Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

That's the sound of the police!

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 07:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the sound of the police!

Well, today my driving finally got the best of me. I got caught going 81mph in a 60mph, which is considered "Reckless Driving" here in VA. It's definitely a wake up call that I need to slow down.

Question is for anyone in VA, should I get an attorney or not. I'm just trying to lessen the blow to my driving record. I haven't had a ticket or been stopped in almost 8 years. Thanks for any help!
Old 6/29/11, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Anything over 80 is reckless by statute in VA. I wouldnt pay for an Atty for that. Some advise would be to take a court recognized safe driving class before the court date and bring the certification with you. You could also have your speedometer calibrated (especially if you have any wheel or suspention mods) usually they are a few mph off which could get you down to general speeding. Dress nice and speak intelligently and polite in court. Bring your drivers transcript (obtain from DMV) with you and show the judge that you have not recived any tickets in 8 years. Most of the time judges will find you guilty of general speeding which will save you some points on your license. Good luck and keep it under 80! Most jurisdictions in the Commonwealth will give you 10 and sometimes 15 mph before a ticket but not over 80.
Old 6/29/11, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

A friend from NY state got a speeding ticket in Virginia. He lawyered up and got the ticket dismissed. By all means, get a lawyer. It's much cheaper in the end.
Old 6/30/11, 06:50 AM
V6 Member

Well, I inquired online about an attorney and was given an estimated price of $2000 which is pretty steep if you ask me.

I do agree with 12GTBLK that if I already had the "Defensive Driving" certificate and my driving record on me which happens to be clean for the past 8 years, I should be ok. From what I've read, most first time offenders will have the charge reduced to "Speeding" and receive up to a $500 fine.
Old 6/30/11, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

wow reckless for 81mph is harsh, that's just normal traveling speed here in MA
Old 6/30/11, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xlover
wow reckless for 81mph is harsh, that's just normal traveling speed here in MA
Part of our main highway here in texas is about to be 85! Scary to imagine how fast ppl will rlly be goin
Old 6/30/11, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinoy361
Part of our main highway here in texas is about to be 85! Scary to imagine how fast ppl will rlly be goin
Many people assume that the majority of drivers will always drive X mph over the speed limit regardless of what the limit is. In reality, several studies have shown that the higher the speed limit, the greater the compliance.
Old 6/30/11, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1badmax
Well, I inquired online about an attorney and was given an estimated price of $2000 which is pretty steep if you ask me.

I do agree with 12GTBLK that if I already had the "Defensive Driving" certificate and my driving record on me which happens to be clean for the past 8 years, I should be ok. From what I've read, most first time offenders will have the charge reduced to "Speeding" and receive up to a $500 fine.
What part of VA are you in? I got a reckless earlier this year in Loudoun County and the attorney I used was $750. They also appeared for me so I didn't need to show up to court.

At first I was not going to get an attorney as I hadn't had a ticket in over 7 years, but the more I researched it and talked with others I decided it was in my best interest. If you decide not to get an attorney be aware that if convicted of reckless it will remain on your record for 11 years, get 6 points, a fine of up to $2,500 and/or 1 year in jail. Reckless in Virginia is a class 1 misdemeanor criminal charge; which is the same as a DUI/DWI.

In the end I wound up paying $750 for an attorney, $100 fine and a general speeding ticket for 74 in a 55. Also if you are interested in a driving school try out the online one for Virginia found here.
Old 6/30/11, 11:24 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by VA Raptor
What part of VA are you in? I got a reckless earlier this year in Loudoun County and the attorney I used was $750. They also appeared for me so I didn't need to show up to court.

At first I was not going to get an attorney as I hadn't had a ticket in over 7 years, but the more I researched it and talked with others I decided it was in my best interest. If you decide not to get an attorney be aware that if convicted of reckless it will remain on your record for 11 years, get 6 points, a fine of up to $2,500 and/or 1 year in jail. Reckless in Virginia is a class 1 misdemeanor criminal charge; which is the same as a DUI/DWI.

In the end I wound up paying $750 for an attorney, $100 fine and a general speeding ticket for 74 in a 55. Also if you are interested in a driving school try out the online one for Virginia found here.
I'm live in Williamsburg, but was caught in Newport News. Today, I got a copy of my driving record and I have no points, so zero prior charges. In addition, I'll be taking the Defensive Driving course you recommended, so thanks on that one. Now, I did go and talk with the local police department here and asked them what they recommended. The officer told me that as long as I had no priors and I showed up with a certificate for Defensive Driving I should be fine; he thought I'd probably be charged with Improper Driving and have to pay a fine of around $250 or less. He said the points will be canceled out do to my "5" safe points I'll receive for the class. I'm still going to check on an Attorney, but I'm hoping to not need one.

Last edited by 1badmax; 6/30/11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 6/30/11, 01:00 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

This is why I got an attorney, and along with the Safe Drivers Course I got mine dropped to straight speeding. I an attorney that I had used in the past, and he charged me $350. Money well worth it.

Last edited by NJ3; 6/30/11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 6/30/11, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Reckless in Virginia is a class 1 misdemeanor criminal charge; which is the same as a DUI/DWI
Old 6/30/11, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

mental note- dont move to VA ever
Old 6/30/11, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

$2000 is an absurd fee. Find a better lawyer to help you.
Old 6/30/11, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Many people assume that the majority of drivers will always drive X mph over the speed limit regardless of what the limit is. In reality, several studies have shown that the higher the speed limit, the greater the compliance.
Strangely enough this is very true. A street behind my neighbourhood is 35 but ppl go 45-50 all the time. On the highway most either peg the limit or are slightly under.
Old 6/30/11, 02:23 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
Agreed...and I thought Californi was bad, sheesh
Old 6/30/11, 03:56 PM

I'm live in Williamsburg, but was caught in Newport News. Today, I got a copy of my driving record and I have no points, so zero prior charges. In addition, I'll be taking the Defensive Driving course you recommended, so thanks on that one. Now, I did go and talk with the local police department here and asked them what they recommended. The officer told me that as long as I had no priors and I showed up with a certificate for Defensive Driving I should be fine; he thought I'd probably be charged with Improper Driving and have to pay a fine of around $250 or less. He said the points will be canceled out do to my "5" safe points I'll receive for the class. I'm still going to check on an Attorney, but I'm hoping to not need one.
I had +4 points on my driving record, but my main fear was getting a judge in a bad mood wanting to use me, with a high performance car, as an example.
Old 6/30/11, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
Bleeep------ Wrong answer
(I fixed it for ya)... mental note- Obey traffic laws

Well, today my driving finally got the best of me. I got caught going 81mph in a 60mph, which is considered "Reckless Driving" here in VA. It's definitely a wake up call that I need to slow down.
Ding..Ding...Ding--------- Right Answer

Everyone please drive safe this Independence Day weekend. Have a happy Forth of July!!
Old 6/30/11, 04:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I fully understand. And Williamsburg is a place that is TIGHTLY enforced! Jamestown road USED to be 45 mph all the way, but the busybodies were complaining about some folks going 50 or 55, so instead of just enforcing the limit, they reduced it to 35 and then CLAMPED down! I ride the ferry every day, and if you didn't notice the signs you'd swear the last hill down to the dock has a speed limit of 45. NOPE - it's 25, and the cops post-up all the time.

So you have to pick your spots, and then FULLY comply with all speed/traffic laws 100% of the rest of the time (and abandon all hope of going anywhere in Williamsburg quickly). That's worked well for me.

I have to go back to my dealer, Hall Ford, soon so I will be back in Newport News in the next few days. Yikes!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 6/30/11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 6/30/11, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, I'll agree you definitely should abide by the laws. The thing is that almost everyone speeds at least some of the time and if they say they don't they're either lying or they're over 75 years old. I'll definitely be watching my speed from now on that's for sure. For me it's was a wake up call in the fact that I drove a lot of the time in an aggressive manner; not like a complete a**hole, but aggressive none the less.

Every state has their own laws and we have to abide by them whether we believe in them or not. I'll agree that calling it "Reckless Driving" is a little extreme. I just hope this state has mercy on me and doesn't throw the book at me.
Old 6/30/11, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lawyer up. You don't want to answer to a reckless charge in VA without one.

Quick Reply: That's the sound of the police!