2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Out of the Big 3, why did you chose the Stang?

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/10 | 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by FivePointO
I was just obsessed with the ls3 in a more affordable car. It just didn't do it for me. I test drove a 10' Mustang GT and it is just better, but didn't have the push you back in your seat the Camaro had. Ford fixed that with the 11' 5.0... its just a win win for me. Also it will be fun to be a part of the Mustang community.
I feel the same way. I didnt bother test driving a 2010 because I'm sure the performance is close to an 09. Chevy's LS motors are a beast, especially the LS3. I understand that obsession lol. Ford has excellant quality too.
Old 5/1/10 | 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've grown up with Mopar guys, i've helped them build '70 Cuda's, '69 440 Charger's, 66 Hemi Belvedere's, '69 Dart Swinger 340's just to name a few. One day when i was 20, after doing the groceries with my girlfriend, i noticed this Ford dealership across the boulevard and couldn't help but stare at that 5.0 badge on the side of that black LX notch. So i went in a bought one. As simple as that, this was back in 1991, my first Mustang and it cost me $16000 cdn with new pony wheels.
Best part is when i came back to my cousin's place ( where all Mopars were parked), the look on his face. PRICELESS....remained loyal to the brand since then.
Old 5/1/10 | 04:41 PM
GT Member

#1 reason, neither competitor has a vert.
#2 reason, Ford took no taxpayer money

Considered both the Lexus IS and Infinity G37 vert, but neither really did anything for me. When the 412hp GT was announced, that clinched it for me.
Old 5/1/10 | 04:46 PM
V6 Member

I am a Mustang guy for one and only buy Ford cars no matter what else is out there.
Have had three Mustangs now.
Absolutely refuse to buy anything from Barack Obama Motors.
My parents had on GM products in the past, all junk, and now only buy Ford.
One of my grandfathers only bought Chrysler products again most were junk.

Oh yeah I like the way it looks and the new 5.0 engine was why I bought one.
Old 5/1/10 | 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

All of the above!!

In all fairness I have grown up with the bowtie. Through and through a Chevy family. I used to even make fun of the mustang guys and their weird sounding high pitched V8's. On the inside I was jealous, it really looked like an awesome and fun car (Fox body). Still seemed like Ford was behind the times but something must have been working for the Mustang that I didn't understand. As the '94 style came out I became even more intrigued. Knew a friend in high school who's dad let her drive his Cobra and just got more and more in my blood.
Then, I had forgotten about the car for a few years.
I was thinking about what GMC truck I would be buying after my last one and one day while I was working at a Car Audio shop in Oklahoma, I was given the keys to a 2003 Cobra vert. 3 seconds after getting in the car, starting it and rowing through a couple of gears I was hooked. Bitten if you will. All through my time in the military and overseas, I couldn't get that car out of my head and even told my wife that when I returned, that was the car I wanted. Well, the 2005 came out and so on, loved the refresh but wasn't really certain.
So, a buddy of mine reminded me that the '11 was going to have a 5.0L and then I began to get interested.
It was Pontiac G8 GT or Camaro SS or die almost but something wanted me to hold out. I sat in a 2010 at an auto show and just by sitting in the car, looking at the nice interior for such a common car, I just got that big silly *** grin on my face and then I knew it was the car I had to have.
When I found out that the 2011 was going to have a DOHC 5.0L, EPAS, 6 forward, sound deadening, Sync, Brembo's, gorgeous stance and all the goodies I had never had in a car, I thought it was perfect. The most perfect muscle car the U.S. had ever built. For the common person, not including special models, GT500's etc. I can only afford a GT. It was just the most realistic body style, practical, better outward vision, great handling, small feeling foot print that drew me in. I could go on and on, but what it came down to was great power unlike the typical American muscle car, great visibility, very comfortable, and easy to drive (spiritedly). Cost effective for a V8 also!
I know I rambled but I am really excited about this new car and the future of a more modern muscle car classic. Something I love about the GT is that it just looks very athletic and stout, but also has a bit of crazy in its eyes, I like that. More my personality!
Old 5/1/10 | 05:22 PM
V6 Member

As others have said the Camaro is too cartoonish looking for me (even though I think it looks cool, i just couldn't drive around a car that looks like that). Also, the interior is not nearly as nice as the Mustangs.

The Challenger is butt ugly IMO with a boring interior, I just don't get it. It looks fat, bloated and plain. Plus, It's a chrysler, nuff said.

As far as the Mustang goes, I've been a fan of Mustangs since I was a kid But lost intrest from the 99 "new edge" redesign through the 05-09 s197 redesign for whatever reasons (mostly the interiors and the tacked on scoops I'd guess) But when I saw the '10s I was hooked all over again.

Last edited by ttiguy; 5/1/10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 5/1/10 | 05:24 PM

Hi all. I considered myself a Chevy/Buick guy the first half of my drivin' life (Chevelles & Vettes & WildCats in the late 60s/70s) and have gravitated to Ford, Mercurys & Lincolns in my "grown up" age.
My wife & her family were into Mustangs ('69 fastback, '71 Mach 1, a '76 Mustang II bomb.) Upon looking for a car for my daughter, I test drove a couple '10 Mustang GTs. I was duly impressed! So was my wife. My daughter would not even consider any other car (although I did, such as the '10 Camaro, Infinitys, etc.) Since the Mustang fit my daughter so well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a '11 V6 Premium Coupe in Grabber Blue w/ 3.31 rear gears, 6 speed auto trans, 202A Pony package, HID lights, rear video camera, racing stripe down center of car, comfort pack, & security pack. After shopping around 5 dealerships in the area for the last few months, I realized I wasn't going to get much of a discount off MSRP. In fact, with each dealer stop I made, the price kept on increasing!!! I finally settled on a reputable dealer & ordered the car at just $800 off MSRP. Ouch! Oh the price one has to pay to be the first in the neighborhood with the hot car.
Old 5/1/10 | 06:05 PM

Interesting replies. I bet a lot of people jumped ship when the S197's came out in 2005. Now that we finally got a respectable drivetrain, even more will switch brands.
Old 5/1/10 | 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

1. 412hp @ 6500
2. 3600lbs
3. mustang fan since i rode in a hi-po 289 66 fastback.
4. handling
5. looks

i was buying a jag or cts-v when this car was announced. i was waiting on finances from a divorce, so lucky for me i had to wait. i was not looking at any for product when this was announced.

e55 mercedes
s type-r
06,07,09 cts-v
Old 5/1/10 | 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CG205
#2 reason, Ford took no taxpayer money
^^^^^^

We all know its a great car, and so is the Camaro really. But there are a lot of great cars.

In the end what did it for me was the it was a Ford. FoMoCo is the tried and true American auto maker.
Old 5/1/10 | 07:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
1. 412hp @ 6500
2. 3600lbs
3. mustang fan since i rode in a hi-po 289 66 fastback.
4. handling
5. looks

i was buying a jag or cts-v when this car was announced. i was waiting on finances from a divorce, so lucky for me i had to wait. i was not looking at any for product when this was announced.

e55 mercedes
s type-r
06,07,09 cts-v
I just sold my '05 CTS-V so I could park the new V6 Mustang in the driveway. I liked the V but I think the Mustang suits ME better. I mean, I need a car that's more expected to participate in tom foolery. And the V was "just a fast Caddy."
Old 5/1/10 | 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why Mustang?
  • The Mustang has better overall quality than the others
  • The Mustang is quicker
  • The Mustang has a nicer, more refined interior
  • Ford reliability
  • The Mustang is less expensive
  • My Dad worked for Ford for 38 years

Why not Challenger?
  • More expensive
  • Slower
  • I wish the interior was as nice as the exterior styling
  • Chrysler reliability

Why not Camaro?
  • Awful, shabby plastic interior. Seat lever felt like it was going to come off when I pulled it.
  • Cartoon-ish styling
  • Hard to see out of
  • Felt like a tank inside. Way too dark.
  • LS3 is not enough to make up for the car they put it in.
  • The horrible feeling of disappointment I felt when I sat in one at the Detroit show, after waiting so long for the pony car war to start again. The CTS and Malibu have top rate interiors and great styling. GM can do better, they just didn't. I'll just buy an LS3 crate motor and put it in my Corvette instead.

Last edited by coffeejolts; 5/1/10 at 07:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 5/1/10 | 07:57 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I have been a mustang guy since high school. My family has always been a ford family. Best bang for the buck and I like the looks over the others. Plus little kids and girls know its a mustang at first glance.
Old 5/1/10 | 08:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've always been a Ford guy. I think the Camaro is nice ... but don't like the interior. Plum Crazy Challenger RT would be sweet .. but its just too **** big! I also like the fact the Ford took no TARP funds ....
Old 5/1/10 | 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I was originally going to go for a Hyundai Genesis 3.8. Loyalty program, other incentives, a dealer I was familiar (and on a first name basis with), all combined to make that a no-brainer for me. Loved the look of the car, it was getting great reviews, and then I drove it. I swear I just about drove right to my chiropractor right after the test drive. The ride was not my cup of tea at all. NVH in the car was intolerable. Optioned the way I wanted it, it was going to cost 32 or more. So I priced the competition. Came down to the Mustang and the Camaro. My 16 year old cousin (female) told me the Camaro was "cute". That just about sealed it; the Camaro was a chick car. Read up on the 'stang, started lurking the forums enough to hear about the 2011 engine, and decided I could wait for that kind of positive change. Now I'm just about a month from seeing that car in the driveway, and I cannot wait.
Old 5/1/10 | 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

DBL POST

Last edited by jokerstars; 5/1/10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 5/1/10 | 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
Well, I was originally going to go for a Hyundai Genesis 3.8. Loyalty program, other incentives, a dealer I was familiar (and on a first name basis with), all combined to make that a no-brainer for me. Loved the look of the car, it was getting great reviews, and then I drove it. I swear I just about drove right to my chiropractor right after the test drive. The ride was not my cup of tea at all. NVH in the car was intolerable. Optioned the way I wanted it, it was going to cost 32 or more. So I priced the competition. Came down to the Mustang and the Camaro. My 16 year old cousin (female) told me the Camaro was "cute". That just about sealed it; the Camaro was a chick car. Read up on the 'stang, started lurking the forums enough to hear about the 2011 engine, and decided I could wait for that kind of positive change. Now I'm just about a month from seeing that car in the driveway, and I cannot wait.
Sorry man, the Mustang is FAR more a chick car. I've literally polled dozens of attractive 20-something females to ask them which car they thought was the best looking/sexiest. Most said the Mustang, followed by the Challenger. But you know what, I think the Mustang also looks the best. Most of the guys I know like the Camaro's looks the best, but it's too hot-wheelsy for me.

I don't think the Mustang being a chick car is a bad thing, though I will admit if I see a 16 year old girl pull up next to me in her new 2011 V6 mustang with a bowtie from daddy...my ego will hurt a bit.
Old 5/1/10 | 09:19 PM
V6 Member

1. Grew up in a Ford only family.
2. Spent most of my early life riding in a red 65 fastback that my dad ordered new.
3. Had an uncle with a yellow and black 69" Boss 302.
4. Have had a total of 13 Mustangs in my immediate family, 5 of them mine.
6. Liked the 05's but really like the 10 plus because the styling is more aggressive.
7. Seriously thought about a 10" but once I heard about all of the new features for 11"
I was sold, even though I have never driven an 05" plus.
8. Quality, lower weight, smaller more agile car compared to the competition.
9. Awesome new engine and transmission sealed the deal and made this the perfect
car for me.
10. Mustang has always just fit my personality, I just can't see myself driving anything
else.
11. I would only consider a Camaro if Ford quit making the Mustang, otherwise I care
nothing for them, even though I concede they look pretty cool in the higher level
packages. They don't seem to take to after market wheels and customizing very
well, they look better stock.
12. The Challenger looks to much like an older car that has been customized, not to
mention it's huge, weighs a lot, has a crappy interior, and basically lives on the
"hemi" legend that is basically just an advertising gimick.
Old 5/1/10 | 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Because it's Ford. I refuse to give my money to GM (Government Motors).
What he said!
Old 5/1/10 | 09:41 PM

Challenger is heavy, big and expensive.
The Daewoo Camaro looks great from the outside, but the inside... seems to be designed for motor shows.
Mustang is better in almost every way, and cheaper...

Quick Reply: Out of the Big 3, why did you chose the Stang?