Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

perf pack v6 or 5.0 for 18 year old

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/10, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perf pack v6 or 5.0 for 18 year old

Hi guys new member and had some questions

first off i convinced my dad to buy a new 2011 mustang as birthday/ early graduation gift. As of right now I have an order placed for a new v6 with the performance package. I ordered 7/22 and havn't heard anything from my dealer despit weekly calls to my salesman.

The dealer does have a base 5.0 on the lot and I'm trying to convince my dad to cancel the order and buy the GT. His major problem with it is that he thinks it wont be safe for me to drive during the winter.

Just wondering what you guys think is the right car

thanks
Old 8/17/10, 04:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Yea, If you get the 5.0 and use it for winter, you'll NEED winter tires/rims. The 2010 GT in the snow was really choppy. Probably even with the v6 just to be on the safe side as it's ("summer only tires"). My tires rim combo was about 1300. (see them here). And it's a night and day difference for snow driving.

What will the insurance jump be from 5.0 to v6? Ask and see if your dad is willing to go the dealer and test drive the GT that's there. If the performance of a V6 is satisfactory to your taste, then look to the 2010 as it's still better, and has a huge aftermarket already established and offers the v8 sound. Otherwise, give the man some incentive and offer to pay 3-5k towards the 5.0.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 8/17/10 at 04:55 PM. Reason: link
Old 8/17/10, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Neither is the right car. Get a car you can pay for yourself and stop living off your parents. Do you have any idea how much insurance alone would be a for a 5.0? Or is your Dad paying that too?

I went to a college where pretty much everyone had a BMW or Merc that their parents bought, and the cars were beat up, dented, dirty and they drove recklessly. I'm a firm believer something given has no value and you won't learn to respect it.

I bought my 07 GT on my own for myself as a college graduation present and appreciate it so much more because of that.

I can't imagine as an 18-year old rolling up to a cruise night/car show in a brand new 5.0 and having to explain that my parents pay for it, I'd feel pretty dumb. If you're a big mustang fan, work for a summer save up some cash and buy a nice 05-09 GT or maybe a 03/04 Mach 1, that'd be much more impressive!

Just my two cents since you asked.

Last edited by jedikd; 8/17/10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 05:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread will not go well, lol
Old 8/17/10, 05:02 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
This thread will not go well, lol
These things never end well. Bring out the popcorn!
Old 8/17/10, 05:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A V6 PP car is not a snow car.

Neither is a GT.

I have it good down here, no snow and very little truly cold winter weather.

If you live where it snows very much then you need a winter beater and then maybe a nice car for the nice weather.

Also, if you as a 18 year old haven't ever had a car with the power and capabilities that a GT, or even a V6 PP have, then I would say that neither is the car for you until you have more seasoning under your belt. Either one of those cars could be a handful for anyone who has never had a performance car before, dangerous in the wrong hands.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/17/10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is a terribly hard call without knowing you. The V6 is no joke anymore. Now, when I was your age I wanted a 78 z28 with 4 on the floor with a whopping 180 hp. I would opt for a base gt buts thats me. The main thing is your saftey. I dont mean to preach or sound like a parent but I worry about this. The 3.7 has plenty of power.

You are so young and so inexperineced that I question the v8. YOu can get just as dead in either but the temtation is not there with the v6. The five oh just begs you to drive it hard.

I want you to come back here it 50 years. Your safety is everything. I dont know you and all kids are different. But, I love you young guys who love mustangs and I want you around for a long long time. I would take the base GT but thats me. No matter what you do , please be careful ok.
Old 8/17/10, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. I've spent the last 20 years of my life responding to auto accidents and cutting people in various states of disrepair , out of vehicles. I don't know you but I wouldn't put any 18 year old in a 400+ HP vehicle. That is just a recipe for disaster.
Old 8/17/10, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fire512
Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. I've spent the last 20 years of my life responding to auto accidents and cutting people in various states of disrepair , out of vehicles. I don't know you but I wouldn't put any 18 year old in a 400+ HP vehicle. That is just a recipe for disaster.
Cue the "but I'm very mature for my age" and "I work hard in school so I deserve this!"
Old 8/17/10, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 18stang
Hi guys new member and had some questions

first off i convinced my dad to buy a new 2011 mustang as birthday/ early graduation gift. As of right now I have an order placed for a new v6 with the performance package. I ordered 7/22 and havn't heard anything from my dealer despit weekly calls to my salesman.

The dealer does have a base 5.0 on the lot and I'm trying to convince my dad to cancel the order and buy the GT. His major problem with it is that he thinks it wont be safe for me to drive during the winter.

Just wondering what you guys think is the right car

thanks
ok 18stang you have a lot of things to think about with this so let me do what i can to help you out. Here are a couple questions you can ask yourself and your father.

1. How bad are your winters? If lots of snow and ice (black ice)
-- If so get the V6 IMO, V8 has so much TQ and HP you will probably spin your tires a lot.

2. How are you going to be driving this car? Is this going to be your daily driver?
-- If it's your Daily Driver go for the V6, you will save a ton of money on gas in the long run.

3. Are you looking to be racing and going to the Drag strip? (think realistically)
-- If you will be racing / drag strip, get the 5.0

4. Have you seen the price difference from V6 to V8... There is a significant difference.
-- If money is a major factor, Get the V6

5. Remember, the new V6 has just as much HP as the 2010 GT, so don't think the V6 is going to be weak and slow, because it's not.

P.S. I know whats its like to be young and get a muscle car, My first car is a 1992 Mustang GT 5.0, it got me in trouble... One reason, Lead foot + Adrenaline rush from friends and other guys who want to race.
Old 8/17/10, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm a young guy still, 21 now, and I've wanted a Mustang or Cobra for as long as I can remember. I was straight pissed when my Dad would not even let me look at a Mustang in HS. We ended up putting me in a 95 Thunderbird SC... still a powerful car for those who know them, I took **** good care of it and got some experience in a powerful car. Now that I've hit college I bought a 96 Cobra... I can't imagine going straight from that Thunderbird to a 400 horse 5.0 or even straight to the Shelby I'm hoping to upgrade to in the next couple years. The Cobra's been a blast and I take really good care of it now too, but long story short I'm glad my Dad didn't let me go straight into something like a V-8 Stang even just a couple years ago, and now I've got my Cobra to be proud of.

Save your money and work your way up to a GT, that's my vote... aka go with the V-6 for now.
Old 8/17/10, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whereabouts do you live, 18stang?
Old 8/17/10, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Cue the "but I'm very mature for my age" and "I work hard in school so I deserve this!"
Originally Posted by harristotle
I'm a young guy still, 21 now, and I've wanted a Mustang or Cobra for as long as I can remember. I was straight pissed when my Dad would not even let me look at a Mustang in HS. We ended up putting me in a 95 Thunderbird SC... still a powerful car for those who know them, I took **** good care of it and got some experience in a powerful car. Now that I've hit college I bought a 96 Cobra... I can't imagine going straight from that Thunderbird to a 400 horse 5.0 or even straight to the Shelby I'm hoping to upgrade to in the next couple years. The Cobra's been a blast and I take really good care of it now too, but long story short I'm glad my Dad didn't let me go straight into something like a V-8 Stang even just a couple years ago, and now I've got my Cobra to be proud of.

Save your money and work your way up to a GT, that's my vote... aka go with the V-6 for now.
You obviously realize now that your dad made a good decision with your well being and safety in mind. I'm sure at some point he will also understand this .
Old 8/17/10, 05:29 PM
Cobra R Member

we would like to see you reach 19

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/
Old 8/17/10, 05:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
of those two choices, V6

18 is just too young for that much power (in general)
Old 8/17/10, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

I would recommend finding a new 2010 V6. It has 210 HP which is only 5 less than my '96 GT vert.
Old 8/17/10, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

A new stang for an 18 yr old is a mistake. You need to learn to drive well before you get a pony car.

Its like giving a 7 yr old a 12 gauga shotgun. They do not have good enough sense to use it, and really could not handle it either.

PS - Man up and buy your own car.
Old 8/17/10, 05:40 PM
GT Member

if your worried about winter and snow buy a subaru impreza... still a fun car to drive, quick, handles well, yada yada yada and it will do well in snow. plus its cheaper on your dad and they are pretty cheap to tune.

Also for all of you who say man up and buy your own car, you cant sit there and tell me that when you were 18 if your dad said he would buy you a car you would have said "no thanks i think i will man up and buy my own"

remember 18 = selfish

Last edited by factory fast; 8/17/10 at 05:42 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fire512
You obviously realize now that your dad made a good decision with your well being and safety in mind. I'm sure at some point he will also understand this .
It will take a while, and teens are impatient, we all know that.
Old 8/17/10, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
we would like to see you reach 19

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/

Plus one million. We want him to come back. I am not trying to scare him at all. I feel like I could have handled it at that age but kids are all different. HIs parents have to make the call. I think the v6 Mustang would be best. Thats more than enough. He could have loads of fun with it. Just please be careful with what ever you get. I worry so much about this and want everybody to be safe.

Quick Reply: perf pack v6 or 5.0 for 18 year old