Sponsored By:

Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/15, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Rattle

Hi y'all,

My 2014 GT (6000 mi) has developed a rattle and I can use any ideas you have.

Closest I can explain the sound is a captive screw that isn't secured, like the screw itself is rattling in its hole. It could be anything though.

It generally is not heard until driving for 5 minutes or so.

It's prominent on acceleration between 2k-3k and sounds like is in the passenger door. It can be heard on deceleration as well.

It's loudest if I sit in the back and put my ear up against the door seal where the lock lever is. I can't physically listen lower on the door.

it doesn't change volume if the window is down, but it's harder to hear because of road and exhaust noise.

It is difficult but not impossible to produce the noise while parked (6MT).

My only mods are Boss side exhaust, GT500 mufflers and TracKey.

I didn't lift the car but I went under the side and banged on the side exhaust and mufflers with a rubber mallet and don't hear the rattle. "BONG!"

The rattle is present regardless of which key is used.

My next move was to take the passenger door panel off and see if it persists. any other ideas?
Old 6/9/15, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
At first, I was thinking that the rattle you're hearing was inside the car. Is that not the case? or do you think the rattle is coming from outside?

I know that with my car, the "chrome" bezel around the spedo rattles sometimes, think it depends on the temperature. and also had a rattle with a key fob and some keys in a in pocket mounted on my visor. moving your head around in different directions, will change how you hear that rattle. try moving around and put your head above the steering wheel and see if the rattle is more prominent.
Old 6/9/15, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rattle

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
At first, I was thinking that the rattle you're hearing was inside the car. Is that not the case? or do you think the rattle is coming from outside?

I know that with my car, the "chrome" bezel around the spedo rattles sometimes, think it depends on the temperature. and also had a rattle with a key fob and some keys in a in pocket mounted on my visor. moving your head around in different directions, will change how you hear that rattle. try moving around and put your head above the steering wheel and see if the rattle is more prominent.
I suspect it's inside the car, but since I hear it loudest at the door latch area, I'm not 100% as sound could theoretically be traveling from outside the car through the door latch area.

You're right, I need to take out all the stuff from the glove box, console, trunk, etc first. then if it's still there (which I believe it will be) maybe try the door panel.

I've had my wife in the car as well and we took turns driving. We've each sat on the driver's seat, passenger seat, and I also sat in the rear passenger seat. Our consensus is the passenger side of the car, somewhere near the aft part of the door.

Edit: I should've mentioned this isn't the one in the dash that's probably the chrome bezel. I get that one too, but only when I go over bumps. I've been living with that one since day one.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 6/9/15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 6/9/15, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Rattle

My rear view mirror rattles when it starts put your hand on it just to check
Old 6/9/15, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I had a rattle inside the cabin when accelerating over 3000rpm. It sounded like it was coming from the dash, or behind the dash. It turned out to be the park brake lever release button. The rattle would stop when I touched it.

It's crazy how sound bounces around in these cars. Good luck!
Old 6/9/15, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You might check your rear seat belt retractor. The gear inside was was rattling against the casing.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle-20140914_175433.jpg  
Old 6/9/15, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my 12 I had a small clip that was part of the locking mechanism rattle in both doors. I added a little foam tape when I took the door covers off to put the speakers in. I was bad because it's close to your ear. I have heard of others having the same issue. Haven't heard it since.
Old 6/9/15, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight

I think I have the same thing in my 11, but its the bezel on the drivers side AC vent. Drives me nuts sometimes.
Old 6/9/15, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Rattle

Check your mirror I tried everything sounded like it was the dash but it was the rear view mirror
Old 6/9/15, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
You might check your rear seat belt retractor. The gear inside was was rattling against the casing.
Were you able to fix this? Please share how you did it. I think I have this issue, and it is very irritating.

Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
Check your mirror I tried everything sounded like it was the dash but it was the rear view mirror
To fix I took a plumbing O ring and wedged between the windshield and the plastic housing, and it was enough to stop the rattle.
Old 6/9/15, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Rattle

Thanks will try that it
Old 6/10/15, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar rattle/buzzing sound coming from the passenger door area as well. Funny thing though, mine only buzzes when the AC is on. If the AC is turned off, and only the vent is on, the rattle/buzzing goes away.

Any thoughts?
Old 6/10/15, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I suspect it's inside the car, but since I hear it loudest at the door latch area, I'm not 100% as sound could theoretically be traveling from outside the car through the door latch area.

You're right, I need to take out all the stuff from the glove box, console, trunk, etc first. then if it's still there (which I believe it will be) maybe try the door panel.

I've had my wife in the car as well and we took turns driving. We've each sat on the driver's seat, passenger seat, and I also sat in the rear passenger seat. Our consensus is the passenger side of the car, somewhere near the aft part of the door.

Edit: I should've mentioned this isn't the one in the dash that's probably the chrome bezel. I get that one too, but only when I go over bumps. I've been living with that one since day one.

That's likely your best bet. clear out all of the little things you have in your center console and glove box and anywhere else you may have. sound reflection is crazy and can bounce around inside the cabin in the car and drive us nuts.

the other thing you could try is to have someone drive your car and you the passenger and see if you can get a different perspective on that rattle. it'll give you a change to feel up your car and see if you can locate the rattle. it may even help to take a drive in the back as well.

Rattles drive me crazy as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 6/15/15, 02:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rattle

Still no luck, here are some updates.

First JoeMidnight and the dashboard, I can't get it to stop by touching any part of the dashboard. Also there's something deeper in the dashboard making noise when I hit bumps, I'll tackle that later.

Originally Posted by 12GTCS
In my 12 I had a small clip that was part of the locking mechanism rattle in both doors. I added a little foam tape when I took the door covers off to put the speakers in. I was bad because it's close to your ear. I have heard of others having the same issue. Haven't heard it since.
We took the passenger door panel off and the volume did not increase, nor were we A able to locate the rattle by touching various parts of the door.

My rear view mirror rattles when it starts put your hand on it just to check
This is an easy one, holding the rear view mirror did not stop the noise.

Originally Posted by Blown CS
I couldn't figure out how to access this. Any tips?

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I had a rattle inside the cabin when accelerating over 3000rpm. It sounded like it was coming from the dash, or behind the dash. It turned out to be the park brake lever release button. The rattle would stop when I touched it.

It's crazy how sound bounces around in these cars. Good luck!
This was also easy to check. No luck.

I also checked the rocker panel as the rear seemed to be prone to vibration. I pushed in the aft retention clips so they were tight, drove around until I heard the noise then checked the rockers -- still tight.

I also checked my oil, it's in the hatched area of the dipstick, so it's not low oil.

Thanks for your ideas so far! Let me know if you think of anything else.
Old 6/22/15, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rattle

Update for you all...

Last night I got under the car and re-torqued all of the exhaust fasteners and the "rattle" went away.

Look for a new post about how to keep the exhaust fasteners from loosening...