2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Sensors to monitor, and good ranges

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/12, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sensors to monitor, and good ranges

Hey guys, new to the forum. Got my 2013 GT a week ago, ordered a Bama tune & Airade intake same day I bought the car lol. Anyway, I plugged my DashDAQ up to the car and set everything up so I can monitor everything to make sure things are working out as I continue to mod it.

I've never owned a Mustang before, all previous cars have been turbo imports. Can some of you gurus please let me know what good ranges for the following PID's should be?

• AFR - I'm assuming 11.7 is still optimal?
  • ECT - Seeing 205-210 where previous car would hover in the 190's
  • Cylinder Head Temperature - Seeing 210-230 in this hot *** texas heat
  • Spark Advance - Seeing 20* or so at WOT - Seems high, my old car was running 22* but that was on E85.
  • Knock Retard - Weird signal on this car, it shows positive and negative values. I'm assuming it's reading the timing that is being added or subtracted instead of just providing a value for degrees of knock
  • LTFT / STFT - I'm seeing +10 at idle on LTFT, but it goes back ~1 when driving.
  • Fuel Pressure - No idea what this value should be, I'm coming from a DISI platform where we would command 2000 PSI here.
  • Injector Pulse Width - Again, no idea what this should be on the mustang.
  • MAF airflow - Reads differently here, used to seeing g/s but this is reading in lbs
Anyways, if someone could give me good ranges to look for in the above sensors it would be very much appreciated. Also if there are any other PID's I should be watching please let me know.

Looking forward to being part of the community!
Old 7/3/12, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drenkel
Hey guys, new to the forum. Got my 2013 GT a week ago, ordered a Bama tune & Airade intake same day I bought the car lol. Anyway, I plugged my DashDAQ up to the car and set everything up so I can monitor everything to make sure things are working out as I continue to mod it.

I've never owned a Mustang before, all previous cars have been turbo imports. Can some of you gurus please let me know what good ranges for the following PID's should be?

• AFR - I'm assuming 11.7 is still optimal?
  • ECT - Seeing 205-210 where previous car would hover in the 190's
  • Cylinder Head Temperature - Seeing 210-230 in this hot *** texas heat
  • Spark Advance - Seeing 20* or so at WOT - Seems high, my old car was running 22* but that was on E85.
  • Knock Retard - Weird signal on this car, it shows positive and negative values. I'm assuming it's reading the timing that is being added or subtracted instead of just providing a value for degrees of knock
  • LTFT / STFT - I'm seeing +10 at idle on LTFT, but it goes back ~1 when driving.
  • Fuel Pressure - No idea what this value should be, I'm coming from a DISI platform where we would command 2000 PSI here.
  • Injector Pulse Width - Again, no idea what this should be on the mustang.
  • MAF airflow - Reads differently here, used to seeing g/s but this is reading in lbs
Anyways, if someone could give me good ranges to look for in the above sensors it would be very much appreciated. Also if there are any other PID's I should be watching please let me know.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Drenkel,

First off welcome to The Mustang Source! Glad you were able to get into a 2013 5.0 with a Bama Tune & Airaid CAI!

Now to the tech questions.

- AFR in pure gasoline terms (14.64 stoich) should be in the 12.5-12.6 range on our tunes for a naturally aspirated engine. More commonly, gas stations have E10, which has a stoichiometric value of 14.08. This means that in air/fuel ratio terms, you'll see ~11.9. Most air/fuel ratio gauges read in gasoline terms, so you should look for 12.5-12.6. If what you're using to log shows lambda, that's the best bet. The factory PID's are in lambda, and should show around .850 at WOT and around 1 idle/part throttle.

-ECT's look great, these engines like to run pretty hot, even on 70 degree days!

-Cylinder head temps are always a little more, and look good as well.

-Spark advance is actually pretty low. I'm assuming you're running an 87 octane tune? Our 93 octane tunes will go as high as 27* safely. Again, you're talking about natural aspiration, so timing is higher. Coming from forced induction, you're probably used to high teens for timing, etc.

-Knock Sensors show both positive and negative, probably because the car is equipped with adaptive spark from the factory. This is great, since it's able to add timing until the PCM sees knock and then backs off, which will always safely give you max power potential. It all depends what you're logging with, though. Some hardware isn't great with logging newer Coyote/Copperhead PCM's. You might want to use a laptop and SCT Livelink.

-LTFT, these numbers my be weird with the DashDaq if it's not reading the PCM properly. I wouldn't worry much about them if the car only has a Bama/CAI since the car has a factory wideband. If you want to for piece of mind you can take a few datalogs to send into Bama and have any necessary adjustments made.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...alog-11-12.pdf

-Fuel pressure and Injector pulsewidth is all set to stock and doesn't need any adjusting from the factory with just bolt-ons

-MAF airlfow is measured in Hz, lbs was for 2010 and older.

Hope this helps clear some things up. If you haven't tried out the 91 or 93 octane tune yet I highly suggest it! You'll really love the aggressive throttle response!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 7/3/12 at 03:07 PM.