Sponsored By:

Rear differenical tube leak question

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/18, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear differenical tube leak question

Hello all,

Opinions needed!

I have a 2013 V6 conv and 2 years ago had a 3.55 gear Ford racing axle installed. I recently took my car to the dealership for the air bag recall, and while it was in, asked them to do inspection of the car.

I was told that the driver rear axle tube is leaking between the tube and differential housing. When asked if it can be fixed, the service technician told me NO and said the entire axle needs to be replaced! (I actually have that in writing.)

I don't know much about rear ends, so I asked him if the tube can be replaced and he said no because it's welded all together. He said the only fix is to replace the entire axle, and because it's leaking so bad, he doesn't recommend driving it. Is the technician right? Do I really need to replace the entire axle?

I did some research and it looks like it's a common problem that can be solved by installing catch cans and changing the differential cover.

Thoughts?
Thank you for your input.
Old 7/19/18, 07:18 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
The axle tubes are pressed into the housing not welded. I am not sure if there is a way to stop leaks other than actually welding them. This should be done by an experienced shop with a holding fixture to ensure the axle remains straight. Catch cans are a fix for leaking vents.
Old 7/20/18, 03:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Try getting the updated vent tube since the rattle cap dumps the oil right where the service writer is telling the axle tube is leaking.

8.8 Vent AR3Z-4A058-B
Old 7/20/18, 08:53 AM

Thank you guys,

any chance you could post a link to that updated vent tube? sorry I do not know much about rear ends.... will take the car to my mechanic today too and see what he says

thank you again
Old 7/20/18, 04:59 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Like Siber said the common leak is the axle vent and can be worse if the differential is overfilled. This leak can be remedied with a catch can or relocating the vent to a higher point on the car. Be careful with the factory turkey baster bulb fix as it tends to melt on the exhaust if you are lowered or have larger diameter aftermarket pipes.

I would start by cleaning off the rear axle with some break cleaner/degreaser and drive it some and keep an eye on it to determine if the leak is the vent or where the axle tube is pressed into the differential housing. If it is overflow from the vent it can be remedied quite easily.
Old 7/20/18, 05:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Instead of that weird rubber and plastic contraption Ford came up with, why couldn't you use a short length of metal pipe threaded into the differential and a threaded coupler to attach the factory vent to the top of the pipe?
Old 7/20/18, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
do you have a pic? the vent everyone's talking about is on the passenger side, if I read your OP right, the leak is coming from the driver's side. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's the axle vent
Old 7/20/18, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
do you have a pic? the vent everyone's talking about is on the passenger side, if I read your OP right, the leak is coming from the driver's side. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's the axle vent
I know that my vent is on the left/drivers side.

Old 7/20/18, 06:56 PM

Guys,
I am losing my mind here…. Bear with me.
3 days before I took my car to the dealership me and my wife went for a little get away weekend and we drove over 1000 miles. Then I took the car to the dealership and few hours they called me and told me about the leak.

Everybody is talking about the vent tube and it’s a major problem with oil overloading (driver side in Ford Racing axle). So per your suggestions I lifted the car and started cleaning the oil but then I have noticed something strange. There is something missing.

What I have is a hole where the vent tube should be. And I painted that axle black 2 years ago myself. Its blowing my mind, I don’t know what to think about it. Not to accuse anybody but how can a certified technician tell me I need an entire axle replaced and not see that crucial part of it is missing?
Attached Images   
Old 7/20/18, 08:45 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
The vent on the 2011-2014 cars is on the drivers side. It is the first place I would look for a leak.
Old 7/20/18, 08:47 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by drukkosz
Guys,
I am losing my mind here…. Bear with me.
3 days before I took my car to the dealership me and my wife went for a little get away weekend and we drove over 1000 miles. Then I took the car to the dealership and few hours they called me and told me about the leak.

Everybody is talking about the vent tube and it’s a major problem with oil overloading (driver side in Ford Racing axle). So per your suggestions I lifted the car and started cleaning the oil but then I have noticed something strange. There is something missing.

What I have is a hole where the vent tube should be. And I painted that axle black 2 years ago myself. Its blowing my mind, I don’t know what to think about it. Not to accuse anybody but how can a certified technician tell me I need an entire axle replaced and not see that crucial part of it is missing?
It looks like you found your problem. I would clean it up and address the missing event, then keep an eye on it to see if you still have a leak. There are a lot of shady technicians out there. This isn't something that should have been missed.
Old 7/20/18, 08:50 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Instead of that weird rubber and plastic contraption Ford came up with, why couldn't you use a short length of metal pipe threaded into the differential and a threaded coupler to attach the factory vent to the top of the pipe?
There isn't enough clearance for a rigid pipe. You could put in a threaded elbow and run a rubber line to a higher point an put the vent up higher. On lowered cars with larger exhaust pipes the elbow may contact the exhaust. I had to plug the fitting where the vent was and vent mine through the differential cover to keep the elbow from contacting my pipes.

Last edited by EF1; 7/20/18 at 09:40 PM.
Old 7/21/18, 03:50 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The picture shows it was removed 'after' you painted the tubes. I wouldn't trust the dealer your using
Old 7/22/18, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine any mechanic, much less a dealer mechanic who should be well acquainted with Ford rear axle assemblies not seeing that the factory vent was missing and causing the oil leak. Actually most other makes of rear axles have a vent in this location as well. In any case I would either replace it with a stock one or with some other replacement. The one shown in the photos above has been replaced by a different one. I am pretty sure it's part number DR3Z*4022*a. I have one on my car and it works quite well. As stated previously the tubes are a press fit, but they are also plug welded. Some people have them seam welded for extra strength.
Old 7/22/18, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original axle vent on my '11 GT was replaced by Ford with the newer bulb type under a TSB when it was leaking a few drops.

Last edited by ddtmoto; 7/22/18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 7/23/18, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Here is what you need:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rea...2014/p/HW3281/
Old 7/23/18, 08:26 AM

Yes I have purchased one already. I just dont understand how did that happen. What is the chance of that screw backing out itself?

I still don't understand how a certified technician could have missed that and his recommendation was an entire axle replacement
Old 7/23/18, 09:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by drukkosz
Yes I have purchased one already. I just dont understand how did that happen. What is the chance of that screw backing out itself?

I still don't understand how a certified technician could have missed that
and his recommendation was an entire axle replacement
I'm not sure how a supposedly trained Tech could miss that. But, I would surely be asking the Service Manager. The Tech is either incompetent, or was hoping you would buy into his crap. Or, it's the practice of that service department to screw their customers. Myself, I would want to know. Keep us posted.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/23/18 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
drukkosz (7/23/18)
Old 7/23/18, 09:57 AM

I am actually composing an email to a General Manager of that Dealership, as well as Service Manager. I am furious. Do you guys know if there is any Ford representative here? I would love to hear their opinion.

Thanks, will keep you updated......
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (7/24/18)
Old 7/23/18, 10:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
No, Ford left this site just as the S550 came out.

Quick Reply: Rear differenical tube leak question