I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
But you are not a new driver. I betting you are a old pro

this past winter here in AZ
Old 8/17/10, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by todd03blown
wrong! My mom and dad had more sense than to buy me a performance car AS MY FIRST CAR at the age of 17-18. I grew up with fast cars from the age of 5 until I moved out and not until the age of 21 did I get a brand new 1991 LX 5.0. My first car was a 240z it was nice and had decent power and was fun to drive.

But hey parents do odd things these days....a lot more odd then when I was 18.....
Where was I wrong? At 18 you would have declined help from the parents... calling the BS card on that one. And we are talking about an 18 year old, I can't imagine letting a 5 year old drive performance cars...
Old 8/17/10, 06:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrXniick
Completely agree... the OPs story is changing to conveniently fit the consensus in the thread.

First his dad is buying it for him, now he has driven fast cars, AND is paying 14-16k for it and has the money to chip in an additional 5-6k? Seems fishy.
Yes.
And the fact that some of the posts could have been taken the wrong way and he did not react negatively AT ALL. What 18 yr old does that? I'd say either he's a super mature 18 yr old, or he is the "dad" posting here to see what he should do, or Ford doing market research? His username is also not something a typical 18yr old would make. Makes no difference though since the advice is the same.

I really like conspiracy theories
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I guess what im saying is buy a sho taurus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6u3lUxwl_o

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
But you are not a new driver. I betting you are a old pro

this past winter here in AZ
I'm not even 20 yet.
Old 8/17/10, 06:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

lol hush you are hurting my point!
Old 8/17/10, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
I had a feeling this thread would go off when I glanced at it earlier today . . . but anyway here are some thoughts:

- I also think there is something not quite right about an 18-year-old getting a brand new Mustang handed to them as their first car . . . it's definitely a better life lesson to earn it . . . but then again if I was offered one at 18, I certainly wouldn't have turned it down

- I had an Olds 442 with the 455 engine as my first car at 17 and I survived . . . but some of my friends with similar cars did not . . . I was unusually responsible / restrained for my age (some have other words for it, but some of them met less desireable fates)

- my Dad did buy that 442 for me, for $200! So needless to say, I had to do a lot of work on it to get it ready for the road . . . and I was proud to have done that work

- I drove that 442 through the winter, just like every other rear wheel drive car on the road those days, with no major issues . . . without traction control, didn't exist . . . and (unfortunately) plan to do the same with my new 'stang, but will get some good snow tires

- the new V6 Mustang is probably quicker than that old 455 beast, and handles a lot better, and has traction control (which is not to say it won't slide on snow, but it helps)

- to the OP's original question: I think the V6 is more than enough car, but definitely get a good set of real snow tires if you plan to drive it through the winter (for snow tires, narrower is better, so 17" wheels with high sidewall tires is the way to go) . . . you and your Dad need to use good judgment about whether you can be responsible in a car like that, and you can decide for yourself about how much you need to "earn it"
Old 8/17/10, 08:02 PM

Wow, I read all of these posts and 97% of them have the same thing in common... WTF!?!?! Really? an 18 year old with a brand new pony? When I was 19, I bought a 1995 Mustang GT for 5K with my own money. Why? Cause my parents said, "You want stuff, you have to pay for it!" I was extremely thankful for my 1989 Aerostar when I turned 16. My parents gave me that and I was sooooo happy! 260K miles on it with rust all over... But, it was wheels.

My advice is this, whatever Mustang you get, don't show your friends... You might not have many for long. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 8/17/10, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5OH3OH2
Wow, I read all of these posts and 97% of them have the same thing in common... WTF!?!?! Really? an 18 year old with a brand new pony? When I was 19, I bought a 1995 Mustang GT for 5K with my own money. Why? Cause my parents said, "You want stuff, you have to pay for it!" I was extremely thankful for my 1989 Aerostar when I turned 16. My parents gave me that and I was sooooo happy! 260K miles on it with rust all over... But, it was wheels.

My advice is this, whatever Mustang you get, don't show your friends... You might not have many for long. Best of luck with your decision.
Looks like you need to have a talk with your parents man, c'mon man. Some people are just more fortunate than others, that is the way it is. Glad you got that out of your system though
Old 8/17/10, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jedikd
Neither is the right car. Get a car you can pay for yourself and stop living off your parents. Do you have any idea how much insurance alone would be a for a 5.0? Or is your Dad paying that too?

I went to a college where pretty much everyone had a BMW or Merc that their parents bought, and the cars were beat up, dented, dirty and they drove recklessly. I'm a firm believer something given has no value and you won't learn to respect it.

I bought my 07 GT on my own for myself as a college graduation present and appreciate it so much more because of that.

I can't imagine as an 18-year old rolling up to a cruise night/car show in a brand new 5.0 and having to explain that my parents pay for it, I'd feel pretty dumb. If you're a big mustang fan, work for a summer save up some cash and buy a nice 05-09 GT or maybe a 03/04 Mach 1, that'd be much more impressive!

Just my two cents since you asked.
I got my 07 GT when I was 18. I went from an 06 civic which only had 140hp. The GT's 300 is still enough for a daily. Right arround the same time I got my GT a guy I know got a brand new GT500. His parents bought it for him. I'd say that is more irresponsible the a 5.0. This guy though is very smart and has not wrecked the car. He keeps it in pristine condition and has modded it to roughly 600hp. Planning on doing a KB swap, wants 700rwhp. And get this...he is only 21 now.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
A V6 PP car is not a snow car.

Neither is a GT.

I have it good down here, no snow and very little truly cold winter weather.

If you live where it snows very much then you need a winter beater and then maybe a nice car for the nice weather.

Also, if you as a 18 year old haven't ever had a car with the power and capabilities that a GT, or even a V6 PP have, then I would say that neither is the car for you until you have more seasoning under your belt. Either one of those cars could be a handful for anyone who has never had a performance car before, dangerous in the wrong hands.
I would suggest going to driving school and getting some proper training so you will know how to handle the car in the snow. My car in the rain gets a little tail happy even being gentle on it. So either one you get be careful.

Originally Posted by chevys
This is a terribly hard call without knowing you. The V6 is no joke anymore. Now, when I was your age I wanted a 78 z28 with 4 on the floor with a whopping 180 hp. I would opt for a base gt buts thats me. The main thing is your saftey. I dont mean to preach or sound like a parent but I worry about this. The 3.7 has plenty of power.

You are so young and so inexperineced that I question the v8. YOu can get just as dead in either but the temtation is not there with the v6. The five oh just begs you to drive it hard.

I want you to come back here it 50 years. Your safety is everything. I dont know you and all kids are different. But, I love you young guys who love mustangs and I want you around for a long long time. I would take the base GT but thats me. No matter what you do , please be careful ok.
See above.

Originally Posted by Fire512
Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. I've spent the last 20 years of my life responding to auto accidents and cutting people in various states of disrepair , out of vehicles. I don't know you but I wouldn't put any 18 year old in a 400+ HP vehicle. That is just a recipe for disaster.
My dad is on the fire dept. here in NOLA and has told me countless stories of auto accidents. Yet when we were looking for a new car he would not get me a V6 mustang. He said if I get one it would have to be a V8.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
of those two choices, V6

18 is just too young for that much power (in general)
It's more of how you respect the car. My parents bought my car and I take better car of it then my dad took care of his 35th ann. edt. GT and that car was rarly driven.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I'm not even 20 yet.
Exactly. I'm 21 and will just have turned 22 when I get my Boss

Originally Posted by 5OH3OH2

See above. 18yo w/GT500 its all about personal responsibility.
Old 8/17/10, 08:39 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

more often then not giving a gt500 to a 18 year old would end in death. rules(or common sense) are not made for the exceptions.
Old 8/17/10, 08:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Meh. Either the OP will splatter him/herself on a pole or someone else, or they won't. Won't matter what car they're in. Not to be terribly graphic, but that's really that. Have you seen people driving Civics... or hell, even a 4 cylinder Corolla?!? Death traps, and they still fly about at 90... in a 35.

So, in that respect, you should totally go for the Shelby GT500.

/hopes you don't wreck, or get wrecked.
//Because it totally sucks.
///oh, and not that you'll do that daredevil flyin' about... just overall sayin'.
////was a 16 year old with a Mustang II V6 and the things I made it do... kinda surprised I'm still here sometimes.

Last edited by houtex; 8/17/10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flagstang
more often then not giving a gt500 to a 18 year old would end in death. rules(or common sense) are not made for the exceptions.
I completely agree. I am not ever getting my son a car with over 250hp unless he either buys it himself and learns personal responsibility or takes some performance driving courses.
Old 8/17/10, 08:57 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
takes some performance driving courses.

THIS! I know guys that drive brand new m3's(like asses) and such that said things like nasa and scca made them better drivers and even more calm on the road.
Old 8/17/10, 09:12 PM
GT Member

when i was 18, i got my 2005 V6. my dad tried talking me INTO the GT knowing i'd want the power later. i wish i would have listened. my parents didn't buy my car though, i made every single monthly payment till i sold her.

if i had a choice between a fully loaded 6 and a base 5.0, i'd take the 6. if you can get a premium 5.0, i'd say go for it. regardless, pick something that you want to sit in day in and day out. sit in both cars and decide based on that. no matter how much power you have, you'll always want more.
Old 8/17/10, 09:21 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
got a buddy that got his 18yr old son a gt500...luckily the story ended with house arrest for 6 months, noone got hurt...now his 17 yr old son has it- hes more mature, a calm headed type, but still a 500 hp car and a new driver is a couple inches of right foot movement from out of control...I couldnt do it...Ive told my sons sorry, but they wont be driving a mustang for a long time- insurance is just way too high for one thing, the temptation to make some noise is the major thing though- the best kid in the world(or his dad) will NOT be able to say hes never got on it. Old neighbor friend was going to get his granddaughter a pickup- no numbers of friends in the car, cheap insurance, strength of a full frame/high ride height, etc...IF I buy a (used) car for the boys to learn in, it will be a pickup...if not, THEY will b fixing up the mark VII or windstar, I'll gladly help- a lot- but they are going to know they gotta pay to play.

I drove since 15.5 yrs old when I got my temps, fixed up my own car(mom gave it to me at 15 if I could fix it, I could keep it- underhood fire meant I had a lot of work to do... paid my own gas/insurance washing dishes/bussing tables till I got a better job my senior year...still work there, pay a bit better now

every kid/situation is different, but even if I won the lottery or something and had endlless funds, only way Id give a 16 yr old a mustang would be with a 'valet mode' tune or throttle stop. Even a V6 had a crazy amount of power, 1/3 throttle even could still get a kid in trouble if he tried...20% on a gt might be plenty...I can(have tried) drive my gt normally with 1/2 inch of pedal...at 16 there is zero chance I could have
Old 8/17/10, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Yes.
And the fact that some of the posts could have been taken the wrong way and he did not react negatively AT ALL. What 18 yr old does that? I'd say either he's a super mature 18 yr old, or he is the "dad" posting here to see what he should do, or Ford doing market research? His username is also not something a typical 18yr old would make. Makes no difference though since the advice is the same.

I really like conspiracy theories
Or we all just got trolled.
Old 8/17/10, 10:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ireallycare
Or we all just got trolled.
Conspiracy theories are way more fun... come on man!
Old 8/17/10, 11:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Old 8/17/10, 11:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
There are lots of spoiled kids now-a-days ... here is what I drove at 18 ... 400 Cubic Inches!!!

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Now that's a great car to have in high school!

Flop that back seat down and have plenty of room to get busy!

Wait...that car might be more dangerous than a 412 HP GT...
Originally Posted by dmhines
Oh yes ... I went to the prom in this car!!!
ring ring...(hello this is dmhines)...(hi dm remember me,im girl you went to prom with in that *****ing wagon...would you like to speak with your son!) lol

Quick Reply: perf pack v6 or 5.0 for 18 year old