Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rock Chips/Road Rash/body shop question

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/12, 09:46 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not surprised at the cost - the insurance adjuster - yes I am surprised .... I'm Nebraskan by birth so I send all my Cornhusker / Irish good luck your way in getting this replaced and good as new...
Old 10/31/12, 01:15 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Chad...........this really sucks.

Don't 'spose you managed to get any photos of the road you were driving on? Any way of getting confirmation from a legit source (someone in the State is responsible for putting the debris on the road)? Even some evidence of the crash (internet/newspaper story) would help get the evidence you, or rather the assessor, needs.

Hope this all gets sorted soon
Old 10/31/12, 01:40 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by t-fatty
Take the money from ins. and trade the car. I wouldn't want a repainted new car, hope what ever is done your happy with.
Originally Posted by t-fatty
Like i said earlier in this post take ins. check and trade car for a new one.
This.

I would never be able to keep that car with it repainted.
Old 10/31/12, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's newspaper articles about the wreck...I also have card transactions from the area, I use google latitude so it tracks where I go, and I had a passenger
Old 10/31/12, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Go with the shop you are comfortable with. The insurance company can’t tell you or force you to choose one shop over another. They have “Preferred” shops they will try to steer you to but you do not have to use them.
Remember, you have “estimates” in your hands and like the shop estimator, the adjuster is working off of what he can see. None of those figures are cut in stone. The insurance company will likely cut a check for less than the amount on the estimate. If the repairs cost more, the estimator has to go to the shop, see what’s going on, readjust the figure if it’s warranted and cut another check to cover the balance…it’s done this way all the time.
As far as the adjuster being suspicious about the claim, BFD…it’s not his to deny. You have a contract with the insurance carrier and a damaged car. They took your money and in return promised to fix the damage to your car. In this case it would likely be covered under the comprehensive part of your policy. I believe a point of law stands on your side if they decide not to honor their fiduciary obligation to you…
As mentioned elsewhere in this thread and by you, provide proof you were there that unlucky day, also of the gravel used on the road (Get the local or state DOT to provide proof if you need it), pull weather records and the accident report you spoke of. You might even visit or call some body shops in the area of the sanded/graveled roads to see if others are filing claims of a similar nature.
Best of luck and don’t give up without a fight.

John
Old 10/31/12, 11:17 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Excellent advice TT!

Keep pushin Chad! I REALLY DON'T LIKE insurance companies so I'm definitely rooting for you buddy!
Old 10/31/12, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, sorry to see Chad I remember like yesterday us waiting on our rides and to see this makes me sad.. Good luck with it.
Old 11/2/12, 08:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
adjuster looked at it and said its unbelievable that this all happened in one incident...
It wasn't one incident. Every chip was from a different rock and therefore a separate incident with its own deductible.

Ya gotta luv insurance companies!
Old 11/2/12, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

heard back from adjuster

they will pay the amount of my 2nd estimate (11,800)

i can take it to body shop of my choice but that's all they will pay, the shop i want to do it is at 14,400

900 labor difference and the paint...cheap body shop maxes out the paint cost at $500, good body shop has 2200 in there for paint cost

i faxed cheap body shop estimate to good body shop seeing what they can do

i do kinda have a 2000 cushion...my wheels are estimated at 3200, i can save 2 grand and go aftermarket for 300/piece...but i dont know if i want to do that since i optioned these wheels special (64x)
Old 11/2/12, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had wheels repaired in the past at a really reasonable cost. They can profile the wheel in the computer and CNC turn a couple thousands off the surface. Enough to make 'em look new again but not enough to affect strength or know they've been re-machined. Mine ended up looking as good as new and the powder coat finish they applied is still holding up well. Call Rossi Wheel Service in Bloomington, MN if you're interested.

John
Old 11/3/12, 08:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
I've had wheels repaired in the past at a really reasonable cost. They can profile the wheel in the computer and CNC turn a couple thousands off the surface. Enough to make 'em look new again but not enough to affect strength or know they've been re-machined. Mine ended up looking as good as new and the powder coat finish they applied is still holding up well. Call Rossi Wheel Service in Bloomington, MN if you're interested.

John

I had to have 2 wheels reconditioned after I was hit and curbed the wheels. I was very hesitant and i'm very **** abouy my cars. but for less than $200 per wheel they came out great.
Old 11/3/12, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

I might get the ford racing boss 302s wheels and save 2000 and then keep my 64x wheels and have them reconditioned
Old 11/3/12, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now if the original guy can show that there is no way the 2nd one could repair it for that amount, will they reconsider? You know the old saying, you get what you pay for.....I went to a local place for my sons truck as that is where the insurance company got the best quote and within a year or so the clear coat was coming off, the cheap parts they used didn't fit as well as the originals, etc. Of course, we have to keep costs down so the CEO and Exec's can keep getting those huge bonuses....
Old 11/3/12, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

The first body shop is going to contact the adjuster

Body shop 1 had $2100 for paint

Body shop 2 has a paint cap on the estimate of $500
Old 11/3/12, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck with everything. I really feel badly for you.
Old 11/4/12, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

That's just crazy. Sorry about you car.

The first car I purchased brand new was a Nissan 4x4. I had it a month and had to stop for a car making a left hand turn. Couldn't get around him because of a guard rail. We were stopped just past a blind turn. I got hit by the car behind me doing around 45 mph while my truck was standing still. I got the truck fixed but it didn't feel the same, especially after a few after market replacement parts.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 11/5/12, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

body shop a will adjust his labor rates

body shop a looked at body shop b's estimate and said it didnt have any estimate in there for feather/prime/block and finish sand/buff

waiting for updated estimate from a...then have to call adjuster and bring this to his attention

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!
Old 11/5/12, 04:19 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
at least you're making headway here. You may end up with very little out of pocket, keep prodding them and it'll be good as new before you know it.
Old 11/5/12, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chad, there was no other road option to avoid this incident? With every surface and the rims getting the crap kicked out of them I think I would have turned back and waited till it was clear.. I figured you did not have any other option though.. Sad. But I am sure it will be as good as new..
Old 11/5/12, 05:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Funny, my wife just led me into a patch of road construction....Literally a stretch of loose gravel.

Well I drove through it at about 5mph while horns and brights were blaring at me. I didn't give a shlt. I kept crawling.

Every since I first read this thread, I have been super paranoid about loose gravel. You can literally destroy your paint in a spirited drive through gravel. On a side note, I can't imagine having painted rockers.., end of rant.

Quick Reply: Rock Chips/Road Rash/body shop question