Should Mercury bring back the Cougar?

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/07, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Here in Britain, the only Cougar's ever sold officially were badged as a Ford

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...edFord_m_m.jpg

Nice enough, but more of a FWD hot hatch than a RWD muscle car.

Whilst I'm sure there are a few classic Cougars around, the Mustang is a thousand times more popular over here.

What I'd really like to see is another attempt at the Thunderbird. In my mind, I'd like this to be more of a "premium" product than the Mustang, sold in fewer numbers and featuring better perceived build quality using nicer materials etc. Looks wise, think something along the lines of these two:

A Mercury Forty Nine! Although I was asking for that years ago before the 05 mustang was done
Old 11/6/07, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good idea!
Old 11/6/07, 10:52 PM
FR500 Member

been saying that from the beginning too... the Fortynine screams "Mercury" more than "Ford" - when Ford brought it down in '03 for a local show, I thought it would be a success judging by the crowd gathered around it, touching it, and even trying to look underneath. the crowd included older guys who looked like they came in on Harleys or were into hot-rodding in the 60's all the way to younger people who liked slammed lowriders.
Old 11/6/07, 11:21 PM
Cobra R Member

thats the reason I hate GM and crysler, they got rid of all the cool cars or ruined them. The 60's camaros were cool, the early vettes were cool, the 60's gto's...etc...etc....were cool and look what they did to them and the new camaro is ugly. I just don't want ford to f' things up. They should just bring the falcon back to the U.S. Now thats a nice lookin car
Old 11/7/07, 12:39 PM
Cobra R Member

"Ruined" the Corvette? are you crazy?!? Bash GM all you want about other cars but not the Vette. The current gen Vette is by far superior to every other vette. I'm a die hard Ford guy but even i respect the vette. The top dog GT500 is outmatched by the base Corvette let's not even talk about the Ferrari beating Z06
Old 11/7/07, 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your thinking Ford needs a Cougar, chick out timm55 renderings on BON
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...showtopic=1648
GTO, M3 competition.
Old 11/7/07, 07:25 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Make mine one of these...

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/pp_70_elinimator_1.htm
Old 11/7/07, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Heres a couple of timms
Attached Thumbnails Should Mercury bring back the Cougar?-05cougar.jpg   Should Mercury bring back the Cougar?-07cougaryellow.jpg   Should Mercury bring back the Cougar?-09cougarblue.jpg  
Old 11/7/07, 10:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
"Ruined" the Corvette? are you crazy?!? Bash GM all you want about other cars but not the Vette. The current gen Vette is by far superior to every other vette. I'm a die hard Ford guy but even i respect the vette. The top dog GT500 is outmatched by the base Corvette let's not even talk about the Ferrari beating Z06
I just dont like it, it is the best thing gm makes but the orinal few yrs is way different than what is now
Old 11/7/07, 10:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cougar on the S197 platform would race off the lots IMO.
Old 11/8/07, 01:26 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Phil.. no offense towards you personally, however Lou wasn't bashing the Corvette, in the sense of it being an inferior car ! He just doesn't like it from a styling standpoint when compared to the 1st generation Vette's, Camaro's, and GTO's from the 1960's. And I happen to agree with him.

Although there's no denying the current Z06, is a far superior car technology wise.. But from a styling standpoint, it just doesn't capture the look of the 63-67 Stingray whatsoever. But then again, I really didn't care much for them, after the 1978 model anyhow. But that's just my opinion.

However there's also no denying, that Ford really hit the mark with the current S-197 Mustang, in which all it takes.. is just one look. And it re-captures the look of those 1st generation, 65-68 fastbacks instantly.

As for superiority is concerned ! well the 2004 GTO, was also superior in everyway over it's predecessors. But from a styling point of view..the car had no appeal whatsoever, and as a direct result.. lived a very short lifespan.

And speaking of short lifespans..The upcoming 2010 Camaro, will also meet a similar fate, if the current concept design, remains exactly the same..

That being said, as a die hard Ford guy.. I don't care if the GT500 is outmatched by the Z06 Corvette or not..I'd still take the GT500 anyday hands down..Why ? because I'm also a loyal die hard Ford Guy.

And let's also not forget, the Z06 also has a distinct weight advantage over the GT500 as well..
Old 11/8/07, 08:40 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And speaking of short lifespans..The upcoming 2010 Camaro, will also meet a similar fate, if the current concept design, remains exactly the same..
I disagree here, i think the concept really made a modern 1969 camaro, which i belevie is the most popular or all the camaro body styles.

It hit its target much much closer then the gto.
Old 11/8/07, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree with knight on this one......I personally think the camaro concept was incredible. Much nicer than the challanger in my opinion. But its not our opinions that are going to determine the cars lifespan.....its the people who are going to buy, and from what ive seen their are far more camaro fans that like that design then dont. Also as far as the camaro selling to non enthusiasts......as long as its priced right, tons of people are going to buy it even if they just get the V6. Its the same reason regular people bought the new mustang.....because its sporty and for a good price.

And for a new cougar.....i would be all over that if they did. My dad's first car was a 71 cougar. Absolutly love that car. The way i see it working is they did it as a complete luxury version with a lot more features including IRS for a more sportier ride as perhaps the TTV6 engine thats been thrown around lately. Of course I would probably love it regardless of what it had as long as it could truly seperate itself from the mustang as a true Luxury Muscle/Sports Car
Old 11/8/07, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

I say as far as the Corvette styling is concerned we should agree to disagree. Nobodys opionion is wrong or right and i want to apologize if i seemed rude. Now as far as the cougar is concerned i agree that it should be a higher feature car based on the mustang....i doesnt even need to be retro but it would help and who cares if it competes with the mustang, because it would also compete with the new camaro and challenger
Old 11/8/07, 11:42 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,905 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ghlight=COUGAR

I THINK SO! HERE IS A TOPIC I STARTED LAST YEAR. GOT SOME GOOD PICS!

kc
Old 11/8/07, 04:09 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ShowGT
The Cougar on the S197 platform would race off the lots IMO.
Ford is already having trouble selling S197 Mustangs. How in the world will Ford sell a lot of more expensive Cougars?
Old 11/8/07, 05:25 PM
Cobra R Member

The only reason s197 Mustang sales are slowing is because it is entering its forth model year. People want something new. You can't expect sales to be up every year. Another issue is that many are holding out for the Camaro and Challenger
Old 11/8/07, 05:59 PM

Well perhaps it's just me then. But IMHO ! other than the Camaro concept's greenhouse (roof) I don't see any resemblance towards the 1st generation 67-69 Camaro at all.

First of all, that pointed nose is ugly as sin. While the a$$ end looks more like, it was borrowed from the Z06 Corvette.

Then on top of that..The hips look as though, they were taken off a flareside pickup truck.

As far as I'm concerned. The car's overall appearance, is just way too porky/bulky, and looks more like a bathtub, than a muscle car..
Old 11/8/07, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes!
Old 11/8/07, 07:45 PM

That isn't the only reason ! It's not just Mustang sales, but all car sales are down, due partially to sky rocketing gas prices.

Meanwhile car sales also slow down, as demand usually tapers off during the peak fall/winter months as well..especially when it concerns sportscars, and other non SUV vehicles.

As for Mustang sales slowing down, due to entering it's fourth model year..First of all, the current S-197 is entering it's third model year, not fourth..For example, my 05 GT.. is 3 years old, not 4..

In addition, the popularity of the S-197 remains just as strong now, as it did 3 years ago..Therefore, you can pretty much rule out the possibility of the Mustang's car appeal diminishing..

In fact, sales for the previous SN-95 generation.. also remained strong, right to the very end of it's production run in 04..

Quick Reply: Should Mercury bring back the Cougar?