2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

SPEED test drive eco boost v6

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/11, 07:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, The only option for more low end torque for a mustang is to supercharge a V8.

Mustangs deserve v8's and v8's deserve to be blown properly. No turbos or centrifugal superchargers for me.
Old 5/18/11, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well ford would most likely tune the engine differently for an EB6 mustang. Prilly enough to run low 13's to high 12's in the 1/4. And to get more low end power out of the v8's they should just lower the compression level and strap on a nice 2.8 KB blower. All problems solved
Old 5/19/11, 01:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
IMO, The only option for more low end torque for a mustang is to supercharge a V8.

Mustangs deserve v8's and v8's deserve to be blown properly. No turbos or centrifugal superchargers for me.
Have fun with your parasitic supercharger, I'll to with a twin turbo setup on the coyote myself. One of the coolest things about a turbo, at regular cruising speeds it actually improves gas mileage by 1-3 mpg.
Old 5/19/11, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie

Have fun with your parasitic supercharger, I'll to with a twin turbo setup on the coyote myself. One of the coolest things about a turbo, at regular cruising speeds it actually improves gas mileage by 1-3 mpg.
Have fun with your turbo lag and I'll have fun with my INSTANT boost.

Regardless, they're our cars and we all have our own ideas and opinions. That's why I said IMO before my last statement.
Old 5/19/11, 08:10 AM

Never have I ever considered a truck, but that video kinda made me want one... I know, sacrilege. Very interested to see if they drop this in the V6 Mustang in 2014...
Old 5/19/11, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Regardless, they're our cars and we all have our own ideas and opinions. That's why I said IMO before my last statement.
True true, I was a big fan of super chargers for a long time wanting to put one in my 69 Camaro. After doing a lot of research into turbos though I was swayed. I'm even planning on going with a bit different than usual install on them. It will be a remote setup with the actual turbos mounted down near the muffler area. Either way both get awesome power overall, with a bit of a downside to each.
Old 5/19/11, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hear you, Superchargers do make great power and very progressively build maximum power, but they all produce a whining noise that I simply don't prefer to endure. Like you said, we all have our ideas and opinions, or preferences.

My take is that I want more power w/o excessive noise. My stock '11 Mustang 5.0 is quieter than some rice burners, and that quietness is a characteristic I enjoy. I'm almost 40, use the car as a daily driver, and don't see the need for power to equal noise, even when I'm flying down the highway, or running down a virtual quarter mile.

Turbo's actually quiet down an engines exhaust noise, and the low-rpm torque from a turbo is very nice when cruising down the road and coming up on big incline or when needing to pass a car w/o bothering to change gears.

As for Turbo Lag, they are getting pretty good at tuning this out, and with a large V6 spinning a pair of smaller Turbo's, I would venture to say that the Turbo Lag is virtually non-existent.
Old 5/19/11, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Ecoboost
Attached Images  
Old 5/19/11, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

After seeing that EB f150 completely crush all v8 rivals I'd have to give it a big two thumbs up
With over 400 TQ to play with I couldn't complain
Old 5/19/11, 04:47 PM
GT Member

With other high performance cars (M3, namely) going the route of a turbo 6 cylinder, I wouldn't be surprised for forced induction 4 or 6 cylinder engines to be the norm in high performance vehicles in 5-10 years time. Especially with the 40 mpg (I think?) average CAFE mandate for 2015. That said, the notion of turbo lag is antiquated as they are quite good at producing full boost as low as 2-2.5K RPMs now if desired. I wouldn't mind seeing a small (4L?) turbo V8 for future GTs, which would still give us good low end torque and even better high end power. I don't think we'll see positive displacement superchargers on many future vehicles due to parasitic loss, and admittedly I don't know enough about centrifugal superchargers to know how they operate differently than turbos.
Old 5/22/11, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie

True true, I was a big fan of super chargers for a long time wanting to put one in my 69 Camaro. After doing a lot of research into turbos though I was swayed. I'm even planning on going with a bit different than usual install on them. It will be a remote setup with the actual turbos mounted down near the muffler area. Either way both get awesome power overall, with a bit of a downside to each.
Nice idea. Very similar to how the porsche 911 turbos are set up. Exhaust gasses always keepin to turbos spooled up and theres hardly any lag at all. Maybe more expensive set up but definutely worth
Old 5/22/11, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
Nice idea. Very similar to how the porsche 911 turbos are set up. Exhaust gasses always keepin to turbos spooled up and theres hardly any lag at all. Maybe more expensive set up but definutely worth
Its pretty cool. Not too sure how much the 5.0 system is cause it isn't on their site, but the main company that I've seen do it is Squire Turbo Systems. Here is their site, if anything it is an interesting read.

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 5/22/11, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice! Sounds like a great system. Didnt see what kinda power gains u might get tho?
Old 5/22/11, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Most of the systems seem to be at least 130HP, not sure how much boost that is though. Also the Coyote seems to react to boost a lot more than other engines with the high compression and rpms.

Edit: They don't have Coyote examples on there yet, only 4.6s. But if the Camaro LS3 is getting 200HP+ gains off of 7 pounds it seems like 600ish rwhp is pretty likely with that setup. And that was on a stock engine.

Last edited by FCMalie; 5/22/11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 5/22/11, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea the coyote engine does respond well the boost. I remember readin the article in "5.0 mustang" whete they compared it to a gt500 and it was makin at least 60+ hp at every boost level. The coyote engine really is a masterpiece
Old 5/22/11, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671

I hear you, Superchargers do make great power and very progressively build maximum power, but they all produce a whining noise that I simply don't prefer to endure. Like you said, we all have our ideas and opinions, or preferences.

My take is that I want more power w/o excessive noise. My stock '11 Mustang 5.0 is quieter than some rice burners, and that quietness is a characteristic I enjoy. I'm almost 40, use the car as a daily driver, and don't see the need for power to equal noise, even when I'm flying down the highway, or running down a virtual quarter mile.

Turbo's actually quiet down an engines exhaust noise, and the low-rpm torque from a turbo is very nice when cruising down the road and coming up on big incline or when needing to pass a car w/o bothering to change gears.

As for Turbo Lag, they are getting pretty good at tuning this out, and with a large V6 spinning a pair of smaller Turbo's, I would venture to say that the Turbo Lag is virtually non-existent.
Are you sure you're not going on 60 or 70? Noisy, haha
Old 5/22/11, 10:29 PM
GTR Member

These guys got over 32 mpg out of their ecoboost F150 supercrew on a cross-country trip. Only filled the tank three times in 2500 miles.

Must have been a very boring trip going so slow...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...st-pickup.html