2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The reason why the Induction Sound Tube is good

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/13, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I've found a solution... electronically operated cut-outs! Super mean for cruising up to the show, nice and quiet when desired. Just not sure I'm into having the exhaust cut up on a brand new car.
Old 5/10/13, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max5ive0
Well, its not a garden hose, it has apparently 2 baffles, a mounting bracket, a connection to the intake tube, which probably had to be flow tested to ensure it didnt disturb anything, a single purpose pass through the Fire wall, a one way valve type thing. And to my knowledge it hasn't been used by another FoMoCo vehicle so it wasnt sitting in a parts bin. Probably cost quite a bit where I would have preferred hood struts.
BINGO!!! Hood struts are my next addition. I've been wondering for several years why the trunk rates struts and the hood doesn't? Ford, ditch the prop rod and give us hood struts!
Old 5/10/13, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
I think I've found a solution... electronically operated cut-outs! Super mean for cruising up to the show, nice and quiet when desired. Just not sure I'm into having the exhaust cut up on a brand new car.
Those electronic cut-outs are the berries. A vast improvement over the pipes and screw-on caps in our early days, huh? I hated crawling underneath the car to uncap.
Old 5/10/13, 09:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by max5ive0
Well, its not a garden hose, it has apparently 2 baffles, a mounting bracket, a connection to the intake tube, which probably had to be flow tested to ensure it didnt disturb anything, a single purpose pass through the Fire wall, a one way valve type thing. And to my knowledge it hasn't been used by another FoMoCo vehicle so it wasnt sitting in a parts bin. Probably cost quite a bit where I would have preferred hood struts.
Mathematical modeling. You would be surprised how inexpensive--and accurate--flow modeling is today. The materials are all abundant, it's function is fundamentally trivial. I doubt this took whatever worker-bee engineer that designed it more than an hour to mock up, test and prototype. Field testing was likely done in conjunction with any other field testing. I doubt this cost Ford very much at all to include, either in time or expense.
Old 5/10/13, 09:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
I've been wondering for several years why the trunk rates struts and the hood doesn't?

Because the trunk lid would keep hitting the women in the head when they put their groceries back there...

Oh-Oh...
Old 5/10/13, 11:25 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Because the trunk lid would keep hitting the women in the head when they put their groceries back there...

Oh-Oh...
But what about us guys gettin knocked by the hood?? I demand fair treatment!
Old 5/10/13, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Well, I'm way past this point in life, but- when going to pick up the girlfriend at her parent's house, it might be good not to show up in a rumbling cacophony of thunder...

Also, I go to work really early in the morning- and my lovely stay at home wife doesn't necessarily want to wake up when I leave the garage. I started up a Boss 302 and thought "There's no way I could get out of the garage without waking up the wife... unless I pushed it out onto the driveway and drifted to the next house over."

Those are two (somewhat cynical) examples, but I don't think I will really enjoy the louder exhaust when I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on I-35 either (but on the weekend when I'm out cruising and going to car shows, heck yeah I want audial awesomeness).
Wait, you have a gf *and* a stay at home wife?? Wow...lucky guy
Old 5/10/13, 11:36 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

I just saw that lol
Old 5/12/13, 01:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

As the old toast goes- "To our wives and our girlfriends... may they never meet!"

I guess being truly lucky is having both- and them being the same woman! (Thus concludes our Hallmark moment-of-the-day.)

I've looked it up, and running cut-outs on the street is illegal in Texas (no big surprise). The question is- if they are electronically operated and are closed, can you pass inspection with them installed? I would think the answer is yes, since I believe the Boss 302 has cut-outs installed (aren't the side exhausts connected to cut-outs?).

Last edited by Varilux; 5/12/13 at 01:57 AM.
Old 5/12/13, 02:20 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I wonder how much Ford spent on this "tube"? Between the engineers, eggheads, beancounters, manufacturing it, installing it, etc. it makes me wonder. Could my stock dividends have been a little higher?

I have no problem hearing the engine in my Mustang, and it doesn't have a "sound tube". For some reason, it makes a whining noise starting at about 3500 rpm and only gets louder the longer you stand on it. Maybe it needs a "sound tube" though, because I wish it was louder inside the car.
Old 5/12/13, 02:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I wonder how much Ford spent on this "tube"? Between the engineers, eggheads, beancounters, manufacturing it, installing it, etc. it makes me wonder. Could my stock dividends have been a little higher?

I have no problem hearing the engine in my Mustang, and it doesn't have a "sound tube". For some reason, it makes a whining noise starting at about 3500 rpm and only gets louder the longer you stand on it. Maybe it needs a "sound tube" though, because I wish it was louder inside the car.
Thought my SC was a little quiet under the hood. Then I took the resonator off the intake, and I heard a much more satisfyingly loud whine.
Old 5/12/13, 05:53 AM
GTR Member

[COLOR=blue]
I've looked it up, and running cut-outs on the street is illegal in Texas (no big surprise). The question is- if they are electronically operated and are closed, can you pass inspection with them installed? I would think the answer is yes, since I believe the Boss 302 has cut-outs installed (aren't the side exhausts connected to cut-outs?).
BOSS doesn't have cutouts, the side exit pipes just have a restrictor plate with a small hole in it to let some sound out.

There is a company that makes a cutout valve that bolts into the BOSS side pipe to allow you to open and close the flow.

As to passing inspection in Texas, so long as the cutouts are closed and not leaking exhaust under the car I don't see why it wouldn't pass inspection.
Old 5/13/13, 04:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed a sound tube for about two weeks. The novilty wore off by then. I soon purchased a set of GT500 axle backs, a CAI/tuner kit, and those three combined woke up the sound a whole lot more that the sound tube.

I hope the person I sold the sound tube is enjoying it. And if you want to hear the roar of your intake, skip the sound tube and cut off the sound "muffler" located on the intake tube itself. Fiberglass the opening after you cut it off and then repaint the intake tube. It will cound just like a CAI that eliminates the need for a sound tube.

Last edited by Bucko; 5/14/13 at 04:02 AM.
Old 5/13/13, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
No...
Old 5/15/13, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

The fugly tapeworm tube was removed from my pony today. I found the "Help brand" 1 1/2" rubber plug for Ford (P/N 42098) at my local O'Reilly Automotive and it filled the firewall hole perfectly. I rummaged through my parts bins and found a heavy plastic axle cap off an old MTD mower, I once owned, and it snap-fit the CAI pipe securely. Perfect Assembly! I don't miss the sound tube at all and the engine bay looks much cleaner than before. I'm now looking forward to the Flowmaster Outlaw mod. My spirited steed is too quiet.
Old 5/16/13, 05:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
The fugly tapeworm tube was removed from my pony today. I found the "Help brand" 1 1/2" rubber plug for Ford (P/N 42098) at my local O'Reilly Automotive and it filled the firewall hole perfectly. I rummaged through my parts bins and found a heavy plastic axle cap off an old MTD mower, I once owned, and it snap-fit the CAI pipe securely. Perfect Assembly! I don't miss the sound tube at all and the engine bay looks much cleaner than before. I'm now looking forward to the Flowmaster Outlaw mod. My spirited steed is too quiet.
You had a sound tube on your V6 from the factory???? Did you buy it (Mustang) used? I don't think Ford installed a sound tube on the V6....going by your avatar.
Old 5/16/13, 08:10 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
You had a sound tube on your V6 from the factory???? Did you buy it (Mustang) used? I don't think Ford installed a sound tube on the V6....going by your avatar.

No, V6 cars never came with the tube. I was the first person to ever install a GT sound tube on a V6 car, installed it on my 2012. I liked it, sounded great, closest any V6 car will ever get to sounding like a V8...inside the car...

Old 5/16/13, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Pay no attention to the "V-6 Member". That's a post count progression thang. It would be like me asking, "Bucko, are you a Mach 1 owner?" Anyway, I have a '14 GT 5.0, as stated in my signature below.
Old 5/17/13, 03:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
No, V6 cars never came with the tube. I was the first person to ever install a GT sound tube on a V6 car, installed it on my 2012. I liked it, sounded great, closest any V6 car will ever get to sounding like a V8...inside the car...

Mustang GT Induction Sound Tube Installation On My 2012 Mustang 3.7 V6 - YouTube
Yes, it was this video that you posted on another site that had me try it. I liked it for about two weeks, then I installed a CAI/tuner kit. No more need for a sound tube with the latter.

And yes, I forgot about the post count title thing below our site name. Sorry about that. Must make you GT owners post like mad to remove the V6 counter thing from your name!
Old 5/17/13, 06:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Sound doesn't travel in only one direction from a source; just like you can hear a flute while standing on the opposite side of the person playing it from the instrument, the sound of combustion carries through the intake as well. Explosions aren't exactly quiet.

If the person likes the sound of their engine and the sound tube provides that, why does it get on others' nerves? Seems to me it's more cost-effective than changing out the axle-backs simply to hear a different or louder exhaust note. That's pretty expensive for a one-note instrument. The sound tube--at least for some--accomplishes this with no expense on the part of the owner.
My car is loud enough for people to hear mine through their sound tubes