The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Should Mercury bring back the Cougar? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/should-mercury-bring-back-cougar-459893/)

97GT03SVT 11/5/07 01:53 PM

Should Mercury bring back the Cougar?

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in an s197 Cougar. I think it is a no-brainer for Ford. With the Camaro, Challenger and GTO all coming back Ford should steal some sales by bringin back the cat! Make it like the original, a luxury mustang. I'm hoping that perhaps Mercury can build a case for bringing it back with members offering support!

WaltM 11/5/07 02:20 PM

I like the idea...

rhumb 11/5/07 02:34 PM

What with Pontiac bringing back, again, the GTO, I think a Cougar would make a suitable competitive counterpart and would inject some desperately needed life into Mercury's veins. Do it on a slightly stretched Stang chassis and there is added economies of scale (lower prices, more development money) to be relized by both models rather than the bespoke S197 chassis which is unique only to the Stang.

jsaylor 11/5/07 02:37 PM

I like the idea, but believe it likely Ford would choose to badge such a coupe a Lincoln instead of a Mercury in this day and age.

97GT03SVT 11/5/07 02:48 PM

I just feel that the Mercury line-up is DULL! The only good thing going for then is the hot girl in the commercials and maybe the two tone interiors. They need the cougar, picture a retro cougar with the new mercury waterfall grille. A longer wheelbase s197 tuned and isulilated like a luxo coupe. Sounds like a winner to me. I think Ford, Lincohn and Mercury should each have their own coupe as the face for each brand.

RCSignals 11/5/07 02:53 PM

They could. I was told a few years ago by a reliable source that Mercury had been working on a car about 2003 that very closley resembled the original Cougar. Obviously the plan was shelved. I would guess it may have been a project to compliment the 2005 Mustang.

With Elaena Ford away from Mercury now, maybe something will happen

bt4 11/5/07 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by RCSignals (Post 1039088)
They could. I was told a few years ago by a reliable source that Mercury had been working on a car about 2003 that very closley resembled the original Cougar. Obviously the plan was shelved. I would guess it may have been a project to compliment the 2005 Mustang.

Are you referring to the Mercury Messenger concept?

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...er-Concept.htm

97GT03SVT 11/5/07 03:17 PM

Wow i never saw that concept. I like the profile just put a more distinct "Cougar" look to the front and rear ends and offer IRS and perhaps the twin turbo v-6 Ford is thinking of putting in the Lincohn coupe. Make it a Luxo car that can handle while the Mustang remains the straight line monster. I feel that Ford invested so much time and money into the s-197 chassis they should use it for more vehicals like a Cougar. No offence to the 05' Mustangs but i want to see something new and not as mainstream as the Mustang.

05RedGT 11/5/07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 1039080)
I just feel that the Mercury line-up is DULL! The only good thing going for then is the hot girl in the commercials

+1 :nice:

WaltM 11/5/07 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 1039105)
Wow i never saw that concept. I like the profile just put a more distinct "Cougar" look to the front and rear ends and offer IRS and perhaps the twin turbo v-6 Ford is thinking of putting in the Lincohn coupe. Make it a Luxo car that can handle while the Mustang remains the straight line monster. I feel that Ford invested so much time and money into the s-197 chassis they should use it for more vehicals like a Cougar. No offence to the 05' Mustangs but i want to see something new and not as mainstream as the Mustang.

While I love the idea, I can imagine some guy in Dearborn saying something like "it will take away from Mustang sales" or "It will compete with our new LSC".

With Ford in it's current fiscal dillema, it aint gonna happen...:shakehead:

WaltM 11/5/07 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 1039095)

No like. It looks like a "Crossfire" :bad:

muskrat2000 11/5/07 05:22 PM

looks like it might have hefty price tag. but it would be sweet :nice:

RCSignals 11/5/07 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 1039095)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...er-Concept.htm

No, but it could have been a Cougar as well I suppose

97GT03SVT 11/5/07 07:06 PM

I understand that it might be expensive or it might take away from Mustang sales but Ford has the resources to make this happen. They have a solid platform to use and a loyal fan base. The GT500, 300C and likley Camaro, and Challenger prove that if i car is styled right it will be a hit. I know this might offend some of the GT500 owners out there but Ford brought a product that is a fairly decent bargain at the mid $40,000 mark and people have and will continue to pay upwards of $20,000 above sticker for a car that is inferior to a 07' Corvette in performance for less money! The point i'm trying to make is if Ford has the guts and take a chance the Cougar could be the next 05' Mustang or 300C....Look at Chysler's spin offs of the 300..........the Magnum, Charger and the future Challenger. If you have got a winning formula spread it across the Ford brands

hi5.0 11/6/07 01:08 AM

this topic has been brought up before - a Cougar based on the S197 Mustang, just like how the 1st-gen started. still think Mercury needs a halo car of its own, but Ford probably won't see a Cougar as the product to fill that slot - supposing such a halo vehicle for Mercury is even being considered at all...
my second choice for Merc would be a revamped, re-badged version of the Ford Fortynine (concept).

Twin Turbo 11/6/07 06:30 AM

Here in Britain, the only Cougar's ever sold officially were badged as a Ford

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...edFord_m_m.jpg

Nice enough, but more of a FWD hot hatch than a RWD muscle car.

Whilst I'm sure there are a few classic Cougars around, the Mustang is a thousand times more popular over here.

What I'd really like to see is another attempt at the Thunderbird. In my mind, I'd like this to be more of a "premium" product than the Mustang, sold in fewer numbers and featuring better perceived build quality using nicer materials etc. Looks wise, think something along the lines of these two:

http://miniminiera.com/wp/immagini/2..._1963__Thu.jpg
http://www.diseno-art.com/images/ford_49.jpg

jarradasay 11/6/07 07:16 AM

The last thing ford needs is more rebadged product. There is enough monotany with the car industry as it is. Rebadged products just compete with each other, cost more in tooling, cost more for inventorying, systems integration for model mix, etc.

While I am for the idea of the cougar, I don't think it makes sense currently.

GTJOHN 11/6/07 07:22 AM

It's a nice idea but it wouldn't be profitable. I would like to see the Cougar nameplate return, but I would hope that it would be completely different then the Mustang.
More Sportscar-ish with a V6, IRS and maybe AWD. A convertible option would be nice as well. A nice Sport/Luxury interior with all the goodies.

But, I would love to see the Ford Interceptor Concept go into production or a modern interpretation of the Torino made.

AWmustang 11/6/07 01:10 PM

I would love a more luxurious mustang... whether they call it a cougar or something unger the lincoln brand.

More techno gadgets... especially Sync which looks pretty cool. Keyless entry and start.... twin turbo engine....

Just to start things off.

codeman94 11/6/07 01:23 PM

Could you imagine the Mercury commercial chick driving a Cougar?...can anyone say "shwing!"?