2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Refinanced car and lost GAP insurance.... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/14, 06:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13
Gap insurance doesn't usually last the life of the loan anyway, my finance company Capital One only offered it for the first two years. Fortunately, a surprise to me, the BOSS is worth more two years after I bought it. That indeed is a first for me!
The loan usually equals the depreciated value within the first few years so GAP is only worth considering at first. I've never bought it.
Old 12/22/14, 09:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13
Gap insurance doesn't usually last the life of the loan anyway, my finance company Capital One only offered it for the first two years. Fortunately, a surprise to me, the BOSS is worth more two years after I bought it. That indeed is a first for me!
Now they dont even offer it at all...

https://helpcenter.capitalone360.com...ory=AUTOACCGAP

What is GAP?
GAP is a product that may be sold as insurance or as a debt cancellation contract. GAP may pay towards the remaining balance (subject to certain conditions and varies by provider) after your primary insurance company pays on the claim. GAP products are sold by motor vehicle dealers. Capital One Auto Finance does not sell GAP.

If you have refinanced your loan, check with your provider to see if you still have GAP coverage.
Old 12/22/14, 09:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
The loan usually equals the depreciated value within the first few years so GAP is only worth considering at first. I've never bought it.
The thing is, it`s really not that expensive IF you are able to get it from a secondary non dealer source. The dealer offered stuff is generally marked up 100%
Old 12/23/14, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
The dealer won't tell you this... you need to go to them. I really wonder how many people don't do it because they don't realize they can get a good chunk back (prorated). This also applies to tire/wheel protection the dealer may sell...
the dealer will give it back to you? If canceled
Old 12/23/14, 10:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by lajntx
The thing is, it`s really not that expensive IF you are able to get it from a secondary non dealer source. The dealer offered stuff is generally marked up 100%
I pay $2 every six months for mine... It's stupid cheap.
Old 12/23/14, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lajntx
Hey everyone, here`s different something for you.

I recently refinanced my `14 because my credit has had night & day improvement and was able to lower the payment $20/mo - and keeping the same amount of payments. However, after the fact, I found out my GAP insurance purchased through the dealership automatically cancelled once the original loan was PIF....... d@mn!

So I hit the internet looking for answers....... Get it from your bank or insurance company! ok......

New loan is with Capital One...... Does not offer
Insurance co... Geico... .does not offer in TX.

Come to find out no insurance company really offers GAP ins in TX ( where you didnt buy the car new while you had a policy in force with them already ) other than Progressive and their 25% of ACV program. I check into that, it wont cover everything... but close.. Give progressive a call..... They offer me a policy with that @ $80 less than what Geico is charging me... Ok sign me up!

Call Geico.... "Yeah I`m cancelling because I can get insured cheaper elswehere". Geico counter offers with a new premium that is $180 per month cheaper than the policy I was cancelling ( and $100 per month cheaper than Progressive ). Turn away an extra $1200 off a year to stay? Never... Sign me up!..... I call Progressive back and cancel them.

So now... I have had $200 a month cut off of my monthly obligations, but I`m still without GAP on an upside down car. I checked the state insurance boards webside and looked at every single company liscensed to sell GAP in TX..... None of them sell directly to the public.

Any options here? Dont get me wrong...and extra $2400 a year to pay off debt will make a dent in the note quick, but I really dont like being "exposed" like this.
I just added this to my allstate insurance plan. Works out to just a little over $200 a year but that's in NY. Hate being exposed also. This thread made me look into it.

http://www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/new-car-replacement.aspx

From what I understand if car is a total loss they will give me a check to replace it with another Mustang GT of the current year. It is only for the first three years of owning the car. If it gets totaled next year they pay to replace it with a 2016 etc.. Definitely piece of mind.

Last edited by imeyers302; 12/23/14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12/23/14, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imeyers302
From what I understand if car is a total loss they will give me a check to replace it with another Mustang GT of the current year. It is only for the first three years of owning the car. If it gets totaled next year they pay to replace it with a 2016 etc.. Definitely piece of mind.
That is different from my understanding of GAP insurance. I believe GAP insurance is really more of a policy that covers the finance company for a "gap" in the value of the car & the finance amount.

Personally, I see that as notice that you are financing too much of the price of the vehicle. My experience is that if your down payment covers any possible "gap", they won't sell you GAP insurance, anyway.
Old 12/23/14, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
the dealer will give it back to you? If canceled
No, the place I bought the car only sells it when they sell you the car. Not to say that there arent dealers out there that wont sell a stand alone GAP. Keep in mind this same dealership charges $700 per GAP contract.... and dont forget the finance charges you pay on it. Compare that to what some of the other people are mentioning price point wise and you can see why the dealer isnt the best option.... provided you have options elsewhere