2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
View Poll Results: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not
I have/had a 2011/12 6spd with Notchy/Rough/Grinding etc.
36.14%
I never had ANY issues with my 6 spd 2011/12
63.86%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/11, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSIMANIAC....

I'm not laughing at you...I really hope you get your car fixed. I think most people laugh at the direction that Matero is taking this issue. You just have to remember, there are multiple sides to this issue. If it were me, I would be all over the Ford dealer. I would not wait for a fix. If no fix came out, there are plenty of law firms that will be glad to help you with the lemon law.

As far as the poll goes, I tried to vote twice in the one at AFM. I was chastised by Jorbit for asking him why I could not. Now, I do own 2 cars why don't I get 2 votes? That fact alone makes the data invalid in my opinion. No, I won't vote in the one that you posted here. Maybe, that will help your numbers somewhat.
Old 5/20/11, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
SSIMANIAC....

I'm not laughing at you...I really hope you get your car fixed. I think most people laugh at the direction that Matero is taking this issue. You just have to remember, there are multiple sides to this issue. If it were me, I would be all over the Ford dealer. I would not wait for a fix. If no fix came out, there are plenty of law firms that will be glad to help you with the lemon law.

As far as the poll goes, I tried to vote twice in the one at AFM. I was chastised by Jorbit for asking him why I could not. Now, I do own 2 cars why don't I get 2 votes? That fact alone makes the data invalid in my opinion. No, I won't vote in the one that you posted here. Maybe, that will help your numbers somewhat.
No worries, I got no problems with anyone. I already had my transmission changed the first time. It broke down 4 hours after I bought it. That was a factory defect. However, the second one developed the infamous grind in cold which has carried over now. I had the dealer try and fix it 3 times. Now, I'm in a process for a lemon law. What I do wish, is that Ford does come out with a solution for this. I do love the car, and I want to drive it. Having these obstacles makes it hard to enjoy it. Ford has admitted that a certain number of vehicles is having issues, hence the TSB. But the TSB was a cover-up to buy Ford more time for those with more serious issues. What began as a cold shift has developed into annoying grind. The syncho's probably are all messed up.
Old 5/20/11, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FCMalie
I have agrred that some are having problems multiple times, and they are working on a fix. It can take a while to find out what is actually causing the problem, sucks but it's true. I'm just not exactly sure what you want Ford to do in the mean time... Give you some of your money back? Provide a replacement car while yours is in the shop? What exactly do you want them to do other than continue working on a fix? By the way a replacement car is on the dealer for if your warranty covers one or not, thats not a Ford thing. (Someone actually said their sales person offered their car to them as a replacement because the dealer doesn't give them.)

You admit they are working on it, but apparently that isn't enough... What would be?
They had a year to solve it...
Old 5/20/11, 12:00 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Interesting. Someone "voted" 25 times within 55 seconds.
A TMS member can only vote once on any poll.
Old 5/20/11, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

They had a year to solve it...
Up to this point it might have been a year since they got the first complaint. That being said 1 complaint isn't going to get their attention just like any other company that produces this number of product. People seem to forget the 11 model wasn't even a full production year, add to that the fact that the 12 started production earlier than normal and you get probably much less than a year from the time the 11s started showing problems to the 12s being produced. Do you really think if Ford got 600+ complaints in even the first month of 11 production they would have kept pushing out cars? It could have been 2-3 months after start of sales before even the first person complained and that shortens the time they would have been looking into it even more. I understand that everyone wants a fix now, but it will take time. I don't know Ford's policy, but I'm sure it would take a certain number of complaints before they even start thinking its actually a design/QC error. No company sits down after one complaint and can figure out from there what is wrong with 100% certainty. If this fix is going to require a switch to a different trans, or major overhaul to the MT82's design you can bet they will test till 100% certain it will fix the problem because that is one expensive mistake if they replace them and it's still broke.

I just did a couple google searches to confirm, but the 2011 sales started in mid summer of last year. So technically the 2011 hasn't even been available for a full year and you are claiming they have had a year to fix the problem that probably wasn't found until months after sales started?

Last edited by FCMalie; 5/20/11 at 12:11 PM.
Old 5/20/11, 12:10 PM
Banned

Up to this point it might have been a year since they got the first complaint. That being said 1 complaint isn't going to get their attention just like any other company that produces this number of product. People seem to forget the 11 model wasn't even a full production year, add to that the fact that the 12 started production earlier than normal and you get probably much less than a year from the time the 11s started showing problems to the 12s being produced. Do you really think if Ford got 600+ complaints in even the first month of 11 production they would have kept pushing out cars? It could have been 2-3 months after start of sales before even the first person complained and that shortens the time they would have been looking into it even more. I understand that everyone wants a fix now, but it will take time. I don't know Ford's policy, but I'm sure it would take a certain number of complaints before they even start thinking its actually a design/QC error. No company sits down after one complaint and can figure out from there what is wrong with 100% certainty. If this fix is going to require a switch to a different trans, or major overhaul to the MT82's design you can bet they will test till 100% certain it will fix the problem because that is one expensive mistake if they replace them and it's still broke.
An official word would help restore the confidence. Customer reps throughout the US have reported multiple issues with the tranny. Ford engineers took my old tranny to examine it. Who knows what they been doing for a year. They went to China to cut costs. They're probably looking for more options to cut costs even further and avoid setbacks with the current problems. Who knows. Being quite isn't helping.

When ABC ran the story on BMW, BMW stepped up within hours and called a re-call. They fixed the problem. We are hoping for the same with Ford.
Old 5/20/11, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

An official word would help restore the confidence. Customer reps throughout the US have reported multiple issues with the tranny. Ford engineers took my old tranny to examine it. Who knows what they been doing for a year. They went to China to cut costs. They're probably looking for more options to cut costs even further and avoid setbacks with the current problems. Who knows. Being quite isn't helping.

When ABC ran the story on BMW, BMW stepped up within hours and called a re-call. They fixed the problem. We are hoping for the same with Ford.
Actually, Ford went to Germany for a transmission who then went to China for labor. Either way I'm not doubting there is a transmission issue, just it hasn't been as long as some people would like to believe.
Old 5/20/11, 12:16 PM
Banned

Actually, Ford went to Germany for a transmission who then went to China for labor. Either way I'm not doubting there is a transmission issue, just it hasn't been as long as some people would like to believe.
Trust me, having this car as a DD, driving around for a month feels like an eternity. We even have a member on this site that just purchased a 2012 and it whines.
Old 5/20/11, 12:19 PM
GT Member

The BMW issue was an inherent issue with ALL N54 engines. There were massive failure rates with the high pressure pumps replaced. So far, I have heard of 2 people, you and JMatero, having transmissions fail and get replaced. 2!!!!! I think it is comical that you guys compare failed turbos to notchy shifting.
Old 5/20/11, 12:20 PM
GT Member

Beautiful, now you're regurgitating the exact same crap spewed by jmatero.

Do you have any concept of how the news cycle works? You actually think BMW put a recall campaign together in a matter of hours as a result of some news story?

Let me explain to you how this actually happened:

BMW was probably already working on a recall campaign before the report was broadcast, maybe for weeks, maybe for months. Sure, I'm sure some owners were complaining to ABC and ABC probably had a source at BMW or NHTSA who was feeding them info as well.

So got wind of this somehow, and started putting a package together in advance. They probably shelved it until their source told them, "OK, the recall will be announced this week, on this day." ABC probably then made minor edits and scheduled the package the night before the official recall announcement was made. Making them look like regular heroes, right?

This was HARDLY a knee-jerk reaction by BMW. If you know ANYTHING about the way Germans do business, you'd know that their announcement had NOTHING to do with the ABC story.

But keep drinking Jmatero's kool aid, it must be delicious!
Old 5/20/11, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Trust me, having this car as a DD, driving around for a month feels like an eternity. We even have a member on this site that just purchased a 2012 and it whines.
Yea, I actually know him personally and worked with him out here for around 17 months or something. I talk to him on a fairly regular basis about his car as I pick mine up soon and will put about 4k miles on it the first month. Yes his trans whines, but that doesn't keep him from driving it how he wants to. Mine will be a DD as well, i think about a 60-70mile per day round trip but still am not overly worried about my trans. I won't even be in the same state as the dealer I origionally pick up my car from. I'm not going to let what I still consider to be the minority that are having problems ruin the experience of the car. I will enjoy it till it breaks and then take it to Ford to fix, if they can't fix it I will do it myself or find someone else that can.
Old 5/20/11, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
The BMW issue was an inherent issue with ALL N54 engines. There were massive failure rates with the high pressure pumps replaced. So far, I have heard of 2 people, you and JMatero, having transmissions fail and get replaced. 2!!!!! I think it is comical that you guys compare failed turbos to notchy shifting.
Thanks bro, I didn't know everyone had to report to you with failed tranny's and notchy shifting. I'll spread to word around to report to you instead of Ford.

And the issues aren't with notchy shifting. Get your facts straight. It's with gears grinding, gears popping out when engaged etc.
Old 5/20/11, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Thanks bro, I didn't know everyone had to report to you with failed tranny's and notchy shifting. I'll spread to word around to report to you instead of Ford.

And the issues aren't with notchy shifting. Get your facts straight. It's with gears grinding, gears popping our when engaged etc.
Then take "notchy shifting" out of your poll if that is not where the issues are!!! I have kept up with the AFM thread from the beginning. Why? Beacuse I have a mustang and I was curious. I won't look up the exact numbers, but only you, jmatero, and a handful (< 20) have had the issues you just mentioned. More than 90% of the posters in that thread have purely notchy shifting and whine. It is hard to get the facts straight when you keep changing them, lol.
Old 5/20/11, 12:33 PM
Banned

Then take "notchy shifting" out of your poll if that is not where the issues are!!! I have kept up with the AFM thread from the beginning. Why? Beacuse I have a mustang and I was curious. I won't look up the exact numbers, but only you, jmatero, and a handful (< 20) have had the issues you just mentioned. More than 90% of the posters in that thread have purely notchy shifting and whine. It is hard to get the facts straight when you keep changing them, lol.
Actually no, you're wrong. A lot of those members had rough shifting. Once the TSB was performed, it increased the notchy feel abnormaly. If you fallowed that thread, you would know that the new dual clutch fluid is much thinner which creates a whine. The whine, isn't normal. Here's a thread confirming it from a Ford engineer that drove the car.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...car-today.html
Old 5/20/11, 12:36 PM
GT Member

What the hell is "rough shifting", exactly? That to me is a brutally vague descriptor that can be applied to a lot of problems, or non-problems.

Is "rough shifting" notchiness? Grinding? Higher effort when cold? The car bucking because you suck at clutch modulation?

The phrase "rough shifting" should be banned from all Mustang forums because it is uselessly vague.
Old 5/20/11, 12:38 PM
Banned

Given that this is a new car, we don't know the consequences two years down the road, when most people are out of warranty. Then what? You'll pay the costs yourself?

You guys are pretty facetious. First you say it's driver error, abuse. Then when Stinger posts you praise how his abuse on the transmission has zero problems. Well, make up your mind. If his abused transmission isn't having issues, why would someone else that wasn't even abused to begin with (Or in your case calling it abuse problem)? It's a flaw in a certain number that was released. It affects a percentage we know nothing about. Ford won't release the numbers. Obviously they acknowledge the problem since the TSB is out and even more confirmations from Ford Reps. Denying or calling it user error is absurd.

I just want it fixed. I could care less about Jmatero or anyone else for that matter. I just want to play with my toy that I paid good money for. I'm getting tired and my patience is wearing out, obviously.
Old 5/20/11, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PolishAmericanMustang
What the hell is "rough shifting", exactly? That to me is a brutally vague descriptor that can be applied to a lot of problems, or non-problems.

Is "rough shifting" notchiness? Grinding? Higher effort when cold? The car bucking because you suck at clutch modulation?

The phrase "rough shifting" should be banned from all Mustang forums because it is uselessly vague.
WHY DON'T GET A FREAKING CAR FIRST AND DRIVE IT AROUND BEFORE YOU BUTT IN INTO EVERYTHING! AND NO, TEST DRIVING A CAR ISN'T REALLY OWNING AND IT DOESN'T QUALIFY YOU TO DIAGNOSE WHAT A ROUGH SHIFT IS.

I wish this board had an ignore/block feature. If you want more evidence what a rough grind is, I'm sure you can find someone in your area to test drive their car.
Old 5/20/11, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Actually no, you're wrong. A lot of those members had rough shifting. Once the TSB was performed, it increased the notchy feel abnormaly. If you fallowed that thread, you would know that the new dual clutch fluid is much thinner which creates a whine. The whine, isn't normal. Here's a thread confirming it from a Ford engineer that drove the car.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...car-today.html
I know it is thinner and creates whine IN SOME CASES. Some people report that the thinner fluid fixed their issues with no whine developing. And where was I wrong? It is a FACT that only a few have had failed transmissions that we know of. It is a FACT that the BMW N54 had numerous engine failures, engine failure > tranny notchiness and whining. It is also a FACT that most people in that thread have only complained of cold notchiness.

Also, I never even mentioned the TSB. Why you brought that up, IDK... In fact, right after you said I was wrong you then said "A lot of those members had rough shifting." That is excatly what I claimed!!!!!!! I swear, it is like arguing with a child...
Old 5/20/11, 12:48 PM
Banned

I know it is thinner and creates whine IN SOME CASES. Some people report that the thinner fluid fixed their issues with no whine developing. And where was I wrong? It is a FACT that only a few have had failed transmissions that we know of. It is a FACT that the BMW N54 had numerous engine failures, engine failure > tranny notchiness and whining. It is also a FACT that most people in that thread have only complained of cold notchiness.

Also, I never even mentioned the TSB. Why you brought that up, IDK... In fact, right after you said I was wrong you then said "A lot of those members had rough shifting." That is excatly what I claimed!!!!!!! I swear, it is like arguing with a child...

I don't understand what your argument is since it's so vague. Not just you, but everyone in disagreement with me. A problem is a problem and it needs correction. Put yourself in our shoes and see how you would feel if you were left in the dark. Exactly.
Old 5/20/11, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Let me hit you all with something interesting:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=21

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Conclusive proof that jmatero can't drive? That he has a mental condition or is a masochist who buys manual-transmission cars and then *****es about them? Is there a pattern here?

Quick Reply: Poll: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not