2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion

Old 1/15/12, 12:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
I believe its beeen posted in another forum, the 5 weight is there for the cold start. The oil pressure tensioners react differently to the thicker oil and if I remember right caused some problems for another Boss owner.
Oil pressure tensioner? I have never heard of an oil pressure tensionor. Do you mean timing chain tensioner? If you mean timing chain tensioner, they are caryovers from the Coyote. Timing chain tensioners do work off oil pressure and most problems with them are from low oil pressure.
Old 1/15/12, 12:08 PM
GT Member

yes i mean the timing chain oil pressure fed tensioners.........didnt know I had to be so **** precise..........and they are NOT carryovers........different part number for the boss.......regulated different........the oiling system is modified from stock 5.0 to the Boss....
Old 1/15/12, 12:25 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes i mean the timing chain oil pressure fed tensioners.........didnt know I had to be so **** precise..........and they are NOT carryovers........different part number for the boss.......regulated different........the oiling system is modified from stock 5.0 to the Boss....
No you don't understand... these ppl know more than Ford does
Old 1/15/12, 12:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
i like the way you think! LOL
Old 1/15/12, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

Chill out, I wasn't trying to be a ****. I genuinely wanted to know if that is what you are talking about. I have been wrenching for a long time and have never heard anyone refer to a timing chain tensioner as an oil tensioner. You are correct on the tensioner, they are different. I misread the source that I got the information from, that is what I get for posting at 5:00am after a 12 hour shift.

About some things I do LOL, just not Fords. We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I will say there is plenty of data, evidence, and real world experience to back up everything I have said about engine oil on here. I just like to encourage people to think outside the box.

I promise you that the concerns of engineers in choosing fully synthetic 5w50 in these cars was being able to meet the demands of driving these cars on the track under extreme conditions and having good flow for cold starts.

Like I said, we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by bolecailey; 1/16/12 at 04:09 AM.
Old 1/25/12, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

Not a bad price

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Hey guys I'm new here and I hope this doesn't start any Internet battles. Hahaha

Anyway, I've been using Lucas oil in my motorcycles for years now and love it. I noticed that MMP has been using lucas 20w50 full synthetic in their boss's.

Ford says 5w50. Now I don't claim to know what the difference is, not an oil expert.

Do you think there would be any issues switching to the Lucas? Car is warm garage stored in winter so it would be for warm weather driving, some cool temps but definitely no winter driving.

Thanks
Boss2300 CO
Just picked up two 6 packs of Mobil 1 5W50 from www.avlube.com, thought I would share the price, about $38 a 6 pack - for you midwest guys, your shipping will be a lot less than here in TX.

Your Order Item Cost 2 Mobil 1 5w50
Case of 6
quarts
$77.22 Subtotal: $77.22 Shipping: $25.86 Tax: $0.00 Total: $103.08
Old 1/25/12, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GGGforce
Just picked up two 6 packs of Mobil 1 5W50 from www.avlube.com, thought I would share the price, about $38 a 6 pack - for you midwest guys, your shipping will be a lot less than here in TX.

Your Order Item Cost 2 Mobil 1 5w50
Case of 6
quarts
$77.22 Subtotal: $77.22 Shipping: $25.86 Tax: $0.00 Total: $103.08
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 1/25/12, 03:10 PM
GT Member

Not to diss anyone, why not just buy the Ford oil?.........It's from the car manufacturer. Price...........most people on here have bought more sets of tires already than I will for the cars life.........price couldn't be a sticking point. LOL....... there are 40+ thousand dollar cars being used for track use mostly.
Old 1/25/12, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

Fair point Blazn, but this is about the price of Motorcraft oil and there'll be more money for tires now!
Old 1/25/12, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GGGforce
Fair point Blazn, but this is about the price of Motorcraft oil and there'll be more money for tires now!
About 99 pecent of guys on here and BMO buy stuff for their Boss like they bleed money, another 15 bucks for an oil change is a drop in a bucket. Compared to have a warranty problem later on with the chance of a ford rep saying "sorry......bad oil".......and you aint gonna sue ford......they will keep you in litigation forever.
Old 1/26/12, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

About 99 pecent of guys on here and BMO buy stuff for their Boss like they bleed money, another 15 bucks for an oil change is a drop in a bucket. Compared to have a warranty problem later on with the chance of a ford rep saying "sorry......bad oil".......and you aint gonna sue ford......they will keep you in litigation forever.
The majority, by far, of people who have extra income to buy luxury items didn't get there by spending 20% more on things of equal quality to a comprable item... Just because they can afford it doen'st mean they do it...

It has been said to run 5w50 synthetic oil. A manufacturer cannot tell a consumer to run a specific brand of anything. However what they can do is have certain industy requirements. As long as your item, part, whatever meets those standards nothing can be done. If something happens it is then the manufactures responsibility to PROVE that a non-oem item was THE reason for the failure.

I have a VERY hard time believeing that Ford would deny a warranty because you had 5w50 that meet the specs but was not Motorcraft. Other weights I am not as sure, but still would be surprised unless it was something way off or not to the standard/specs.
Old 1/26/12, 08:11 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

But if you fail to use the motorcraft filter they could blame it on the filter
Old 1/26/12, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
The majority, by far, of people who have extra income to buy luxury items didn't get there by spending 20% more on things of equal quality to a comprable item... Just because they can afford it doesn't mean they do it...

It has been said to run 5w50 synthetic oil. A manufacturer cannot tell a consumer to run a specific brand of anything. However what they can do is have certain industy requirements. As long as your item, part, whatever meets those standards nothing can be done. If something happens it is then the manufactures responsibility to PROVE that a non-oem item was THE reason for the failure.

I have a VERY hard time believeing that Ford would deny a warranty because you had 5w50 that meet the specs but was not Motorcraft. Other weights I am not as sure, but still would be surprised unless it was something way off or not to the standard/specs.
We finally agree on something!

Ford wouldn't deny warranty work if someone was found to be using Mobil 1 5w50.

On the other hand, I would like someone to explain how Ford can deny warranty work if someone uses another oil filter other than Motorcraft.
Old 1/26/12, 01:24 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03

On the other hand, I would like someone to explain how Ford can deny warranty work if someone uses another oil filter other than Motorcraft.
Because Ford can blame it on multiple things. Faulty drain back valve, not enough filter media, too restrictive, not a high enough micron rating, too low of a bypass valve pressure release, any of these
Old 1/26/12, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your wrong...........I've worked as a mechanic for two Ford dealerships and warranty HAS been denied because of oil & filter types.

I've been there and have seen it so you can't say that Ford wouldn't. And a later post is correct about check valves, filter paper type etc. So, saving 20% for oil to go by a new grill, sticky tires, so on and so on is russian roulete.............pay the price, get what will CYA and life is easy.
Old 1/26/12, 04:57 PM
GT Member

Because Ford can blame it on multiple things. Faulty drain back valve, not enough filter media, too restrictive, not a high enough micron rating, too low of a bypass valve pressure release, any of these
Absolutly!
Old 1/26/12, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your wrong...........I've worked as a mechanic for two Ford dealerships and warranty HAS been denied because of oil & filter types.
Then your dealership is full of d-bags.
Old 1/26/12, 11:55 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

No..... there are a lot of cheaply built filters out there.
Old 1/27/12, 02:28 AM
GT Member

No more than the d-bags that don't know how to take care of an engine. If you owned a company and had to warranty mishaps due to others negligence and foot the bill for repair, which includes all other costs (building maitenance, services, employee benifits, etc ) you would understand why they need to not let irresponsible people dig money out your pockets. It's a big dollar business...........with big dollar upkeep too!
Old 1/27/12, 06:06 AM
V6 Member

And all I was trying to do was share a good deal on some Mobil 1! It's good oil, pretty hard to refute that, and use a Motorcraft filter...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion