Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/15, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shifter question

I read how everyone complains about the 2-3 shifts on the stock shifter. My issue is the 1-2, especially when it's cold. It's very clunky and feels like its scraping something sometimes.

I have to catch myself and make sure I am pulling back precisely in a straight line. If I cheat even slightly to the left like towards my body during that 1-2 shift, I get that scraping feel.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 4/10/15, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I read how everyone complains about the 2-3 shifts on the stock shifter. My issue is the 1-2, especially when it's cold. It's very clunky and feels like its scraping something sometimes.

I have to catch myself and make sure I am pulling back precisely in a straight line. If I cheat even slightly to the left like towards my body during that 1-2 shift, I get that scraping feel.

Yep.

Mine goes away after the car is driven for about 15 minutes. I suspect it's heavier duty gear oil in the track pack (don't quote me).

I double clutch it until the notchiness goes away.

You could also look into the MGW Race Spec shifter or the Blowfish Racing shifter bracket. These solutions correct the misalignment that can occur under heavy torque having a remotely mounted shifter.
Old 4/11/15, 06:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW Race Spec Shifter all problems go away!
Old 4/12/15, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, MGW works wonders on the driving experience. I still get a little bit of that on very cold days though. Now that it's warm here in NJ it's gone. What I really can't stand is that hill assist spring. That thing has to come out...
Old 4/12/15, 08:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Or you can look at the Steeda Tri Ax!

http://www.steeda.com/index.php?subc...roducts.search

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/12/15, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
MGW Nuff Said!
Old 4/12/15, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Fire
MGW Nuff Said!
+1. A quick search and you will find may recommending MGW's.
Old 4/13/15, 07:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever

Have you been able to address this with your Ford Dealer yet, Fords4Ever? If so, what have they said?

Deysha
Old 5/3/15, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

I commented before about the MGW Race Spec Shifter, after some thought I guess I'd ask how long you plan on keeping your current car? If your going to keep you car for a number of years. Then spend the extra money and get the best shifter available, no other aftermarket shifter compares to MGW, go to there Wed Site and Watch the Videos. No other aftermarket shifter has the ability to adjust the horizontal shift gate. Go to a local {Car Show} Cruise In and ask until you find someone who has a MGW installed, ask them if you can sit in there car and shift it!! That will answer your question!
Old 6/14/15, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not noticed any thing like that on mine all stock

not noticed any scrapping just the normal notchiness
Old 6/16/15, 08:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
what about the original design MGW shifter? Does that solve a lot of the issue? I've seen a number of them used for sale. Not sure if I should get the old design and save a few hundred bucks, or shell out the dough for a new one.
Old 6/16/15, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
what about the original design MGW shifter? Does that solve a lot of the issue? I've seen a number of them used for sale. Not sure if I should get the old design and save a few hundred bucks, or shell out the dough for a new one.

That was also my dilemma. MGW is really expensive. I ended up grabbing a used 2 post Barton bracket from someone local to me and bought a new Barton shifter.

the two combined, never missed a shift nor have experienced lockout. It's a great setup and considering its A LOT less than MGW was a bonus.
Old 6/16/15, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cheaper option is a new shift bracket, that fixed my 1-2 shifts quite a bit. You still notice when it's colder, but at least you know it's in gear. I went with the Steeda bracket
Old 6/18/15, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

There are many opinions about which Shifter is Best, many people have had good luck with other After Market Shifters other than MGW, The fact is they have been lucky, because there is no other After Market Shifter other than MGW that one can Adjust the Horizontal Gate, so the Shifter can be adjust Dead Nuts on, All Shifting problems go away if this Adjustment is made correctly! Yes, MGW is expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for!!!