Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SelectShift: Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/14, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
There is no problem with the 2013 - 2014 auto tranny. It is just what the expectations are and how it is used.

Want to be able to just cruise and go fast. Put it in D. And you're faster then most other cars on the road.
Want to go really quick with engine braking and very responsive down shifts when you step on it : put it in sport mode and leave it there. You're going to be faster then most cars on the road. You're probably really quick on the drag strip.
Want to drive in the mountains, if you want, you can use the seleshift. But it will never be as fast as a stick shift or, let's say the paddle shifters of a Nissan 370Z. But it is not bad! Not bad at all! You just need to know how to use it, and understand that the seleshift was never intended to be used to race.
Do you put it in sport and let it shift on its own most of the time? Other than highway as you would probably want 6th....or do you just leave it in D?
Old 1/10/14, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plim, well stated.

Now, if there was a tune available for SelectShift to firm up the shifts and quicken response to gear changes, life (in the fast lane) would be even better.

I know that tunes are available that do firm up gear changes in "Drive", but I don't think those tunes effect SelectShift at all.

Dave
Old 1/10/14, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by devilcaninex
Do you put it in sport and let it shift on its own most of the time? Other than highway as you would probably want 6th....or do you just leave it in D?
Depending on my mood, I put it in D or S.

I live in an area with lots of hills and mountains. When I go up or down a small winding road, I shift it myself, as I have the possibility to just leave it in second gear.
Old 1/10/14, 09:05 PM

6th gear is extremely tall. In 6th gear at 2000 rpm, my speedo reads 70mph. Extrapolating a bit, 4000 rpm is 140 mph (if 6th would pull it) and 6000 grand =210 mph. With a redline of 6800 rpm, you can see that 6th gear is designed for steady cruising to minimize fuel consumption.

BTW, approximate speeds in gears (informal testing): 40 mph, 70 mph, 110 mph, and 4th (calculated) 150 mph. I assume it won't pull 5th gear.

Dave
Old 1/10/14, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dave Bogue
6th gear is extremely tall. In 6th gear at 2000 rpm, my speedo reads 70mph. Extrapolating a bit, 4000 rpm is 140 mph (if 6th would pull it) and 6000 grand =210 mph. With a redline of 6800 rpm, you can see that 6th gear is designed for steady cruising to minimize fuel consumption. BTW, approximate speeds in gears (informal testing): 40 mph, 70 mph, 110 mph, and 4th (calculated) 150 mph. I assume it won't pull 5th gear. Dave
I can confirm it actually does 140 in D.
Old 1/10/14, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered auto just for something different all my other cars have been manuals. The more I read it seems the auto isn't good unless you have a tune.
Old 1/10/14, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered auto just for something different all my other cars have been manuals. The more I read it seems the auto isn't good unless you have a tune.
?????What is not good ????
Old 1/10/14, 11:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know I just seem to read a lot of people saying a tune makes the auto how it should have been from the factory. I don'thear many people saging they like the auto as is. I guess I read a lot of people with the manual complaining of grinding also. Ive never had an auto so I guess I will see when my car arrives. I don't want to have to mess with a tune but I keep reading how great a tune makes the auto.
Old 1/11/14, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't know I just seem to read a lot of people saying a tune makes the auto how it should have been from the factory. I don'thear many people saging they like the auto as is. I guess I read a lot of people with the manual complaining of grinding also. Ive never had an auto so I guess I will see when my car arrives. I don't want to have to mess with a tune but I keep reading how great a tune makes the auto.
I would assume, that if you order a car, and spend quite a bit of $ on this, you would have done at least a test drive to see if YOU like it. Why would you solely depend on what others think, AFTER you ordered a car??
Old 1/11/14, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Plim
I would assume, that if you order a car, and spend quite a bit of $ on this, you would have done at least a test drive to see if YOU like it. Why would you solely depend on what others think, AFTER you ordered a car??
I did test drive it BEFORE iI ordered however the sales guy was not going to appreciate me driving it like I stole it so im trying to get more realworld opinnions from those driving the auto without a BBABY SITTER.
Old 1/11/14, 12:57 PM

FWIW, I test drove a 348 hp Hyundai Genesis Coupe and the GT Mustang. Both cars hit the triple digits on a limited access highway.

Both salesman seemed to enjoy the experience. One sent me an email to that effect.

Dave
Old 1/11/14, 12:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I know in the stone age when you let off the gas in an auto then got back on the gas it would eventually tear something up in the tranny. I do know letting off the gas does make these new ones shift faster, but worry you can do damage like in the older ones. Are my worries unfounded?
Old 1/11/14, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
.........I do know letting off the gas does make these new ones shift faster,..........
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean if you get off the gas the trans will up-shift SOONER, at lower rpm?

Typically, stock "slow" shifting transmissions can be adjusted by a tuner to shift much quicker. This is only an advantage if you are racing; it will lower your ET in drag racing.

From reading this forum, the 6 speed auto trans on the 5.0 seems to be quite durable.

Have fun,
Dave
Old 1/11/14, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I know in the stone age when you let off the gas in an auto then got back on the gas it would eventually tear something up in the tranny. I do know letting off the gas does make these new ones shift faster, but worry you can do damage like in the older ones. Are my worries unfounded?
I don't remember hearing about that problem, but I always drove sticks back then.

Today's autos are electronically controlled, so I expect their programming prevents damage that might have occurred with the older mechanical designs.

The Mustang's 6R80 trans has a growing reputation for being very strong, as Dave mentioned above.

Last edited by El Coyote GT/CS; 1/11/14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 1/11/14, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Select shift sounds like it would be great for rolling pulls. Get in the right gear for ~4k rpms, mash gas, throw it in D, let the car take over. Would that work?
Old 1/11/14, 05:37 PM

I like the concept.

This could be just the ticket for racing your buddy who has an old fashioned manual transmission.

Actually, I was thinking something similar: driving out of the hole locked in 1st to finesse the wheelspin, then shifting to Drive.

Some of the drag racers must have tried this........

Dave
Old 1/11/14, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I did test drive it BEFORE iI ordered however the sales guy was not going to appreciate me driving it like I stole it so im trying to get more realworld opinnions from those driving the auto without a BBABY SITTER.
When I test drove, the sales guy, made sure I understood, that it was supposed to be a real test drive! And I would not have it any other way either, as I was looking at a serious amount of money I was going to put on the table for my weekend warrior!
So my drive included quite a bit of illegal speeds, some very quick starts and those kinds of things.
Old 1/11/14, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Just put it in S and drive like you stole it. No need to let of the gas to make it shift quicker.
You let of the gas if you shift manually using the seleshift, to make it engage in gear quicker. But it's never going to be faster than S. Just use seleshift for mountain driving and such.
Old 1/11/14, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

There seem to be a lot of misunderstanding about this automatic transmission as found in the 2013 and 2014 models,

In S mode, the transmission shifts very well. In fact I would bet that a standard V8 automatic will make a better quarter mile time than stock manual V8.

The seleshift part of the transmission is a means to make manual shifts. However, not as fast as in S, when it does it automatically, nor nowhere as fast as you can do yourself in a manual car.

What is the seleshift ideal for? Driving in the mountains. Going up the mountain, as wel as going down. Or in small twisty sections of a road, where you can leave the transmission engaged in a gear

Are there better automatics out there? Yes. Nissan 370Z, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. but a car that you can buy for low 20's with an automatic? NO, probably not, because this transmission is not bad at all!
Old 1/12/14, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the automatic because my wife has not driven a stick since 1994 and she may have to drive my car in an emergency. But after driving it, I REALLY like it a lot. I do wish it shifted faster/firmer but I can live with it like it is.

Quick Reply: SelectShift: Pros & Cons