Sponsored By:

SIRIUS Radio past the free 6 months ...

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/10, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SIRIUS Radio past the free 6 months ...

My "Free Sirius" ends Nov 22.

Not wanting to be startled when that date arrived, I looked into the costs so I had some time to think about whether it is worth it or not to continue.

Sirius Everything Plus the Best of XM (140+ channels, as supplied free for 6 months):
$16.99 / month
or
pick one of the plans between 18~48 months and it is:
$14.16 /month
or
pick the Lifetime Plan:
$599.99 ... got to keep car a minimum of 43 more months to make this worthwhile
(divide by 66 = $9.09 / month if I keep this car 6 years as I did the last two)

**OR**

Sirius Everything (130+ channels):
$12.95 / month
or
pick one of the plans between 18~48 months and it is:
$10.79 /month
or
pick the Lifetime Plan:
$499.99 ... got to keep car a minimum of 47 more months to make this worthwhile
(divide by 66 = $7.58 / month if I keep this car 6 years as I did the last two)

Personally, I only listen to like 6 stations between 18 & 26 so I looked at even cheaper packages ...

Mostly Music (65+ channels):
$9.99 / month ... PERIOD ... no Lifetime Plan and it gets no cheaper if you pick plans up to 48 months.

This really has me P-O'd that they don't offer a Lifetime Plan for "Mostly Music", but what gets me even more is that they don't offer progressively better deals as the plans get LONGER ... do they think people don't know how to use a calculator ??

You would have to be a TOTAL IDIOT to sign up for a 4 year plan, because your paying the same amount per month for an 18 month plan !!

The only DEAL is the Sirius Everything Lifetime plan (same as Mostly Music $9.99 after 50 months), but you are taking a gamble if for some reason you don't keep the car as long as you orginally intended. That and I don't like how they word it "life of the Receiver equipment" and "in the sole discretion of SIRIUS (whether) it is defective" ... see below.

9. Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may cancel a Lifetime Subscription but if you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a cancellation fee set forth in these Terms.

Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS, it is defective. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one person to another based upon a stolen or accidentally damaged Receiver you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS, the Receiver is defective.

The way I'm reading it is if this radio dies after the Ford warranty expires you could be screwed out of a "Lifetime Plan".

Doug

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 10/1/10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10/1/10, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let it expire. They'll come after you with increasingly advantageous "Deals" to get you back in the game. On the XM side, $77/yr is the default deal. I just got a $5/month deal offered on my portable XM unit, though only for 4 months..
Old 10/1/10, 03:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I pay $70 / yr.
Old 10/1/10, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

I persoanlly have never, and will never pay to listen to radio. I've used sirus a couple times since having my car. Unless ur an avid lover of howerd stern or another radio channel that is just on sirus, theres really no need to pay for radio. I use my iphone and if for whatever reason I get bored of my music I put on pandora, or last FM. IMO Paying for radio is not a necessity for me. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10/1/10, 03:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love Howard! so sirius is a must for me. After my 6 months they gave me 6 months for 23 bucks plus the internet radio. Call them up and say no to the first two things they offer. I do not like FM/AM because the sound is not that great and the 25 mins of ads per hour pisses me off.
Old 10/1/10, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
I persoanlly have never, and will never pay to listen to radio. I've used sirus a couple times since having my car. Unless ur an avid lover of howerd stern or another radio channel that is just on sirus, theres really no need to pay for radio. I use my iphone and if for whatever reason I get bored of my music I put on pandora, or last FM. IMO Paying for radio is not a necessity for me. Just my 2 cents.
i totally agree, i have all the music I want on my iphone so i just plug it in and i am happy. plus, id rather put that money they charge towards an exhaust sytem
Old 10/1/10, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
i totally agree, i have all the music I want on my iphone so i just plug it in and i am happy. plus, id rather put that money they charge towards an exhaust sytem
I just downloaded the "tune In" app for my Droid...Makes it basically an internet radio with 11,0000+ stations out there. Stream it Via Bluetooth. Cost = Zero$
Old 10/1/10, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boy ... I thought I was going to get a bunch of "don't be so cheap" comments.

I've NEVER paid for cable TV (antenna works just fine) so I'm not all that keen on the idea of paying for Radio in my car.

I'm into Alternative-Indi Rock so I do like Sirius much better than the FM stations when I'm home in N.E. Wisconsin.

When I'm in Chicago durring the week, I'd rather listen to WXRT and when I'm on my back way home I pick up the UW-Millwaukee station that plays a wide variety of Alternative-Indi Rock as soon as WXRT starts to fade and listen to this thru Sheboygan until it starts to fade. At which point I used to put in a CD, but now listen to Sirius.

So the max I listen to Sirius is maybe 3~6 hours a week.

I DO like the Sirius music variety and NO-Commercials, plus it DOES sound much better than FM.

STEVE ... I think I'm going to take your suggestion and let it expire and wait for them to woo me back with some kind of deal. "Lifetime" for around $300 or something less than $5 / month and I'd bite.

Doug
Old 10/1/10, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Sirius expired so I got exhaust to listen to instead.
Old 10/1/10, 03:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I got axle backs and sirius. its less then 80 bucks a year list price. most people spend more then that on mcdonalds two for a dollar apple pies.
Old 10/1/10, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

I bought a Lifetime plan several years ago, I thought it was a pretty good value. You don't have to keep the same car, you can transfer your subscription up to 6x, so that should last most folks about 25-30 years.
Old 10/1/10, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Something I found out you can put the paid account on hold for 3 months at a time and call back and repeat so if you park your car for the winter a 1 year plan could last 2 maybe! But the really don't like to advertise this!
Old 10/1/10, 04:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Modshack
Let it expire. They'll come after you with increasingly advantageous "Deals" to get you back in the game. On the XM side, $77/yr is the default deal. I just got a $5/month deal offered on my portable XM unit, though only for 4 months..
I am on 14.99 per month and 2 other cars 9.99 each.
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
I hate the regular radio and all those ads. I really don't use all the channels but really enjoy a select few.
Old 10/1/10, 04:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
I bought a Lifetime plan several years ago, I thought it was a pretty good value. You don't have to keep the same car, you can transfer your subscription up to 6x, so that should last most folks about 25-30 years.
Exactly, the lifetime plan doesn't make any difference how long you keep the car, it's not the lifetime of the car that you keep, it's your lifetime that the plan refers to.

Heck, by the time you transfer it to 6 other cars, cars will probably be outlawed and it won't matter...
Old 10/1/10, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Out here in "Gods" country, Sirius is really all there is. If you go off the Interstate, you lose the cell phone capability. And there are many dead zones, even on I-90, simply because there are no towers. I even have a cell phone extender hooked up to my router, in the house, otherwise I would be at 1 bar. So, Sirius and my 4GB memory stick are sanity savers. You can get the news and latest weather, as well as music, anywhere on the prairie.
Old 10/1/10, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Since I have had Sirius on my vehicles since 2004, I even shaved the Antennae on my F150 since basic radio around here bites.
I listen to the same stations going to New England, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, the local Mountains were radio and cell phone doesn't make the trip. Where ever I go, No Problem.
BTW, I just added mine on to my other subscription, they are still sending me free offers on the last 2 vehicles I had it in to come back.
Old 10/1/10, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$77 for 12 months offer for the Mustang (6 months free) came in the mail today. The Taurus has been expired since June and I just got a 5 months for $18 deal for that the other day. We're going on a road trip in November, so I may reactivate the Taurus. That's a pretty good price.
Old 10/1/10, 07:43 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
I am on 14.99 per month and 2 other cars 9.99 each.

I hate the regular radio and all those ads. I really don't use all the channels but really enjoy a select few.
I pay $6 every car past the first one
Old 10/1/10, 08:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I pay $6 every car past the first one

Thanks, I will call them.
Old 10/1/10, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for information. If you purchased a Life time plan several years ago, the rules have changed. I had to speak to several supervisors before they allowed me to transfer the subscrition to a new vehicle.

Quick Reply: SIRIUS Radio past the free 6 months ...