2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SelectShift: Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/14, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SelectShift: Pros & Cons

Sport Mode: I suspect that Sport Mode is more designed for towing than for driving fast. It primarily locks out 6th gear and downshifts at lower rpm. It does not hold the trans longer in the gears before upshifting, but if you're hauling a trailer you're probably applying more gas anyway so the trans will stay in gear longer. Sport Mode does not firm up shifts more than Drive, so no additional "sport" there.

What I do like about Sport Mode is that you can use the thumb rocker switch to select gears any time you like, manually holding the trans in gear just like a manual trans. So, in theory SelectShift is the best of both worlds. In practice, it's not.

There is a significant time lag after you press the button before the trans will shift up or down. This is just poor design. At WOT in 1st gear, you have to press the button to up-shift at 5 grand or you'll hit the rev limiter. Very imprecise if you are trying to go fast.

Another thing, when you stop, the SelectShift sometimes automatically down-shifts to 1st gear, sometimes 2nd or 3rd. You can't depend on it down-shifting to 1st reliably.

The concept of SelectShift is excellent. The execution of the concept is unrefined at best.

Dave
Old 1/8/14, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have found that the transmission shifts much faster if you let of the gas when you change the gear. Basically, what you would also do if you drive a stick shift.
If you drive it like an automatic (just keep your foot on the gas while pressing the shift button), it will shift a lot slower.

Have you noticed the same?

With regard to the downshifting when coming to a stop: if you're driving fast and breaking hard, it will shift to first gear when you come to a stop. If you're taking it more easy, the tranny will shift in 3rd when you come to a stop. You can also easily start driving again from 3rd gear. No problem.
I'm interested if you can replicate this as well.
Old 1/8/14, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I do the same thing, I let go off gas, change the gear, and apply gas.
I think it does change the gear in a much faster/more responsive manner, it does get sketchy when you change gears while holding the gas paddle, probably because the computer might have to do few more calculations before it performs the change? don't know.
Old 1/8/14, 11:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I also found that it shifts more precisely if you lift your foot off the throttle just as you shift. As to downshifting, mine will not downshift if I slow down and come to a stop and was in third or second gear, but if I am in fourth or fifth gear it will reliably downshift to first when I come to a complete stop. I really like the system and feel that Ford did an excellent job with it.
Old 1/8/14, 11:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, it's still the same automatic transmission, it's not a paddle shifted automated manual and it's never going to act like one.

And for most instances, especially drag racing, the computer will shift it better than the operator ever will.
Old 1/9/14, 12:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
And for most instances, especially drag racing, the computer will shift it better than the operator ever will.
Agreed. For a straight pass, leave it in A.

When in S mode, I've noticed it will hold a gear when backing off the throttle to make a hot turn. I like that.

And, I've found S mode very useful when mountain driving, gearing down earlier on a climb and holding gears longer giving more compression braking.

The button is used when I want to make the Borlas howl!
Old 1/9/14, 06:38 AM

Thanks to all for the tips and information.

To clarify, I have 2 basic complaints for SelectShift:

1. Delayed response when you press the button

2. The soft (slow) up-shift

This is a high performance car; SelectShift should not be SLOW.

QUESTION: Do tuners like Steeda or Bama correct these problems on SelectShift?

Best wishes,
Dave
Old 1/9/14, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

You all should get a tune, from what I've heard it will firm up those shifts and be a completely different animal.

The 6R trans is a great unit, it's just very tame from the factory.
Old 1/9/14, 07:43 AM

Yes, that's correct, but will any of the tuners correct the deficiencies of the SelectShift mode?

Dave
Old 1/9/14, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
I have found that the transmission shifts much faster if you let of the gas when you change the gear. Basically, what you would also do if you drive a stick shift.
If you drive it like an automatic (just keep your foot on the gas while pressing the shift button), it will shift a lot slower.

Have you noticed the same?
Thanks that really helped.. now it is responding better.
Old 1/9/14, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a difference if you put it in sport mode but let it shift on its own over just putting it in D?

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Thanks that really helped.. now it is responding better.
Old 1/9/14, 09:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Torque management in autos takes the fun out of full throttle shifts. In previous generations a tune would turn that off, not sure on the 11s +.
Old 1/9/14, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In the old days, you could buy a $25 shift kit to make cars shift better. Now you have to buy $500 worth of tuner and tunes to do the same thing. Isn't technology wonderful?
Old 1/9/14, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by devilcaninex
Is there a difference if you put it in sport mode but let it shift on its own over just putting it in D?
yes there is... but when i was using the selectshift earlier with gas it was not responding well. now when i ease on the gas n do the shifting it is better. just tried this today morning in a busy houston road not on track or drag strip though.
Old 1/10/14, 10:54 AM

The idea that one should let off the gas when shifting gears so the auto trans will shift faster is counterproductive.

The advantage of a high performance auto trans is that it shifts a lot quicker than a manual trans and can do this at wide open throttle.

SelectShift has merit in that it allows the driver to choose a gear and when to shift, but it's SLOW up-shifts are incongruous with a 420 horsepower Mustang GT.

Dave
Old 1/10/14, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Bogue
The idea that one should let off the gas when shifting gears so the auto trans will shift faster is counterproductive.

The advantage of a high performance auto trans is that it shifts a lot quicker than a manual trans and can do this at wide open throttle.

SelectShift has merit in that it allows the driver to choose a gear and when to shift, but it's SLOW up-shifts are incongruous with a 420 horsepower Mustang GT.

Dave
I agree that letting off the gas to shift is not good, so I don't do it.

I believe the advantages of an automatic include; not missing a shift, torque multiplication from the converter being easier on drive-train parts, continuous power to the wheels when shifting, and consistency of performance. That slamming a hard shift might eek out an little better ET is nice, but upping the shift pressure reduces overall drivability. That compromise is probably the trickiest part of doing tunes for Autos.

I guess that's why the tuners I've discussed this with just recommend putting it in D (Automatic mode) and hit the gas to get the best straight line performance. Use the button for special situations.

When putting around, I can barely feel it shift...and that's nice. But agree that when I drive like an a$$hole (yes, it happens), I would prefer a more assertive shift!
Old 1/10/14, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 GT AUTO

Originally Posted by Dave Bogue
Sport Mode: I suspect that Sport Mode is more designed for towing than for driving fast. It primarily locks out 6th gear and downshifts at lower rpm. It does not hold the trans longer in the gears before upshifting, but if you're hauling a trailer you're probably applying more gas anyway so the trans will stay in gear longer. Sport Mode does not firm up shifts more than Drive, so no additional "sport" there.

What I do like about Sport Mode is that you can use the thumb rocker switch to select gears any time you like, manually holding the trans in gear just like a manual trans. So, in theory SelectShift is the best of both worlds. In practice, it's not.

There is a significant time lag after you press the button before the trans will shift up or down. This is just poor design. At WOT in 1st gear, you have to press the button to up-shift at 5 grand or you'll hit the rev limiter. Very imprecise if you are trying to go fast.

Another thing, when you stop, the SelectShift sometimes automatically down-shifts to 1st gear, sometimes 2nd or 3rd. You can't depend on it down-shifting to 1st reliably.

The concept of SelectShift is excellent. The execution of the concept is unrefined at best.

Dave
I don't have any of these problems all of you are talking about. Mine works fine. Dave , hit the up button on shifter when in sport mode 5th and it will go to 6th gear. Once you use select shift you should shift it like a manual, upshifting and down shifting. You would not drive a manual up to a red light in 5th gear and not down shift it . Right?
Old 1/10/14, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by CLARKIES GT
I don't have any of these problems all of you are talking about. Mine works fine. Dave , hit the up button on shifter when in sport mode 5th and it will go to 6th gear. Once you use select shift you should shift it like a manual, upshifting and down shifting. You would not drive a manual up to a red light in 5th gear and not down shift it . Right?
Ford gives you three choices: Drive or Sport Mode or SelectShift.

In Sport Mode the trans is locked out of 6th gear,

When you switch to SelectShift (use the button) you leave Sport Mode.

And, when using SelectShift, if you come to a stop in gears 4-6, it will down-shift in to 1st automatically. A nice feature. Give it a try.

Dave
Old 1/10/14, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm glad I don't have all these problems with my 2011 auto.
Old 1/10/14, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
I'm glad I don't have all these problems with my 2011 auto.
There is no problem with the 2013 - 2014 auto tranny. It is just what the expectations are and how it is used.

Want to be able to just cruise and go fast. Put it in D. And you're faster then most other cars on the road.
Want to go really quick with engine braking and very responsive down shifts when you step on it : put it in sport mode and leave it there. You're going to be faster then most cars on the road. You're probably really quick on the drag strip.
Want to drive in the mountains, if you want, you can use the seleshift. But it will never be as fast as a stick shift or, let's say the paddle shifters of a Nissan 370Z. But it is not bad! Not bad at all! You just need to know how to use it, and understand that the seleshift was never intended to be used to race.

Quick Reply: SelectShift: Pros & Cons