Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it realistic to expect a completely rattle free car?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/10, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I actually have a couple small rattles in the Civic Si but I can sort of accept them since I bought it cheap this summer and it's an 11 year old car. I had the back seat totally out of the car today chasing a noise in the side panel trim.

I'm a little crazy when it comes to rattles & squeaks. Maybe I'll talk to the Ford service manager before I commit. I've got a 2010 GMC base model pickup and there was a rattle in the seat. I told the service writer that I'd pay the technician a $50 tip if he could fix it even though it was a warranty job. He fixed it and I paid up. It was totally worth it to me.

If I get the car I'll put up some pics.
Old 12/12/10, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
My 2010 is rattle-free at 16K miles, I drive a lot of bumpy back roads but nothing really terrible.

It does have some suspension noise over hard bumps but nothing I would call a "rattle" and I am pretty **** about stuff like that.

The rear seat belts will make some noise if you don't buckle them but that doesn't count.
Old 12/12/10, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

i'd be worried if my stang stopped rattling
Old 12/13/10, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2011 GT, but I am having the unfortunate experience of being irritated by a couple rattles. I will say that I am hyper-sensitive when it comes to the fit and finish of things, and my better-half agrees. So don't think my car/I am representative of all 2011s; and I do have a base model.

When I get up to about 70-80, I get a metallic sounding rattle from driver's side air vent/where the window meets the door up front. Took my car into the dealer to get it checked out, and what do you know - it disappeared on the test drive with the mechanic.

It's gotten much colder around here, and I've noticed a rattle from the glove box that happens only when I hit bumps at a specific frequency, but when it does rattle it is loud and irritating.

Also with the cold, there is a 'rubbing' sound coming from where the window meets the door sill, on the drivers side, in the back.

Also, the passenger side head rest makes a constant but relatively quiet noise when nobody is sitting in it and I'm driving. I also have to buckle the rear seat belts, because if I don't, they make noise too.

Not related to rattles, but does anybody else's base model passenger side air-bag panel look like it's slightly out of place (there is an asymmetric gap between the air bag panel and the dash panel)?

Anyways, the rattles irritate me much less when I get on the gas, and of course I can use the stereo to drown out noise, but I think I'll just keep going to the dealer in hopes of getting everything squared away.
Old 12/13/10, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would bet that even a Rolls-Royce would have a rattle or two after 50,000 miles of rough roads. I don't think there's any way to get around it.
Old 12/13/10, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a new Mustang to be rattle free, and if you're lucky it may even be rattle free several years later, but in the real pothole ridden world, daily driving it in temperature extremes from 100°+ in the summer to below 0° in the winter, things are going to loosen up eventually and odds are there will be some creaks or rattles over time.

My '08 GT was pretty much rattle free until I started doing suspension modifications, but with stiffer springs, Konis adjusted up from the softest setting, rod-end swaybar links, bigger swaybars, and wider/stiffer/stickier tires, I do hear some rattles on occasion when the radio is turned off. I have tracked down a few of them (like the interior door handle backing plates), but I can live with a small increase in NVH for the improvements in handling.
Old 12/13/10, 10:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The dash top creaks and squeaks near the base of the windshield. Temperature changes, speed bumps and rough road surfaces seem to affect it the most. One day I am going to try to remedy this with foam strips or something. I also fixed the interior door handle cup trims with a piece of soft side velcro to keep them from rattling. Other than that, no other problems with squeaks and rattles after just turning 40,000 miles last week.
Old 12/13/10, 10:18 PM
GT Member

I've got a 2010 Premium V6. And the only thing that rattles are my shakers. and that's because I usually have them up to or close to max volume.
Old 12/14/10, 02:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Shaker 1000 when bass is set to max with shaker on... rattles the hell out of the doors. And just about everything else...

I can't bump my tunes man...
Old 12/14/10, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
When I get up to about 70-80, I get a metallic sounding rattle from driver's side air vent/where the window meets the door up front. Took my car into the dealer to get it checked out, and what do you know - it disappeared on the test drive with the mechanic.

It's gotten much colder around here, and I've noticed a rattle from the glove box that happens only when I hit bumps at a specific frequency, but when it does rattle it is loud and irritating.

Also with the cold, there is a 'rubbing' sound coming from where the window meets the door sill, on the drivers side, in the back.
I've noticed these too... it's super annoying- especially if they're all happening at once! ahhh!!
Old 12/14/10, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine has NO rattle after 9k miles. and i will guarantee that from the question, you will never drive yours as hard as i drive mine.
Old 12/27/10, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by orgchem

Also, the passenger side head rest makes a constant but relatively quiet noise when nobody is sitting in it and I'm driving. I also have to buckle the rear seat belts, because if I don't, they make noise too.
I am getting a rattle from somewhere around the passenger side. I suspect it is in the door. Its hard to nail it down but it happens at > 3000 RPM during acceleration. It is driving me nuts as I can't stand squeaks, rattles etc and won't rest until I find it Done it since I have had the car
Old 12/27/10, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I've got a 2010 Premium V6. And the only thing that rattles are my shakers. and that's because I usually have them up to or close to max volume.
This is the same issue I have with my 2011 and I had with my 2008. The doors rattle loudly because of the 8" speakers. I've had no other rattles to speak of so skip the Shaker.