2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

SIRIUS Radio past the free 6 months ...

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/10, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Doug...I was not questioning your information, and in fact that is exactly what I was told by Sirius when I tried to transfer my Lifetime subscription from our Jeep. It seemed some posters were getting different information from these guys, and yours was the only one that actually quoted info from the Sirius site, not the verbal, non-binding comments of their telemarketers, and that is why I quoted it. Sorry if my comments offended you, that was not my intention.

I have since spoken with Sirius, and for $98.00 they are going to extend the contract on the Mustang for two years after the 6 month trial period. At least that is what I was told...we shall see in three months.

Also, just a word of warning. ALWAYS ask them to bill you so you can pay by check. Otherwise they will automatically update you (bill your card) for the full rate when your subscription expires, Or Bill your card for the 5-6 weeks it takes them to shut you down if you don't renew. These guys have a TERRIBLE customer relations record. Buyer beware.
Old 10/12/10, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
...or use one of those online temporary credit card numbers (ShopSafe or equivalent) that expires long before your renewal comes up.
Old 10/12/10, 03:47 PM

Personally, I like the sound of the car. I rarely listen to music when I'm driving.
Old 10/13/10, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was just talking to Sirius customer service because we were cut off when I was activating the free trial the other day. I wanted to make sure they put the new ESN on the same account as my other Sirius units and that I would be able to transfer the lifetime subscription to it once the free trial expired.

They told me that the car had to have a separate account for now because the free trial accounts can't be grouped with paid accounts. When the 15 month free trial expires, I can add it to my existing accounts. I asked her to confirm and I later confirmed online - for some reason I ended up with a 15 month free trial rather than 6 months.

I think it might be that the guy I was talking to earlier didn't know if the TravelLink and traffic could be combined with the existing lifetime subscription because this is the first model year that both use the same ESN in the nav system. He thought something would be worked out by the time my free trial expired but maybe he gave me extra months just to be sure?
Old 10/13/10, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought my wife's lifetime account about 6 months ago and just got rid of that car.. It took some talking and a little escalation, but I was able to get it moved to my Shelby for $75. They told me lifetime's can be moved 3 times and get this. You "can't" move it from vehicle to vehicle. you CAN move it from vehicle to portable unit, or portable unit to vehicle. They did it "this one time for me" because "I wasn't properly informed" when I signed up, They've since "noted" my account and I won't be able to do it again... I'm okay with that as I will have the Shelby for well beyond the 6 years to make lifetime worth it. And NO, travel link is not part of lifetime. you'd still have to pay the 4.99 or 5.99 whatever it is, month to month.

The other fun part was what I had to go through to get the 6month free cancelled from the shelby first so that I could move the lifetime onto the car... I question whether I will add lifetime to my wife's new Edge in 6 months. I'm sure... JUST LIKE CABLE TV.... that Sirius will have commercials in the future. (Just a matter of when)
It mostly depends on how she likes the new Edge and if we will be keeping it long term for the lifetime...
Old 10/13/10, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
...And NO, travel link is not part of lifetime. you'd still have to pay the 4.99 or 5.99 whatever it is, month to month.
I kinda figured that...my problem is that they aren't even sure if I will be able to continue the TravelLink and traffic service at all, even if I pay extra for it, when I transfer the lifetime subscription to the Mustang. The problem seems to be that the audio section and the TravelLink/traffic section of the receiver both have the same ESN in the new systems. Older systems had separate ESNs so you could transfer the lifetime audio subscription and still have a completely separate ESN/account to pay for the TravelLink/traffic.

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
I'm sure... JUST LIKE CABLE TV.... that Sirius will have commercials in the future. (Just a matter of when)
I seriously doubt that (pun intended). The only selling points that satellite radio has over commercial radio are availability across the country and lack of commercials (both of which are also available using MP3 players). People are already questioning the value of paying for radio (especially with the spread of HD radio) and putting commercials on the music channels would eliminate the number one selling point of satellite radio for many subscribers.
Old 10/13/10, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

I seriously doubt that (pun intended). The only selling points that satellite radio has over commercial radio are availability across the country and lack of commercials (both of which are also available using MP3 players). People are already questioning the value of paying for radio (especially with the spread of HD radio) and putting commercials on the music channels would eliminate the number one selling point of satellite radio for many subscribers.
I do agree with you. I just remember when cable TV had no commercials as a selling point in the beginning. There will come a point for Sirius/XM that subscription fees will not cover the expenses of running the business. They will either add "limited" commericals (which will become less and less limited), raise fees to insane amounts or shutdown.I'm not saying it will be anytime soon, but I would put a safe bet within 10 years you'll start to see "something" to generate revenue
Old 10/13/10, 03:41 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they dont cover the cost of running it now. they are losing like 800 million per year
Old 10/13/10, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
they dont cover the cost of running it now. they are losing like 800 million per year

Better check your information... Sirius has posted profits in both the first two quarters of this year. Granted, profits of 41.6 million and 15.3 million are not huge for a company that size but it's certainly better than the losses they were suffering last year.
Old 10/13/10, 04:16 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I've noticed the D.J.'s are starting to talk a little too much.
Old 10/13/10, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Young
I've noticed the D.J.'s are starting to talk a little too much.

but I can live with that part no problem.