2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Satellite radio capable?

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/12, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite radio capable?

I have a 2012 base GT...window sticker says it is satellite radio capable. I used to have Sirius and since the car is capable and came with a free 6 month subscription, I figured I'd use it. I can't get the ESN to activate it because when I press the Sirius button it gives the message "No Sat Radio".

What am I doing wrong? It sounds like that message means the car is NOT satellite radio capable, but I have to assume that isn't the case. That would be pretty crappy to show a car is satellite radio capable when it's not. So I must be doing something wrong?
Old 1/28/12, 03:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Satellite capable means one can be hooked up to the factory radio, the car doesn't come with it. And only premium cars come with the satellite radio with the 6 month subscription, your base car doesn't.

The dealer sells a kit that they can put in, usually runs about $500-$600.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 1/28/12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 1/28/12, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No antenna on the trunk, no factory installed system....
Old 1/28/12, 04:07 PM

Meh, they could claim an am/fm radio is satellite capable since you can buy a receiver and use the modulator to get the signal on the radio. Very disappointing.
Old 1/28/12, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overtorqued
Meh, they could claim an am/fm radio is satellite capable since you can buy a receiver and use the modulator to get the signal on the radio. Very disappointing.
FM modulator and a direct hook up with control abilities are not the same thing.
Old 1/28/12, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
FM modulator and a direct hook up with control abilities are not the same thing.
I realize that. And satellite radio capable is not the same thing as satellite radio direct control capable either.
Old 1/28/12, 08:10 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2012 base GT...window sticker says it is satellite radio capable. I used to have Sirius and since the car is capable and came with a free 6 month subscription, I figured I'd use it. I can't get the ESN to activate it because when I press the Sirius button it gives the message "No Sat Radio".

What am I doing wrong? It sounds like that message means the car is NOT satellite radio capable, but I have to assume that isn't the case. That would be pretty crappy to show a car is satellite radio capable when it's not. So I must be doing something wrong?
It is satellite radio capable - but it doesn't have the receiver is all. That just means that you can add the receiver (mounted in the trunk) and the radio will accept the signal and broadcast. But if you don't have the receiver the button for "AUX" or "SAT" has nothing with a signal.
Old 1/28/12, 08:47 PM
GTR Member

And satellite radio capable is not the same thing as satellite radio direct control capable either.
When you get the kit installed at the dealer the factory radio controls for the satellite radio will then work.
Old 1/28/12, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or get the iSimple kit and install it yourself for $200 plus shipping.
Old 1/29/12, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
When you get the kit installed at the dealer the factory radio controls for the satellite radio will then work.
Yeah, I understand that now, thanks. It's just kind of misleading in that it sounds like the system is ready to go but really all you have is a head unit that can control a sat radio receiver. That's all. I know now, but I definitely won't be giving Ford any more money for this "feature" to work.
Old 1/29/12, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Or get the iSimple kit and install it yourself for $200 plus shipping.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old 1/29/12, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I put a Sirius6 in my '08. The FM modulated type su#$s. The direct input through the Aux jack is the same as a factory install set up, IMHO.

The antenna is under the package tray. The mount is in the console into the Aux jack and power come from the jack in the console. You don't see it at all.

Get a decent remote if you do it this way. It's a pain to lift the armrest to change the channel.
Old 1/29/12, 05:32 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I understand that now, thanks. It's just kind of misleading in that it sounds like the system is ready to go but really all you have is a head unit that can control a sat radio receiver. That's all. I know now, but I definitely won't be giving Ford any more money for this "feature" to work.
Every manufacturer, not just Ford, will list the radio as "satellite capable" -- because it is, you just have to buy something else to enable it.