Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

One Dealers View...

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/08, 12:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One Dealers View...

Went with my buddy down to the Ford dealership. Some great deals on 08/09's with dealer pricing and rebate. I wish i would have waited, oh well.
Talking about the 10 and they said they were nervous. One of the salesman said he was in LA and was not impressed. He said many were wondering if this car will sell as good as the past. He said you could hear this on the live reveal people questioning this. The only thing he says is a plus is the interior quality and options offered but the car will get pricey with the options. Their biggest worry is it being underpowered with the camaro and challenger as competition. He said for some reason the car looked like it is made out of plastic. He was not fond of the black plastic,rear,hood. This guy was around 65 and had been selling Ford's for 30+ years. He said from what they heard about the 5.0 is the 400hp has been downgraded to about 375 but that was still in the air. But he did say that a lot of guys driving Honda's and Toyota's have been coming in asking about the 10, he said you do not see that much with the previous years. Im sure their worried about selling cars period as the place was dead and the inventory was packed. They had an 08 Dan Gurney for $50,999 down from $61,021. They had a couple Saleen's for $43,000.

Last edited by RedCandy5.0; 12/3/08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12/3/08, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Went with my buddy down to the Ford dealership. Some great deals on 08/09's with dealer pricing and rebate. I wish i would have waited, oh well.
Talking about the 10 and they said they were nervous. One of the salesman said he was in LA and was not impressed. He said many were wondering if this car will sell as good as the past. He said you could hear this on the live reveal people questioning this. The only thing he says is a plus is the interior quality and options offered but the car will get pricey with the options. Their biggest worry is it being underpowered with the camaro and challenger as competition. He said for some reason the car looked like it is made out of plastic. He was not fond of the black plastic,rear,hood. This guy was around 65 and had been selling Ford's for 30+ years. He said from what they heard about the 5.0 is the 400hp has been downgraded to about 375 but that was still in the air. But he did say that a lot of guys driving Honda's and Toyota's have been coming in asking about the 10, he said you do not see that much with the previous years. Im sure their worried about selling cars period as the place was dead and the inventory was packed. They had an 08 Dan Gurney for $50,999 down from $61,021. They had a couple Saleen's for $43,000.

While I'm in the same boat, as being at a Ford store, though I hold my opinions differently. I think the car will sell, but it will not be a repeat of the fall 2004, when it was IMPOSSIBLE to find any on dealers lots in manuals, and it was a backlog of orders. And with that, plan deals won't be a problem AT ALL. If a dealer says they won't accept X-Plan, go to the next closest one. I've already sold one X-Plan for someone (a fellow forum member), and its not a problem. The demand isn't there, as alot of us have our 2005-2009 cars and don't need the upgrade yet. Some (like myself) have put so much into our present cars, we can't trade them in, or sell them. I never though to do this anyhow, but I know some people may be thinking of it. That said, the 2011 will be more popular when the 302 comes back. I for one am EAGERLY waiting for the all-new 2014 model. Thats what I want.
Old 12/3/08, 01:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

"....I for one am EAGERLY waiting for the all-new 2014 model. Thats what I want. "

Exactly. That's why I snatched up my 09 BULLITT. To carry me through till 2013 when the 2014's will be released. Didn't like giving up my modded 07 Redfire, but the Mods clinched the deal, along with the fact that he was loaded with inventory.
Old 12/3/08, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My take on the 2010 is that it is for the up and coming 25 to 33 crowd. Those of us that supported and bought the 05+ "retro" pony are just old enough to have lusted after a '66 or '70. I think Ford did something right in the sense that they made the Mustang a bit more modern. Some call this trend "rice", but in truth, it is what the next generation of paying customers desires.

You see this with almost all toys. Hot Wheels is back in full swing, but now they have some dinosaur theme. GI Joe is back but all the vehicles have a space theme. Classics like Star Wars and the 1966 Fastback will always sell in the original trim, but "New Edge" and "Retro" have to come together at some point and it is apparently 2010. I believe things like the new steering wheel, sync, lighted door sills, lighted cup holder, and factory S/C will really appeal to the generation of people just exiting college. They grew up in a tech world and I don't see them leaving their IPods behind any time soon.

The unfortunate thing is that credit is becoming hard to obtain. The concept of adding another 100 HP for $3500 from the factory is great, until you get denied financing. I think the redesign is right, just that the market isn't really prepared to assist a bunch of kids with sports cars right now. I see a trend in the $17K to $21K commuter vehicles until the market swings back up and the banks cut loose with the credit lines.
Old 12/3/08, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
how anyone could not like that hood is beyond me. Sure the back plastic is a bit ehh but overall the styling in my opinion is MUCH better.
Old 12/3/08, 02:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
My take on the 2010 is that it is for the up and coming 25 to 33 crowd. Those of us that supported and bought the 05+ "retro" pony are just old enough to have lusted after a '66 or '70. I think Ford did something right in the sense that they made the Mustang a bit more modern. Some call this trend "rice", but in truth, it is what the next generation of paying customers desires.

You see this with almost all toys. Hot Wheels is back in full swing, but now they have some dinosaur theme. GI Joe is back but all the vehicles have a space theme. Classics like Star Wars and the 1966 Fastback will always sell in the original trim, but "New Edge" and "Retro" have to come together at some point and it is apparently 2010. I believe things like the new steering wheel, sync, lighted door sills, lighted cup holder, and factory S/C will really appeal to the generation of people just exiting college. They grew up in a tech world and I don't see them leaving their IPods behind any time soon.

The unfortunate thing is that credit is becoming hard to obtain. The concept of adding another 100 HP for $3500 from the factory is great, until you get denied financing. I think the redesign is right, just that the market isn't really prepared to assist a bunch of kids with sports cars right now. I see a trend in the $17K to $21K commuter vehicles until the market swings back up and the banks cut loose with the credit lines.
My girlfriend just bought a loaded 09 Milan AWD and had no problem getting credit. I think the credit issue is a little overblown.
Old 12/3/08, 03:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
My girlfriend just bought a loaded 09 Milan AWD and had no problem getting credit. I think the credit issue is a little overblown.
It is those without perfect credit that are noticing it.
Those that lived by credit will die by credit.
Old 12/3/08, 05:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
What a coincidence. My wife just bought a nice 08 Milan Premier 2 weeks ago and we had no problem getting financed for a screamin' deal. Of course, we have excellent credit scores, but even those people with less than perfect can still get financed (might just take some cash down).
Old 12/3/08, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Apologie, my comment on the credit was more in terms that the type of person interested in the changes for 2010 would have minimal credit history or potential issues with credit. I just bought my wife an 08 as well, no issues, but I'm old and it wasn't a Mustang.
Old 12/3/08, 08:21 PM
Banned

I think most car dealership salesmen are experiencing rough times these days. The economy is pretty much in the ****ter as we continue into a deep recession. My salesmen told me that he's been working at the same dealership selling cars for almost 30 years now (very surprising to me, considering the typical salesman turn-over) and that he's never once seen it nearly as bad as it has been lately. All in all, it's a pretty bad time to be a car salesman, from what I've been told. Hopefully for Ford, the 2010 Stang will boost sales for a while, but I certainly don't think it will be anywhere near the level of the '05 when it came out.

And actually, the 2010 already helped Ford sell some '09 models, at least in my case. I'm sure there are others like me who saw the 2010 and had to go buy an '09 before it was too late!
Old 12/4/08, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I for one am EAGERLY waiting for the all-new 2014 model. Thats what I want.
Okay, whats the scoop on this? Start a new thread with info?
Old 12/4/08, 07:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Godspeed01
Okay, whats the scoop on this? Start a new thread with info?
Scoop? Nothing that we don't already know. Its gonna be an all-new chassis, and all-new re-engineered and re-designed. Won't look anything like the S197s. I just want one as 2014 will be the 50th Anniversary year, and you know Ford will have a special package for it.
Old 12/4/08, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp

My take on the '10 is that it's for the 8 to 88 year old person,just like all the rest of all Mustangs and it's not exactly different enough to come up with a reasoning as to why Ford did this or that,to appeal to one generation over another. It's a Mustang,it looks like a Mustang,you can tell it's a Mustang from a mile away and by the way,you don't have to be a boomer to have wanted a S197. I think people are making too big a fuss over new headlights and etc.
Also,GIJoe hasn't had a space theme in about 20 years(and it was shot-lived) and Hot Wheels still sells regular car models,it's like the SN95 tagline..."it is what it was" or something. The '10 is barely different,i can tell,you can tell,but to the general non-Mustang obscessed person,it's barely a refresh in like in '99 Mustang terms,it's more like the '98 F-body refresh.
Old 12/4/08, 01:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How's this, A Retro, New Edge 2014 Mustang?

I had Originally Designed this in 95 when I learned about Fords New Edge Design Theme as a Replacement for the 94-99 Car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/4/08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12/4/08, 07:48 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TampaBear67

How's this, A Retro, New Edge 2014 Mustang?

I had Originally Designed this in 95 when I learned about Fords New Edge Design Theme as a Replacement for the 94-99 Car.
Nice drawing, but I NEVER want to see the new edge look on a Mustang again. Mustangs should look the way god intended them: advancements on the '64-'70 design aesthetic.
Old 12/4/08, 10:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Scoop? Nothing that we don't already know. Its gonna be an all-new chassis, and all-new re-engineered and re-designed. Won't look anything like the S197s. I just want one as 2014 will be the 50th Anniversary year, and you know Ford will have a special package for it.
That's why I'll be modding the snot out of the '05 till then.
Old 12/5/08, 06:47 AM
Cobra R Member

i dont know about the GT but that v6 is looking hot and i think it's going to sell
Old 12/5/08, 07:03 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Nice drawing, but I NEVER want to see the new edge look on a Mustang again. Mustangs should look the way god intended them: advancements on the '64-'70 design aesthetic.
. . and Fox notches!
Old 12/5/08, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
i dont know about the GT but that v6 is looking hot and i think it's going to sell
Indeed the V6 has always been the sales leader- good point. I think there is a much larger market for the 6 pot convertible too; "Secretary's car".
Old 12/5/08, 10:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Mustangs should look the way god intended them: advancements on the '64-'70 design aesthetic.
No truer words have been posted.