2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Over On MotorTrend.com

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/08, 06:47 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Even Steven
I'm as much of a Mustang fan as anyone, but I don't think any Mustang GT will quite be able to keep up with the new Z car in acceleration, handling, or braking. The new Z is lighter, has more power, and its suspension is set up better for handling.
You failed to mention that the Mustang GT has a lot more torque (57 lb-ft) than the Z. That comes in hand for straight-line acceleration.
Old 12/2/08, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by holderca1
You failed to mention that the Mustang GT has a lot more torque (57 lb-ft) than the Z. That comes in hand for straight-line acceleration.
Straight-line accelration is dependent on much more than torque. Actually, the weight advantage of the Z alone will more than offset its torque disadvantage.

I wish the GT was lighter and more powerful, but it looks like we'll have to wait for that to happen. Even if the 5.0L engine is around in 2011, most likely the car will be even heavier than the 2010.
Old 12/2/08, 09:59 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Even Steven
Straight-line accelration is dependent on much more than torque. Actually, the weight advantage of the Z alone will more than offset its torque disadvantage.

I wish the GT was lighter and more powerful, but it looks like we'll have to wait for that to happen. Even if the 5.0L engine is around in 2011, most likely the car will be even heavier than the 2010.
Yes there is more to it than just torque, but I never said that it was dependent on torque alone. Torque is more important than horsepower. From magazine testing, they will be pretty close in straight line acceleration.
Old 12/2/08, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes there is more to it than just torque, but I never said that it was dependent on torque alone. Torque is more important than horsepower. From magazine testing, they will be pretty close in straight line acceleration.
On the street, the current 350Z with the high rev engine and the GT are close (a true drivers race). Me thinks the 370Z, being lighter and more powerful will be a few tenths faster than the 2010 GT.
Old 12/2/08, 02:43 PM
Banned

Yes there is more to it than just torque, but I never said that it was dependent on torque alone. .
No, you said that I failed to mention the torque difference between the two cars. I didn't fail to mention it, I disregarded it because torque isn't the deciding factor for acceleration. Other factors (weight, gearing, etc...) all play a role in the acceleration of any vehicle. Time will tell how they compare to each other in actual performance tests. I'd estimate that the straight-line acceleration will be close (but probably give the edge to the Z), but I don't think the Mustang will be nearly as close in handling or stopping.