2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is a radar detector a good investment?

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/10, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a radar detector a good investment?

Or they're just worthless against the new radar and laser guns?
I've been searching around and found all kinds of opinions about it, but in case I decide to buy one it seems like it's better to spend a little more in one of the best detectors.
Old 6/3/10, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do you speed a lot?

I remember some time ago C&D did a huge test of radar detectors, and the Valentine One was leaps and bounds ahead of most; so much so to warrant the added cost. But it's been a long time since that article. Not sure how they stack up against each other these days.
Old 6/3/10, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had a passport 8500 for 4 years now and I've had no problems. The only reason I got one is because motorcycle cops like to hang out in EVERY corner in the city I live in and recently it has become ridiculous. You get what you pay for though, so if you buy a 40 dollar radar don't expect it to go off until after you've already been asked to pull over
Old 6/3/10, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a Belltronics Vector995 and it's earned it's money back ten times now. In flat Texas I usually get about a 1.25 mile range (when their radar is on of course). It's worthless if they surprise you.
Old 6/3/10, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Valentine 1 for many, many years, no tickets.

Old 6/3/10, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've also been using the Passport 8500 for years now, it's great to have and I do find it very helpful. However, if there is a cop actually using laser, I've always heard if the radar detector picks up on that they already know your speed. Never had a cop around here actually use it though.
Old 6/3/10, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by The Reverend
Valentine 1 for many, many years, no tickets.

+1 I love my Belltronics but I've heard great reviews about Valentine 1.
Old 6/3/10, 09:07 AM

I've never heard a bad thing about the Valentine 1. I've been looking into getting one.
Old 6/3/10, 09:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going to go with one, The Passport 8500 X50 or higher, The Beltronics 995, or the V1 are the way to go. FYI, Beltronics and Passport use the same internals, but the Beltronics will be a bit cheaper.

Also, I recommend looking into a Blendmount and the hardwire kit for them. You can nicely integrate it and have it in a functional spot so you're not getting nailed and it's not a theft magnet either.
Old 6/3/10, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes.
Old 6/3/10, 10:44 AM
GTR Member

Do you really need to go so fast that you need a radar detector?

They are useless against instant-on radar guns unless you get the residual signal from the cop targetting the car ahead of you.

I won't say that I never speed but I generally keep it to a max of 5 over the limit and unless you are doing something stupid then most cops won't waste their time on you.

I haven't had a speeding ticket since the national speed limit was 55 and haven't used a radar detector.

Also, some cops have radar detector detectors, so they know you have one and will look more closely at you because of it.

Slow down a little and save your money.
Old 6/3/10, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

i agree slowing down is your best bet. but if no one thinks certain cops dont hold a grudge agaist certain cars or motorcycle your wrong. i got a ticket for 59 in a 55 when i owned my last stang and my brother had to go to court for ONE mile over the limit on his zx10. yes they threw it out but he still had to take off work to go to court.

Last edited by trick25; 6/3/10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 6/3/10, 11:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've gotten paid a total of $90 in traffic tickets in the 10 years I've been driving. I wont get one unless I think its going to save me money.

....and in my experience.... the people I know that have radar detectors get tickets all the time despite them.
Old 6/3/10, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Do you really need to go so fast that you need a radar detector?

They are useless against instant-on radar guns unless you get the residual signal from the cop targetting the car ahead of you.

I won't say that I never speed but I generally keep it to a max of 5 over the limit and unless you are doing something stupid then most cops won't waste their time on you.

I haven't had a speeding ticket since the national speed limit was 55 and haven't used a radar detector.

Also, some cops have radar detector detectors, so they know you have one and will look more closely at you because of it.

Slow down a little and save your money.
True, they are almost useless for" instant-on" radar guns, and they are all going to them. They are a money MAKER for them, as states need to make up tax revenue loss.
Better to learn where bad areas are that still use the old guns.
Ive been pulled over twice by Fl. troopers using instant on guns in the last two months!
Old 6/3/10, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are there radar detector detectors? I live in Virginia.
Old 6/3/10, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

I would never get one again. Maybe I just had a bad experience with mine years ago but everytime I passed a bank or supermarket it would beep like crazy...
Old 6/3/10, 12:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
....and in my experience.... the people I know that have radar detectors get tickets all the time despite them.
That's because people get a false sense of security with them.
Old 6/3/10, 12:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
They have them in every state.
Old 6/3/10, 12:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerstars
ha... I drove through VA last month... the first three road signs I see are the speed limit slowing to 65 from 70 in WV, a sign that said "Radar detectors illegal"... and another that said, "speed monitored by air and land" or something like that... I was like..."I've only been in Virginia for 2 miles and I already hate it here!"

Last edited by codeman94; 6/3/10 at 12:21 PM.
Old 6/3/10, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GJM20115.0
True, they are almost useless for" instant-on" radar guns, and they are all going to them. They are a money MAKER for them, as states need to make up tax revenue loss.
Better to learn where bad areas are that still use the old guns.
Ive been pulled over twice by Fl. troopers using instant on guns in the last two months!
In my case--both times, the state trooper was driving towards me. They can pinpoint you even in a group of cars. They pull the trigger (instant on) and their gun automatically calculates his speed (and yours) .. and your HAD.

Only way to argue (in court) is to dispute when/how his gun was calculated.

Quick Reply: Is a radar detector a good investment?