Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rant: buying replacement tires for BBP car--- PAIN IN THE BUTT

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/14, 04:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010GBGT
Here are some pics. At work now so this is the best I could do. Suspension going on when the weather warms up, asap. Feakin 4x4...lol
2010GBGT,
I hear you on the ride height thing... but it's really not much worse than stock. The rest of your car looks superb!!!
Old 3/12/14, 04:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I think you're right. 285 is more popular.

In terms of wheels I'm pretty set on these:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...9x95-0513.html

I love the style, I like the Charcoal finish (better for hiding brake dust) and it's not too expensive. I'd rather not scratch the $250 Brembo wheels.
The charcoal should look perfect with your Sterling Grey paint...keep us posted!
Old 3/12/14, 04:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
2010GBGT, I hear you on the ride height thing... but it's really not much worse than stock. The rest of your car looks superb!!!
Thanks!
Old 3/12/14, 05:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by figit
MRGTX this is exactly why I got super frustrated and decided to relegate my 19x9 TP wheels to winter duty. It just didn't make sense for me to spend that much on half a$$ tires when I wanted better. I sold the stock pirellis on craigslist for $300 and picked up some thin blizzaks for the stock wheels for just under $600. So for $300 total I had a set of dedicated winter wheels & tires.

I know you didn't mention being in the market for some wheels but if your looking at nearly 1k for a decent set for the 19x9s it might be worth considering getting a package deal for wheels and tires somewhere for under $1,500 with 285s on the rear. AM has staggered setups like that for under $1,500 but the wheels themselves weigh a ton. I ordered a square setup of SSR GTV-01 19x9.5 wheels (24lbs.) from Jay & Dan at hypermotive.

I'm waiting on those now. I'm going with 285/35s all the way around so I can rotate them easily after track events. The initial outlay was more than I anticipated spending but I just couldn't stomach sacrificing on tires while still having to throw 800 to 1k at the stock wheels. I noticed your in CT so the above route would yield you what your going for while still having a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires.
I definitely hear you on not wanting to spend a ton of cash on halfa$$ tire selection.

That's a good point about the tire packages. 285-35-19 RE-11 tires, mounted (aka squeezed) onto my 19x9 BBP wheels will run me $1300 mounted/balanced...for not much more, there may be a package deal. I will look into that...but I see right away that all the ones I like are a lot more cash. AM offers package deals with the RTR wheels for $2000+. The "fake" RTRs look ok but they're not quite right to my eye. I will keep looking... Thanks for the suggestion!

Those SSR GTV-01 look astoundingly cool...PLEASE post up pics so we can drool on them. They're also way outside of my budget, otherwise, I'd be all over those. SSR has always offered styles that fit what I'm looking for, even back when I was autocrossing my Miata, forged SSRs were the holy grail. So... yeah... good choice!

As for CT- my "snow tires" are on my old Jeep. I really like the XJ but honestly, I sacrifice a bit of fun, comfort, style and fuel economy just to keep the Mustang clean. As I'm sure you have noticed, this has been a nasty long winter I haven't driven my Mustang since November!

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/12/14 at 05:06 AM.
Old 3/12/14, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I definitely hear you on not wanting to spend a ton of cash on halfa$$ tire selection.

That's a good point about the tire packages. 285-35-19 RE-11 tires, mounted (aka squeezed) onto my 19x9 BBP wheels will run me $1300 mounted/balanced...for not much more, there may be a package deal. I will look into that...but I see right away that all the ones I like are a lot more cash. AM offers package deals with the RTR wheels for $2000+. The "fake" RTRs look ok but they're not quite right to my eye. I will keep looking... Thanks for the suggestion!

Those SSR GTV-01 look astoundingly cool...PLEASE post up pics so we can drool on them. They're also way outside of my budget, otherwise, I'd be all over those. SSR has always offered styles that fit what I'm looking for, even back when I was autocrossing my Miata, forged SSRs were the holy grail. So... yeah... good choice!

As for CT- my "snow tires" are on my old Jeep. I really like the XJ but honestly, I sacrifice a bit of fun, comfort, style and fuel economy just to keep the Mustang clean. As I'm sure you have noticed, this has been a nasty long winter I haven't driven my Mustang since November!
Haha, we've got a TJ and we swore that we wouldn't drive the mustang (or my Wife's BRZ) during the winter because it's absolutely silly considering our TJ is perfectly equipped for it. Well, that lasted about 8 weeks before we cracked and got blizzaks on both her and my car and threw 100lbs of home-depot play-sand in the trunks haha. We just couldn't stand not driving them. I'm hyper OCD about keeping them clean and usually only wash the cars via double-bucket technique but we kind of lucked out and found a touch-less/pressure wash based drive through up the street that also sprays the undercarriage. At the end of each week both of us run our cars through it. The result is nowhere near what I'd do myself during warmer months but at least the salt/brine is washed away.

Will do on the SSR pics!
Old 3/12/14, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

OP - I just went through the same type of dilemma with my '08 Bullitt. The stock 235/50/18's are way too skinny looking, but the Bullitt only has 8.5" wheels. I debated going with 275/40/18's for the rear, but like you said, they look too small and aren't really meant to go on that size wheel. I ended up going with BFG Sport Comp 2's in 255/45/18 for all 4 corners. They were the widest looking 255 tire I could find, plus the tires had great reviews and really look like a muscle car tire. You might want to look into the BFG's. They run much wider than the stock Pirelli's, so you might like them in a 255.

Name:  IMG_1184.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  103.6 KB

Last edited by mrp5150; 3/12/14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 3/12/14, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by figit
Haha, we've got a TJ and we swore that we wouldn't drive the mustang (or my Wife's BRZ) during the winter because it's absolutely silly considering our TJ is perfectly equipped for it. Well, that lasted about 8 weeks before we cracked and got blizzaks on both her and my car and threw 100lbs of home-depot play-sand in the trunks haha. We just couldn't stand not driving them. I'm hyper OCD about keeping them clean and usually only wash the cars via double-bucket technique but we kind of lucked out and found a touch-less/pressure wash based drive through up the street that also sprays the undercarriage. At the end of each week both of us run our cars through it. The result is nowhere near what I'd do myself during warmer months but at least the salt/brine is washed away.

Will do on the SSR pics!
That's a hell of a garage! BR-Zs are awesome cars... sounds like you found the right woman!

I'm sure you guys will be fine with frequent/touchless washing...I would do the same but I'm just overprotective and paranoid.

Originally Posted by mrp5150
OP - I just went through the same type of dilemma with my '08 Bullitt. The stock 235/50/18's are way too skinny looking, but the Bullitt only has 8.5" wheels. I debated going with 275/40/18's for the rear, but like you said, they look too small and aren't really meant to go on that size wheel. I ended up going with BFG Sport Comp 2's in 255/45/18 for all 4 corners. They were the widest looking 255 tire I could find, plus the tires had great reviews and really look like a muscle car tire. You might want to look into the BFG's. They run much wider than the stock Pirelli's, so you might like them in a 255.

That's a good suggestion. Thanks... I have heard good things about the BFG Sport Comp 2....I have been running BFGs on my Mopar forever (mostly due to lack of performance choices in the 15" range ) but they have been a good bang:buck.

In your case, those gorgeous 18" Bullitt wheels are a unique/special feature of your car. I think you did the right thing optimizing your tire choice for those wheels.
Old 3/12/14, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I love the OEM Bullitt wheels. I just recently discovered a place near LA that does wheel widening, so when I have more free money I might get the rear wheels widened so they can fit a 275 or 285 comfortably. You might consider doing that if you really like your Brembo wheels. I think the place I found charges $150 per wheel. Doesn't seem too bad if you really love your wheels, which I do!