2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
View Poll Results: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not
I have/had a 2011/12 6spd with Notchy/Rough/Grinding etc.
36.14%
I never had ANY issues with my 6 spd 2011/12
63.86%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/11, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not

Yes, TMS has to have it's own poll which was requested by a few fellow members. So please vote in regards to the MT-82 so we can get some idea based on THIS board.

Thank you.
Old 5/20/11, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

nvm, just didn't load.... stupid Iraqi internet.
Old 5/20/11, 07:09 AM
Banned

This is also for the people that have a whiny transmission as well. Please vote it as an issue since it's not a normal characteristic of the vehicle.
Old 5/20/11, 07:13 AM
GT Member

Another beautiful, epic fail brought to you by ssimaniac!

How can you lump notchy, rough, and grinding into the same option?!? There is a big difference!! Again, another pointless exercise brought to by J(matero's)CREW.
Old 5/20/11, 07:14 AM
GT Member

What if your first few shifts in the morning are notchy but you consider this normal? I don't know what to answer, I'll wait for 20/20 to tell me...
Old 5/20/11, 07:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
What if your first few shifts in the morning are notchy but you consider this normal? I don't know what to answer, I'll wait for 20/20 to tell me...
You shouldn't answer. The poll feature is meant just for fun, like trying to get people's opinions on color and options choices, etc.

They aren't meant to be a scientifically/statistically valid, legitimate source of information on possible mechanical problems/defects! Talk about using the wrong tool for the job!
Old 5/20/11, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Depending how notchy it is. Wait for the 20/20 to make your decision. I have driven manual mustangs for 10 years and I never had a notchy/rough shift. Whether it was in the cold or warm so it's up to you.
Old 5/20/11, 07:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Depending how notchy it is. Wait for the 20/20 to make your decision. I have driven manual mustangs for 10 years and I never had a notchy/rough shift. Whether it was in the cold or warm so it's up to you.
Dude, I was being sarcastic. I guess I should have been more clear... The poll should be lockout/grinding (not notchy but "it feels like I forgot to push the clutch in even though it is on the floor and the gear makes a horrible noise and won't engage") vs. no issues. There is no such thing as "slight grinding" and synchro notchiness is not grinding, don't clump them together. Also, I agree with Polish, these polls are meaningless. People go on forums if they are happy or upset. So this poll will be made up of either people with problems looking for answers or people who are pleased with their purchase. So based on the demographic of people who visit internet forums, I would think anything less than 40% of people with issues looks good. The error on this poll is probably +/- 35%, lol.
Old 5/20/11, 09:13 AM
GT Member

Only problem I had was notchy shifts that the fluid swap fixed.
Old 5/20/11, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

No real issues - can be a little notchy on cold mornings from 1st to 2nd... the is easily overcome by keeping the clutch in a little longer and blipping the throttle a little to add some RPMs - slips right into gear...
Old 5/20/11, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by freyke
No real issues - can be a little notchy on cold mornings from 1st to 2nd... the is easily overcome by keeping the clutch in a little longer and blipping the throttle a little to add some RPMs - slips right into gear...
That's not a normal characteristic.
Old 5/20/11, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

That's not a normal characteristic.
A MT being notchy when cold isn't normal? ****, I guess all MTs I have ever driven have been as bad as this MT82.... Why weren't you around then pointing this out to us all?
Old 5/20/11, 09:32 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FCMalie
A MT being notchy when cold isn't normal? ****, I guess all MTs I have ever driven have been as bad as this MT82.... Why weren't you around then pointing this out to us all?
I knew he would word the poll to be skewed like this. Doesn't matter though we're not dumb enough to fall for these guys' claims
Old 5/20/11, 09:32 AM
Banned

You and Polish need to get your cars first before you put any input.

Thanks.
Old 5/20/11, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks.
So now I need to have the car to know how it is supposed to work? In another thread didn't you say people research the car before buying it? I have been researching everything on pretty much any forum I could find for the past 17 months (There isn't **** else to do in Iraq other than duck every once in a while). My original order was a 2011, but had to be changed to a 2012 because of deployment time extending as well as short production year. After 17 months of research, plus previous experience driving MTs in other cars, it is completely NORMAL for any MT to be somewhat notchy while cold.
Old 5/20/11, 09:38 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I have been harder on my MT-82 then anyone else on this board and I have never experienced the issues described in this thread

Last edited by Stinger1982; 5/20/11 at 09:41 AM.
Old 5/20/11, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Thanks.
Fail, again. This is America. I don't have the burden of proof here, it lies with YOU and everyone else who makes these hitherto-unsubstantiated!

Posting random pictures of forged letters and sheared gears, and other one-off experiences, isn't going to cut it for anyone who passed kindergarten!
Old 5/20/11, 09:40 AM
Banned

So now I need to have the car to know how it is supposed to work? In another thread didn't you say people research the car before buying it? I have been researching everything on pretty much any forum I could find for the past 17 months (There isn't **** else to do in Iraq other than duck every once in a while). My original order was a 2011, but had to be changed to a 2012 because of deployment time extending as well as short production year. After 17 months of research, plus previous experience driving MTs in other cars, it is completely NORMAL for any MT to be somewhat notchy while cold.
Notchy, sure. But there are different degrees of notchy. Mine began out as notchy, which turned into a grind.
Old 5/20/11, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Stinger, did you happen to switch out the motor mounts? I've been reading up on some work that JHR is with their MT82 and they believe it might have been something to do with alignment due to the twist of the engine on throttle. They are working on a few replacement pieces now just curious if you had replaced any mounts as that might be helping issues.
Old 5/20/11, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I have been harder on my MT-82 then anyone else on this board and I have never experienced the issues described in this thread
This post from a racing pro speaks volumes.

Notchy, sure. But there are different degrees of notchy. Mine began out as notchy, which turned into a grind.
You just tattled on yourself. Now Do you see how pointless and poorly-conceived your poll/thread is?d

Quick Reply: Poll: MT-82 Shifting Issues or Not