2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Planning some mods, opinions appreciated

Old 4/12/17, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Planning some mods, opinions appreciated

I paid my car off since December, so been saving up some money for mods.

Deciding to tune my car. I think an email tune is good enough for me. I don't track the car, it's my daily driver and just occasional spirit driving. I'm thinking about going Steeda tune with CAI. Is a 93 tune good for daily driver or too aggressive?

Only exhaust mod is Borla S mufflers, not really concern about power, just want a little more loud. I was thinking getting the LTH OA pipes from AM for now to get rid of the resonators. I want to keep my stock pipes in case i need to return the car to stock. Then, maybe an aftercat h-pipe if it helps makes the car a little louder with more growl. I want to keep my cats and everything else in front stock for now.

Last, think I definitely want are new wheels, planning to spend around no more than $2k. I can't make up my mind, either the overdone SVE drifts and the older RTRs, or the newer RTR Tech 7s. Sticking with 19s though. If I'm going with the SVE's or black wheels, I would tint my windows and wrap the roof and try to go a blue/black look.

What do you guys think? Sorry some of these may have been discussed before.

Thanks.
Old 4/12/17, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Sounds like you already have a sweet exhaust!

Wheels are definitely up to your personal preference. I hear you about SVE drifts. For Daily Driven car there is a lot of edges to clean. I use mine for track duty, and don't worry about the brake dust in all the edges.

As for intake and tune, I have just got my Steeda kit installed. In daily driving it feels and sounds no different fron stock. Till about 4500 RPM. Then it switches into "AWESOME" mode. Louder, more power, more intake and exhaust noises. I track my car and can't wait to see how the Steeda stuff performs at the track. In terms of daily drivability and idle quality is has been perfect.

Good luck with your mods, your build list sounds really cool!
Old 4/13/17, 02:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
hmmm... what's up kanine. I think the list you have there is good. I'm trying to recall what a "stock" tune feels like. Goodness, it's been so long. I do recall it being "lazy" with the throttle response. So getting a GOOD tune is where it's at, esp if you're staying NA.

Steeda is decent from what I hear. My post stock tune has been with a blower, so I've never had just a tune for NA form. But throttle response is where it's at. If Steeda can provide that, then do that.

Wheels? Subjective. I love my 20's. I wouldn't go 19's. But that's me. If you're set with 19's, go with that. No use discussing wheel choice - they're endless. Whatever you want is good.

Pipes - I never knew how good LTH's made the car sound until I got one. In NA form, you'll still notice the sound change, and the power gains up top. I highly recommend Kooks as that is what I have. Too many good things to say about them.

Good luck with the mods... let us know what you decide.
Old 4/13/17, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, no plans to boost the car at all. The car is still plenty power for me, so just a tune for now is the plan. I know a lot of people love Kooks, but couldn't find any OTA pipes for them without buying the whole catback.
Old 4/13/17, 07:30 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by kanine
Thanks, no plans to boost the car at all. The car is still plenty power for me, so just a tune for now is the plan. I know a lot of people love Kooks, but couldn't find any OTA pipes for them without buying the whole catback.
Another vote for the Steeda CAI and 93 octane tune. I have been running it for about 3 years now with no complaints. I ran it with the stock exhaust for the first year or so while using the car as my daily driver, then added the Kooks cat back exhaust. The biggest benefit for me was shutting off the skip shift feature with the manual trans. It was annoying under regular around town driving. I have been happy with the Kook's cat back system as well. It is a bit pricey, but has a really good sound without being obnoxiously loud.
Old 4/14/17, 10:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kanine
There are those that don't know what you meant when you said LTH OTA pipes because I believe they're exclusive to American Muscle. You could always get the Borla OTA pipes too, since you already have their axle backs.
Old 4/14/17, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, I saw the Borlas, I just liked the LTH because they were 2 pieces.

Anyone thinks an aftercat H pipe is worth it just for sound? I know we have an H pipe already.
Old 4/23/17, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I know black wheels and SVE's are played out, but I got them. Now to decide on tires, I have the extra cash, so I might get Michelin PSSs, just heard the threadlife is not that great. My stock Pirellis still have about 6/32 thread after 16k miles, and I use it daily with occasion spirited driving.
Attached Thumbnails Planning some mods, opinions appreciated-dsc_0111.jpg   Planning some mods, opinions appreciated-dsc_0110.jpg  
Old 4/23/17, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like a good list!
I have the SVE rims I like the way they look especially for the price!
Exaust wise, I have the jegs ( mail order company) store brand (cheap)
It comes with 3" H-pipe and OTA pipes, (so cats to axle back)
Changed the sound a lot by getting rid of the resonators and having all 3" manderal bent pipes. I stayed with H pipe and glad I did I don't personally care for the raspy sound the coyote motor gets with an X pipe. Just my personal opinion!
Hope this helps!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 4/23/17 at 08:58 PM.
Old 4/24/17, 07:54 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Sounds like a good list!
Changed the sound a lot by getting rid of the resonators and having all 3" manderal bent pipes. I stayed with H pipe and glad I did I don't personally care for the raspy sound the coyote motor gets with an X pipe. Just my personal opinion!
Hope this helps!
This. That's why I got rid of my X for a good ole' fashioned H.
Old 4/24/17, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Sounds like a good list!
Hope this helps!
Yes, I like the deeper tone of a H pipe too, don't really care for the little power difference with a X pipe.

How is your exhaust with the resonators deleted? Any drone or is it just louder and deeper?
Old 4/24/17, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Louder and deeper no drone!
Old 4/25/17, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice, you have stock cats?

I'm also undecided on tires now, I was planning to get Michelin PSS, but now I'm thinking maybe getting the all season AS3 instead. My car is a daily, so I think the AS3 maybe better for daily use on horrible city streets with longer thread life. My only concern is handling in wet weather, I don't track the car, but I do take it for some spirited driving when I head out of the city. I would get a square setup anyway so I can rotate the tires.

I have a set of Blizzaks on spare rims that I put on between Dec-Mar, so should I go for the PSS and have the ability to push the car harder if I wanted to, or get all seasons? I just read the AS3 was as good as some summer tires. I'm sure they are probably better than the stock P-Zeros anyway, right? What would you guys do?
Old 4/25/17, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice sensible choice with the SVEs. I still like mine after 3 years of ownership and track abuse. Wish they were a bit lighter, but still 3 lbs lighter per wheel. Can't beat that deal!
Old 4/26/17, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, I'm not crazy about black wheels, but I like them though, they look good.

Search this Thread