Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sound tube mod...

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/10, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool.

The two sound clips I took don't really do the sound difference any justice... It does seem louder in person.
Old 6/27/10, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Ok guys, so here's my update. I had some free time Saturday to work on my car especially since my strut tower brace came in from Ford (same one as from Brembo package) and I wanted to install it. So I checked below the foot rest area for the second gray piece and for the life of me I could not find it. Long and behold I realized that I either did not have that piece or it came off when I took out the foam piece from the engine bay initially. I can't find where that second gray piece had fell if it was there to begin with . So basically the test I did prior was with both pieces removed after all. I still like it and it sounds good. Not really that hollow sounding as IT_Guru had mentioned but everyone's impressions can be different. Oh and those of you who don't have the Brembo package but want to order the strut bar, it does have some pretty noticeable differences in performance. The car corners a lot better when turning and putting a little gas on it. Bumps in the road don't seem as rough and the car doesn't feel like it's trying to get away from you as much when you floor it.

Last edited by WildPony619; 6/27/10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 6/27/10, 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WildPony619
Ok guys, so here's my update. I had some free time Saturday to work on my car especially since my strut tower brace came in from Ford (same one as from Brembo package) and I wanted to install it. So I checked below the foot rest area for the second gray piece and for the life of me I could not find it. Long and behold I realized that I either did not have that piece or it came off when I took out the foam piece from the engine bay initially. I can't find where that second gray piece had fell if it was there to begin with . So basically the test I did prior was without both pieces removed after all. I still like it and it sounds good. Not really that hollow sounding as IT_Guru had mentioned but everyone's impressions can be different. Oh and those of you who don't have the Brembo package but want to order the strut bar, it does and putting a little gas on it. Bumps in the road don't seem as rough and the car doesn't feel like it's trying to get away from you as much when you floor it.
Did your car come with 18's? Anyone who ordered 19s wether the Brembos, the machined, or the painted ones got a strut bar.. I thought yours had the painted 19s..
Old 6/27/10, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 28.
Did your car come with 18's? Anyone who ordered 19s wether the Brembos, the machined, or the painted ones got a strut bar.. I thought yours had the painted 19s..
Nope, I have a base GT with the stock 18" rims and no Brembo package.
Old 6/27/10, 05:58 PM

WildPony619
Do you have a link for the strut tower brace ??
Old 6/27/10, 06:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wolfy63
WildPony619
Do you have a link for the strut tower brace ??
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...=2&search=true

If the link above does not work, go to fordparts.com and search for part #16A200. Ford calls it a Fender Reinforcing Bar instead of Strut Tower Brace .
Old 6/28/10, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Back to the sound tube, as I understand it the sound tube is controlled by the throttle. Would it be a better mod to force open the tube so you hear idle sounds in the cabin or better to remove foam so when you throttle it you hear more of the engine? Or both?
Old 6/28/10, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Back to the sound tube, as I understand it the sound tube is controlled by the throttle. Would it be a better mod to force open the tube so you hear idle sounds in the cabin or better to remove foam so when you throttle it you hear more of the engine? Or both?
Personally I think removing the foam to hear the throttle is more enjoyable than hearing more idle noise. When you want to hear it, just open it up. If you don't, you still retain the occasionally nice quietness of the cabin. Although sometimes I do enjoy the sound of idle especially when paired with an aftermarket exhaust set up.
Old 6/28/10, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Agreed, I love how it's so quiet inside until you stomp on it. It's like the car comes alive.
Old 6/28/10, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Back to the sound tube, as I understand it the sound tube is controlled by the throttle. . . . .
I don't think the sound tube is "controlled" at all, it is just a tube sitting there to let sound through, with or without foam mufflers . . . there is nothing in the tube that opens or closes with the throttle.

(somebody please correct me if I am wrong)

The intake noise, which is mostly what you hear through the sound tube, is much louder at open throttle, so that is probably what you are getting at.

At idle I think you are going to mostly hear the exhaust, regardless of what you do to the sound tube.

Last edited by Bert; 6/28/10 at 10:02 AM. Reason: more
Old 6/28/10, 10:14 AM
V6 Member

I think it will be good to have the sound tube for anyone with a manual. I could not believe how quiet the car is compared to my C4 and you need to hear the motor for shifting. The tach doesn't work in the Vette and the Harley doesn't have a tach so shifting by feel is important to me. Its not good to be keeping an eye on the tach anyway, as there are more important things to be watching.
Old 6/28/10, 01:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnamover
I think it will be good to have the sound tube for anyone with a manual. I could not believe how quiet the car is compared to my C4 and you need to hear the motor for shifting. The tach doesn't work in the Vette and the Harley doesn't have a tach so shifting by feel is important to me. Its not good to be keeping an eye on the tach anyway, as there are more important things to be watching.
I had to do this during the test drives I took. Until I got a little more used to the car, i couldn't hear the engine so I found myself eying the tach quite often.
Old 7/8/10, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've put about 350 miles on my 5.0 now and I want to pull the foam from the engine side to see how it sounds without it. It's not clear to me how to open up the coupling for the sound tube. Can anybody tell me how you did it?
Old 7/8/10, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's just a plastic tube, that leads from the engine into the cabin with two pieces of foam. Taking the foam out just acts as a sound funnel, so you get a little more sound but there's nothing mechancial about it.
Old 7/15/10, 11:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
Was this with both pieces of foam taken out?
I decided to try this "mod" out tonight.

I took out both pieces of foam (engine bay "white piece" - and the one at the end of the tube before it goes into the car "grey piece").

The sound was quite a bit different - not at idle - only when you jump on the throttle. But on the highway it was too loud and "tinny" sounding for me. Sounded kind of fake for some reason.

So I put back the grey piece of foam (end of tube before it enters the cabin) and the sound is more deeper and not as loud. I preferred this so I am leaving the white piece of foam out. I love the sound in the cabin now when you stomp on it. But it is still quiet enough in the cabin during cruising/regular driving to hear the phone and the radio.

Last edited by financialpanther; 7/15/10 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 7/15/10, 11:44 PM
Cobra R Member

i think this whole sound tube thing is silly...but if ford must add this feature...would be nice if they came up with a simple electronic system that could allow a number of sound level choices with a switch...
Old 7/15/10, 11:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
I've put about 350 miles on my 5.0 now and I want to pull the foam from the engine side to see how it sounds without it. It's not clear to me how to open up the coupling for the sound tube. Can anybody tell me how you did it?
The hose just clamps on, loosen the clamp and pull the hose off of the diaphram on the engine side and there is a foam baffle in the hose. Then on the firewall from inside the car you can pull the other foam baffle out through the hole.

Then you can experiment with the baffles, both out, or just one out. And some people have even experimented with cutting the foam baffles in half.
Old 7/16/10, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine doesn't have a clamp, it is just friction fitted. Takes some pulling, but it will eventually come out.
Old 9/19/10, 06:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking at doing this and mine is also clamped. The problem is that the fastener they use isn't one that I've seen, almost like it's a throw away type.
Old 9/20/10, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm with the "sound tube is silly" crowd, I think. Personally I think I'll be going with one of the CAI's that delete the sound tube.

Quick Reply: Sound tube mod...