2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Suspicions on the Timeframe...

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/08, 09:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as the car keeps looking fresh i'll be happy. No offence to the fox body guys but a model run from 79-93 with mostly minor cosmetic details (styling) drove me crazy. Though I think the current gen could be kept fresher from minor tweaks here n there. I like how minor tweaks of the 94-98 (tail lights) and 99-04 (headlights, hood, spoiler) made model years actually appear different from one another. The 05-08 cars are cool but not many differences besides wheels and the optional hood scoop that i kinda dislike. I'm thinkin Ford should maybe change the tail lights, spoiler, hood or grille design for 09' to make them at least a little bit different. Maybe its just me but i'd rather spend $20,000 for a low mileage fully loaded 05' GT insted of paying over 30 for an 08' that has the same power, and inside and out looks exactly the same.
Old 1/8/08, 09:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
IMO ! It also wouldn't make much sense. If Ford were to build the next generation Mustang within just 2-3 years, before reaching it's 50th anniversary.
Ford's cars are never built on time (05' Mustang, 07' GT500, Fusion, F150......)
Old 1/9/08, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still believe the Camaro is the main reason Ford seems to be moving the date around. They will make as many changes as they can afford and have time to do in order to release just before or right at the time Camaro. I feel Ford is just laying in the weeds waiting for Camaro to make the first move then Bang! "How About These Apples Chevy? I sure hope they are thinking like that. I sure would be. Then the 2012 totally new car Takes the Cake on Chevy! Hee Hee Gonna Be Fun to watch anyway. I can't wait
Old 1/9/08, 11:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
The mustang may not be on huntsman... but the global RWD platform (developed in Detroit) which is not huntsman (developed down-under)
Spooky, just read this:

http://www.autoblog.com/category/ford/

Like General Motors, Ford may be shifting its powertrain development away from V8 engines for its passenger cars in favor of its EcoBoost powertrains that use turbocharging and direct injection to make up for a lack of displacement. Also like GM, that doesn't mean the Blue Oval will be abandoning big, rear-wheel-drive vehicles in the future. Automotive News reports that execs from Ford have confirmed that the automaker is developing a new rear-wheel-drive architecture. Details are scarce, but Ford leaders, including group vice president of global manufacturing Joe Hinrichs, said that even if the company decides to use a new rear-wheel-drive architecture being developed in Australia, that doesn't mean production of the platform for export to global markets including the U.S. would necessarily be sourced in Oz. This is where Ford parts ways with GM, which is sourcing production for its rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform used in such vehicles as the 2008 Pontiac G8 and 2009 Chevy Camaro in Australia.

As for what rear-wheel-drive vehicles we can expect from Ford in the future, your guess is as good as ours. It gives us hope that a right-wheel-driven production sedan based on the
Ford Interceptor concept (shown above) is still being considered, which is something you would already know if you've seen the movie I Am Legend.
Old 1/9/08, 02:01 PM
GT Member

2013 Mustang II

This sort of thing is creepy. But, if y'all notice, with the new CAFE regulations having just passed, I think we're going to start to see all Auto manufacturers start phasing out V-8 engines and reducing horsepower in favor of greater fuel efficiency. I think the "horsepower wars" may be just about over, which will really suck, because I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my 2007 V6 Pony to a 2009 GT (or possibly even a Mach 1).

Don't believe me? I just read at autoextremist.com that Cadillac will be dropping the V-8 engine from all models by 2010. While that may prove to be a huge mistake (because Cadillac buyers who want V-8 power won't mind paying more for gas), the fact remains that this is happening.

What if there is no V-8 engine in the 2010 Mustang? Everyone keeps dreaming and pleading for 350HP-400HP but have any of you considered the possibility that Ford might, in order to sell more cars that regular people want to buy, might put in a more fuel efficient engine which only has 200HP-250HP?

I'm starting to wonder if the 2010-2012 refreshed S197 will be equivalent to the 1971-1973 models, still classic but every year the performance goes down. This will of course culminate in the 2013 Mustang II in which the car gets 40 miles to the gallon, is plush on the inside with every manner of useless electronic gadgets (Microsoft Sync anyone?), but has barely the acceleration to outrun a Prius.

Frankly, ladies and gentlemen, I feel like it's 1970 all over again, and I want to be the guy who buys the last muscle car before the next dark age ruins all the fun.
Old 1/9/08, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, the new Ecoboost V6 makes much more power then the curent V8 called 'at least 350hp' by Ford now....And the motor EXISTS, the MKS is designed around using it, and Flex is also on the list of candidates. Ford is quite clear there are turbo V8's in the works as well. Maybe 400hp is not asking for enough Even just using the D35 in the Edge at 263hp in the V6(which people are tuning to around 298hp now) would make the V6 powerful enough to need a bit more for the GT then the curent hp levels. Ford might be in a state of mind now to get good reliability reviews and are getting them, even from CR-they may also be in the mind set of 'enough of this Hemi $#*! already'...

I'm not exactly a fan of the EcoBoost name, but it would be funny if the happy-happy-joy-joy 'EcoBoost' V8 thrashes the HEMI in power And if they can get a tranny like the new Ford/GM 6F for the RWD cars it would be great, the tranny in the Edge is like friggin butter. Toyota wishes they had a transmission so smooth.

I don't know, what if the next car has IRS, gizmos like sync and a glass roof and runs 12.9's stock with a turbo V6(let alone what bolt-ons would do to that) with a 6A, would it be that bad? I have a feeling a lot will be unvailed with the 09 F150 powertrain options.

Price-point wise I would imagine the next 'pony' V6 will be the 3.5 at the curent 265hp level.
Old 1/9/08, 03:39 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCC07
Frankly, ladies and gentlemen, I feel like it's 1970 all over again, and I want to be the guy who buys the last muscle car before the next dark age ruins all the fun.
The situation today is drastically different than 1970.

The high performance engines of the 1960s were NOT dropped due to gas mileage, contrary to what appears to be the accepted belief today.

The first Arab oil embargo did not occur until October 1973. The push to improve mileage followed the oil embargo.

The muscle car engines of the 60s were dropped in 1971 - 1972 due to emissions requirements. Again, contrary to popular belief the real high HP muscle cars were a very small part of total car sales in those years and sales slumped in 1970 - 71 due to huge increases in insurance cost on muscle cars. So the performance engines were dropped simply because it made no economic sense to spend the engineering $$ required to make them meet the new emissions requirements.
Old 1/10/08, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Um, the new Ecoboost V6 makes much more power then the curent V8 called 'at least 350hp' by Ford now....And the motor EXISTS, the MKS is designed around using it, and Flex is also on the list of candidates. Ford is quite clear there are turbo V8's in the works as well. Maybe 400hp is not asking for enough Even just using the D35 in the Edge at 263hp in the V6(which people are tuning to around 298hp now) would make the V6 powerful enough to need a bit more for the GT then the curent hp levels. Ford might be in a state of mind now to get good reliability reviews and are getting them, even from CR-they may also be in the mind set of 'enough of this Hemi $#*! already'...

I'm not exactly a fan of the EcoBoost name, but it would be funny if the happy-happy-joy-joy 'EcoBoost' V8 thrashes the HEMI in power And if they can get a tranny like the new Ford/GM 6F for the RWD cars it would be great, the tranny in the Edge is like friggin butter. Toyota wishes they had a transmission so smooth.

I don't know, what if the next car has IRS, gizmos like sync and a glass roof and runs 12.9's stock with a turbo V6(let alone what bolt-ons would do to that) with a 6A, would it be that bad? I have a feeling a lot will be unvailed with the 09 F150 powertrain options.

Price-point wise I would imagine the next 'pony' V6 will be the 3.5 at the curent 265hp level.
I agree the EcoBoost name is terrible. What was wrong with TwinForce?

Anyway, I haven't driven the Edge so I can't speak to the smoothness of the tranny... but it needs manumatic overide. Maybe not so much in the Edge, but definitely in the Mustang.
Old 1/10/08, 03:42 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AWmustang
I agree the EcoBoost name is terrible. What was wrong with TwinForce?
Well, for one thing I doubt that there will be 2 turbos on the I4 engine.
Old 1/11/08, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V10
Well, for one thing I doubt that there will be 2 turbos on the I4 engine.
Fine that one can be the EcoBoost then.

Let the 6 and 8 be TwinForce **deep booming reverberation voice**
Old 1/11/08, 11:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
Fine that one can be the EcoBoost then.

Let the 6 and 8 be TwinForce **deep booming reverberation voice**
Nope, not how it works. EcoBoost will be for mainstream applications where they use the GTDI setup to increase power while maintaining high fuel efficientcy. The "efficiency of a 6, the power of an 8." The TwinForce name is supposedly going to be used for performance-oriented models where the setup is tuned for greater power instead of max efficiency.

This is a green-marketing campaign, not a performance marketing campaign. The TwinForce name doesn't sell as being green, and in order to sell the Explorer, Flex, base 'Stang, etc as efficient they need a name that makes all the great unwashed masses go "wow, that sounds green." Hence, EcoBoost.
Old 1/13/08, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Nope, not how it works. EcoBoost will be for mainstream applications where they use the GTDI setup to increase power while maintaining high fuel efficientcy. The "efficiency of a 6, the power of an 8." The TwinForce name is supposedly going to be used for performance-oriented models where the setup is tuned for greater power instead of max efficiency.

This is a green-marketing campaign, not a performance marketing campaign. The TwinForce name doesn't sell as being green, and in order to sell the Explorer, Flex, base 'Stang, etc as efficient they need a name that makes all the great unwashed masses go "wow, that sounds green." Hence, EcoBoost.
Well then by your own admission the 6 or at least the 8 twin turbo in the Mustang should be called TwinForce. Since performance would be more important to those buyers than efficiency.
Old 1/13/08, 08:42 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Thats If a twin force 8 is even offered. We may have to settle for the twin turbo 6. The way gas prices continue to sky rocket. Who knows what's going to take place within a year, before the 2010 Mustang launch.
Old 1/13/08, 09:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No one said the TwinForce5.0 would be offered as a standard engine or anything less than an SE/GT500 type of car....

Make no mistake though, Ford is looking at GTDI for the 5.0