's just normal traveling speed here in MA
While this is true on the major highways, the margin is no where near as generous here on backroads. If you get caught doing 45 in a 30 after being clean for more than 6 years your insurance rates will go up for the next six years - at a cost of roughly $2000 cumulatively - and we have no option to take a course to wipe the record clean like other states. Same is true if you fail to get your car inspected - it counts the same as a speeding ticket.
Old 7/1/11, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rhans
While this is true on the major highways, the margin is no where near as generous here on backroads. If you get caught doing 45 in a 30 after being clean for more than 6 years your insurance rates will go up for the next six years - at a cost of roughly $2000 cumulatively - and we have no option to take a course to wipe the record clean like other states. Same is true if you fail to get your car inspected - it counts the same as a speeding ticket.
Wow, same as a speeding ticket for no inspection? In Texas you have 30 days from the ticket to get it inspected then you pay $10 dollars to the court. One time my inspection was 11 months out of date and I got the ticket. Paid the $10 then got inspected for $12 (College Station has no emissions fees that jack the price up) and wound up saving money ($2 dollars, but hey).
Old 7/1/11, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rhans
While this is true on the major highways, the margin is no where near as generous here on backroads.Same is true if you fail to get your car inspected - it counts the same as a speeding ticket.
+1 for NH
The cops here sit on the side of the road checking inspection stickers as the cars go by.
As I've said before, the salt in the winter up here rots the cars and stuff falls off.
Inspection is kinda important here.
Old 7/1/11, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be a cold day in hell before I hired a lawyer. Just show up and go in front of the judge, chances are the PO will approach before you go up.
Have them knock it down to failure to obey a traffic sign (non moving violation in Mass, NY, NJ and PA - don't ask me how I know this LOL)
Old 7/1/11, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjjiii
It would be a cold day in hell before I hired a lawyer. Just show up and go in front of the judge, chances are the PO will approach before you go up.
Have them knock it down to failure to obey a traffic sign (non moving violation in Mass, NY, NJ and PA - don't ask me how I know this LOL)
Well that is not always true, but it is most often the case.
That is why you should never "just pay the ticket".
A good lawyer can get it knocked down to "filed without a finding".
That is NO violation at all (which is even a little better than non moving violation).
Old 7/1/11, 07:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by retiredf5
I've got a Black 12 and live in Williamsburg, so I know first hand about those limits and problems.
We Williamsburg folks ought to get together! You & 1badmax plus me makes 3 so far. I would love it if there was a way to hold a big car show at that abandoned campground by the ferry. What a great venue that would be!
Old 7/2/11, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
get a lawyer. Make sure he is friendly with the da
Old 7/2/11, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

I've decided against a lawyer. I'll take my chances with the judge and then if they say I'm convicted of "Reckless Driving" I'll just appeal.
Old 7/2/11, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1badmax
I've decided against a lawyer. I'll take my chances with the judge and then if they say I'm convicted of "Reckless Driving" I'll just appeal.
Be careful.
Appeals can be easily rejected. You need proper grounds for an appeal.
The best way to approach things on your own is to contact the prosecuting attorney before the court date to see what his feelings are about the case.
Some will propose alternatives to help resolve things without a big fight.
Better to know up front what is going on than to throw yourself at the mercy of the court.
Old 7/2/11, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Good stuff Karman.

Quick Reply: That's the sound of the police!