2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Power Steering Fault after lowering spring install

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/15, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 Mustang GT was lowered by a mechanic with eibach pro kit springs, as soon as I started the car to take it for a test drive the message center displays "Power Steering Fault" it takes allot of effort to move the steering wheel. This issue was never present before the car was lowered. The mechanic scanned the computer and no codes came up he told me that the steering angle sensor needs to be calibrated and that I would need to take it to the ford dealership where they have the tools to do that. Would a hand held tuner like bama or SCT fix it?

I did allot of research before deciding to lower the car and did not read of anyone else having this issue from lowering the car. Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be caused by changing the suspension geometry?
Old 4/8/15, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
You're sure nothing was damaged during the removal or installation of the springs?? Have you taken a look under the front?
Old 4/8/15, 01:04 PM

It happened this morning, I just left the car at the shop to see if they can find the issue. I will personally inspect it tomorrow morning, but I am not mechanically inclined so I don't really no what to check for. Maybe they lifted the car in the wrong spot with the jack?
Old 4/8/15, 04:46 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
dunno what kind of feedback on the steering servo is used, doubt its a optical encoder, but as cheap as they are nowadays, who knows...
anyways, hope nothing damaged from pounding on a tierod end or ujoint- often a LOT of shock needs applied before they pop loose...never thought about the electric steering before- personally, glad mines still hydraulic
I really think if money wasnt the driving force of everything, the best power steering would be electric powered pump on a hydraulic assist- I work as a CNC rebuild/retrofit guy, have seen enough servo problems I'd rather still not have one helping me steer...hydraulics are pretty much 'beyond mature' technology, and pretty dead reliable. seriously wonder about a 'virus' or typo somewhere in the logic could say 'Right turn Clyde' on its own...
Old 4/8/15, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The steering angle sensor calibration is often stored in the EEPROM of the Electric Power Assist Steering unit or EPAS. The hand held tuners won't be able to do anything about that. Hand held may be able to read the codes if they can ping the EPAS. Take it in to a dealer.
Old 4/8/15, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
dunno what kind of feedback on the steering servo is used, doubt its a optical encoder, but as cheap as they are nowadays, who knows...
anyways, hope nothing damaged from pounding on a tierod end or ujoint- often a LOT of shock needs applied before they pop loose...never thought about the electric steering before- personally, glad mines still hydraulic
I really think if money wasnt the driving force of everything, the best power steering would be electric powered pump on a hydraulic assist- I work as a CNC rebuild/retrofit guy, have seen enough servo problems I'd rather still not have one helping me steer...hydraulics are pretty much 'beyond mature' technology, and pretty dead reliable. seriously wonder about a 'virus' or typo somewhere in the logic could say 'Right turn Clyde' on its own...
I hear you. Everhing is going servo assist. It's more fuel efficient to run off an electric source than to have the parasitic drag of the pump on the motor, so all manufacturers are going the electric route now to get a few extra MPGs. Also it gives you some cool features like variable assist, which allows the driver to pick comfort, normal or sport feel to the steering. Sport being less assist.

In this case the system detected some failure and went into safe mode of not doing any assist. And if you're worried about software hacks, stay away from Tesla. They can flash updates to any module in the car over the air, and it would install while your car is parked. You don't even have to be in it.
Old 4/9/15, 05:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

Tesla. They can flash updates to any module in the car over the air, and it would install while your car is parked. You don't even have to be in it.

That's both, amazing and scary at the same time.
Old 4/11/15, 10:19 AM

I took the car to Pep Boys for an alignment and to have them scan the computer, they would not align the car because of the fault code, they pulled code U3000 from the computer. Apparently that code is triggered when there is no communication between the steering rack and the control module. I have an appointment with the Ford dealer this Monday.
Old 4/11/15, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Sounds like a wire was left unplugged, causing the issue. Perhaps something was removed for easier access and they just forgot.
Old 4/11/15, 01:50 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I just changed my springs a few days ago and changing the springs have nothing to do with the steering rack. Just saying...............