2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Sound tube mod...

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/10, 05:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound tube mod...

This comes from those goofy bozos on the tweedle dee tweedle dum video posting so take it with a grain of salt but if soemone out there with a 2010 GT would try it out on there car and report back to us or make a video and post it I think we would all be interested in the results. Looks like a very simple thing to do that shouldn't take more than a minute and is easily reversed.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/user/burnoutr.../7/v0gcfOLWku8
Old 4/1/10, 05:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not interested in more cabin noise, personally. I think the entire sound tube should be removed.
Old 4/1/10, 06:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking

Can you put a plug in the tube and then just put on an awesome exhaust instead?
Old 4/1/10, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

i am going to remove the sound tube..... no thanks. quiet is good.
Old 4/1/10, 06:43 PM
GTR Member

Wow, not at all what I expected from this group.

The tube transfers induction sounds, I liked the sound on the 2010 that I drove but wished it was louder.

I used to own a '79 6.6 WS6 T/A and had the hood scoop opened up and just loved the sound of the Q-jet moan at WOT.

If I can ever get a new GT in my garage this will be one of the first things I try out on it, especially since it is so easy to do and doesn't cost anything but a minute of time.
Old 4/1/10, 07:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the Bullitt the FRPP open CAI plays a key role on the overall sound in the cockpit. While the exhaust (Bullitt mufflers, packed tips, H-pipe) has a nice low rumble that reminds you of the '68 (or like glass packs), above 3500-4000 rpm's the induction starts blending in. The higher the rpm's the more the GT40 sound kicks in like the movie soundtrack. When you gas it at 5k+ and let off back and forth, it really sounds like the Mustang chasing the Charger.

Since the GT has a closed airbox (plus I think they added more sound deadening insulation on the 10/11 ), I would think the induction sound would be a little too quiet.

While the 10/11 GT isn't tweaked like the Bullitt for the tones of the movie soundtrack, I would want the sound tube. Cause it sounds great!

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/1/10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 4/1/10, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It probably works. That is one of the first mods that you do on a BMW Z4. The Z4 has 3 different size pieces of foam inside the sound tube and you can tune it to your liking. Mine sounds best with the largest foam piece removed!!
Old 4/1/10, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Well, the '10 I drove was sooooooo quiet inside I could hardly hear the exhaust or the induction inside with the windows closed. It was frosty cold that day so running down the freeway with the windows down wasn't going to happen. Getting out of the '10 and back in my '04 with the Eaton and the MAC exhaust, the difference was night and day.
Old 4/1/10, 09:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Could always just try it and see how it sounds.
If you like it, keep it...if you don't... put it back.
No harm, no foul.

I'd do it
Old 4/1/10, 09:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Could always just try it and see how it sounds.
If you like it, keep it...if you don't... put it back.
No harm, no foul.

I'd do it
That's what I was hoping someone with a '10 GT would do and report back how it sounded or maybe even post a clip so we could all hear it.

It's a free and easy mod and just as easy to change it back.

Probably just have to wait until I can get my own to try it.
Old 4/1/10, 11:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll def look into it, I don't mind the sound now... Find it to be right on point actually. What I don't want is something off putting- to where it's over bearing and unnecessary. Just cuz there's more sound coming out doesn't necessary make it better... So we'll see.
Old 4/2/10, 12:00 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
I'll def look into it, I don't mind the sound now... Find it to be right on point actually. What I don't want is something off putting- to where it's over bearing and unnecessary. Just cuz there's more sound coming out doesn't necessary make it better... So we'll see.
Excellent!

Can you get a sound/video clip?

Make sure and try it with the baffles removed from both ends of the tube.
Old 4/2/10, 12:03 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I will be pulling that plug the day I get the car.
I had read that it was easy, but if those two morons can do it it really is simple LOL
Old 4/2/10, 12:18 AM
Cobra R Member

im getting old...but find the whole sound tube thing silly

you wanna hear the V8 open the window or get a vert...
Old 4/2/10, 01:03 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
doesnt anyone own a radio anymore?
Old 4/2/10, 02:04 AM
V6 Member

I liked the extra induction noise on all my cars when I added open element intakes. I'll try this when I get mine and see how it sounds.

It would be cool if someone could try it and post some clips.
Old 4/2/10, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

the sound tube isn't just the noise its tuned to transmit some of the subsonic vibrations as well so you can feel the engine as much as hear it, (kind of like a sub-woofer) personally i love it. it is never intrusive. i agree with the above comment that with the windows up the car is pretty quiet almost too quiet but if it is a DD like mine i suspect that will be appreciated. 25 degree winter mornings commuting to work the last thing i want is exhaust and engine noise blaring to start my day. in the summer when my mood is improved the windows go down and the tube + exhaust gives an awesome harmony.
Old 4/2/10, 08:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Flagstang
doesnt anyone own a radio anymore?
I think mine came with one.
I wouldn't know.
I always roll down the windows and listen to the music under the hood.
Old 4/2/10, 08:28 AM

I listen to the radio only for traffic reports. "Traffic on the twos" here in Philly. Seriously, I will drive 30mi. listening only to the engine.
Old 4/2/10, 08:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, I can recommend taking out the foam piece. It takes all of 5 seconds to do. You just disconnect where the tube runs into the engine bay body panel- just lift it back as it's only about 1-2 inches inside the panel... and pull the 1.5 inch piece of foam out. YOu may want to unscrew the one bolt tho if it's stuck in place tho.

For the "gray button" there's a hole in that area to begin with, and there's nothing covering it! So maybe that gray button is a filler part on the 2011... as it's already off in mine...

So... does it sound better- not really. In terms of sound output it's the same engine noise coming through, but it's slightly more "crisp" as opposed to "muffled". And in terms of loudness, (my engine bay is stock minus the K&N drop in filter) it definitely went up a smidge. Nothing outta control tho. Plus if you feel it to be too loud you can cut the foam piece any which way and stick it back in. Normal driving you wont tell a thing has changed, but as you go higher in the RPM's it'll definitely show.

And also, apparently I read, "there is a second plug/baffle in the tube that goes from the firewall to the diaphragm. It's on the diaphragm end of the tube and pulls out just like the one on the firewall end."

Found these pics: you do not need to remove that whole piece tho... he did it cuz of aftermarket CAI.

and then this was probably what the gray plug was covering... Which is uncovered in the 2010.

Quick Reply: Sound tube mod...