2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Showing off UNINSTALLED mods and my new racing stripes

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/12, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 13TrackPack
I had my reasons for getting rid of the Boss. I don't wish to start a flame war so I'll just say it wasn't what I wanted. I'd rather mod a '13 GT to my liking than have a '12 Boss that I respect too much to mod.
This is exactly why I want a Boss. I have done the whole mod thing, and while it is fun, I can't say I became addicted to it like some guys. The boss is exactly what I would build if I was modding a GT, and once you add in the looks, heritage, and limited nature you have the complete package.

That being said, it looks like you have started an awesome project, and I can see where you are coming from when you say you didnt want to mod your boss. The GT is cheaper and is basically a blank canvas. I look forward to watching this one come together!

Last edited by szlachcic22; 4/18/12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 4/18/12, 09:03 PM
GT Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the stripes cost? Just the wide ones on top of the car.
Old 4/18/12, 09:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the stripes cost? Just the wide ones on top of the car.
Here are the exact ones I purchased:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...ipes-0512.html

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
If it will out-perform a Boss, it won't be more comfortable (assuming you're talking about suspension/ride). If it's more comfortable, it's not going to be fast enough around the corners because it will have too much body roll. I understand wanting to do things yourself, but this seems like an expensive way to do what's already been done. :-/
Just because no one in here is being rude or judgemental I'll clarify my reasons one more time, since I have an hour to spare, but I hope this is the last time I need to justify my project:

1. The Boss' suspension was great, but simply too rough to enjoy as my weekened ride, which is what I want my Mustang to be. Thus, I am giving the car a suspension that will help it greatly, should I track it this Spring and Summer; but no, it won't match Boss standards... and that's intentional. I am decreasing the disparity between the Boss and GT so that on the track I can run pretty close with the Boss in the corners without sacrificing what is my definition of a comfortable ride feel on the road (it'll take a lot of tweaking to find that balance, but that's what's fun for me). However, be aware that my Mustang has the same brembo brake package and tires as the Boss, so it's not just suspension that helps the boss turn... the other components needed for handling are already on my GT.

2. The suspension work also doesn't need to match the Boss 100% because it's in the straight-aways that I'm looking to kill it. The whole reason I'm making it naturally aspirated and keeping it capped at 500RWHP is because I'm not looking to be the fastest car on the track, but I would like to outperform the Boss by a nice margin 0-60 and in the 1/4mile without making my brakes and suspension completely useless (ie. making it so stupidly fast that I couldn't control the thing when I take to the road tracks, like Summit Point). This is where the FUN factor comes in and I simply like building the car from the ground up, something I wouldn't do with the Boss because...

3. The Boss, to me, should have minor tweaks at the most and that's it. I was too hesitant to tear it down and rebuild it, but that's what I've done with the 9 Mustang's that I've owned. I just simply didn't WANT to mod it, and yet that's what I do with Stangs, so it wasn't for me. It's better in the hands of a guy that will enjoy it at the track and otherwise keep it garage'd until he can pass it on or sell it in 30 years. It's a weird thing to say that the Boss was too "perfect," but it was (mechanically). That was the problem... it left me with little to do; and what I wanted to do, I just didn't wish to do to the Boss because I'd change its stock form.

4. I HATED that the Boss lacked all the creature comforts. I bought the thing fully aware of what it was missing, but once the "new purchase" high of the car wore off I missed the leather seats, SYNC, the electronics package with sirius satellite, navigation, dual climate control, and the touchscreen, my color gauges, and ESPECIALLY the Shaker 500 sound system. All of which my '13 GT has. These are all things that would be much more difficult to add to a Boss than it is to add suspension and engine upgrades to a fully-loaded GT (and almost just as expensive). Besides, I'd deserve an slap from Ford if I went out of my way to put all of that stuff into a Boss; it wasn't built for that stuff.

5. I really fell in love with the '13 redesign and track apps that came with it. From the new tailights, to the matching color rocker panels, to the cobra-style front, to the standard HIDs, and heat extractors in the hood... it was what I really wanted. Sure, I could have gone with a '13 Boss but then Numbers 1-4 would still apply (minus the Sync addition to the '13 Boss').

Basically, I have the money to spend to make my dream Mustang, and the Boss wasn't it (for as good as it is). So now I can make my dream Mustang and do it by my own hands... and that's where the fun lies.

As far as collectibility goes, there's no way I'd hold the thing long enough for it to be a major "collector's item," so that aspect of the car never mattered to me. It'd be 30, more likely 40, years before you'll see these cars racking in big bucks on Barrett-Jackson, and I don't plan to keep a Boss that long in good enough shape for the "collecting" part to matter to me. So, I sold it now for a little profit and counted myself lucky that I didn't lose cash on the deal.
Old 4/19/12, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
To be clear, you don't need to justify your project to anyone, including me. I simply didn't understand the desire to build your own Boss, or Boss-beater, when you could simply buy a Boss (or in your case, hang onto the one you had) and be done with it. But thanks for the explanation.
Old 4/19/12, 11:05 AM
V6 Member

I understand that, and that's why I noted that I realized no one was being rude or anything. I appreciate that some people are just asking "Why?" So, I wanted to give a detailed rundown explaining it.

It was nice for myself too, to simply plot out where my head is at with this project.

Once again, I'm open to questions, and want to thank everyone for just being curious about the project, rather than coming in here trolling with insults and condescension.
Old 4/19/12, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

with that being said It will be a 8500 rpm ripping monster...
Old 4/19/12, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

****! Now I'll have to change my Tach gauge!
Old 4/19/12, 10:30 PM
V6 Member