oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/14, 06:26 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Here's the OEM Boss filter, sorry I don't have a side by side with the RP;
Oh I believe ya... I was just joking about the can comment

Also fwiw, I'm also an Amsoil lover based on word of mouth, research, and experience. No other synth oil touches it, IMO.
Old 1/7/14, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
RP didn't used to be, but here it is;

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-amsoil-3.html

I don't know where all the hate comes from for Amsoil. Don't like their business model or the way the advertise? Fine, buy something else. I did my research after finding out about the specific RP oil I bought wasn't was I thought it was, and decided on Amsoil. I would bet you a beer the test results will be superior to the Royal Purple.

Thanks for posting that other link Brandon, those are my test results on line 8 & 9.

A lot of people are surprised when they read about the viscosity standards have a very liberal scale, and varies depending upon the manufacturer. So while Ford specs 50 weight on the factory fill, Motorcraft quickly shears to a 40 weight. Every oil change I get analyzed, and will have to wait about another year before my Amsoil fill, as I still 8 bottles of RP on the shelf (yes I know I need 8.5, will have to get another qt this spring).
LOL...it's from amsoil. What the hell did you think it was going to say?

It doesn't really matter; you can use whatever you want to. I do have a problem when people disseminate false information, especially about vehicular motor oils, because there's already so much disinformation (such as your post) out there. It's group IV PAO-based. All of it. I ran analyses on their base oils and their high-end oils. All of it was group IV based oil. No, I didn't get them from RP directly, I bought them off the shelves--one out of each of five stores. All five tested identically. Group IV Polyalphaolefin based oils.

I have a 2013 Shelby that I drive as often as I can and will be taking it to as many tracks and events as I can. Do you honestly think I'm going to trust $70k of go-fast to anything that I haven't verified? Like I said, you can use what you want to. You're making your decision based on faulty information, however.
Old 1/7/14, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all good man, go ahead and tell me I'm spreading dis-information. It's the internet. You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. Let's save the take no prisoner flame wars about what is/isn't the truth about how Royal Purple cheaped out on their formula on the lower end grades of their Synthetic oil just like Mobil 1 did for a bobistheoilguy forum thread. There are a ton of threads/posts on this with test results from other labs like Blackstone that have no bias as one may legitimately suspect from OAI.

At the end of the day, I really don't think it matters much whether it's a 'true synthetic' or a lower grade hydro-cracked based formula. 99.9999% of consumers aren't racing at the Indy 500.

Why do you feel the need to mention how much your Shelby cost? Does it somehow give you more cred than if you were just expressing your personal opinion on a base V6?
Old 1/7/14, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want the good royal purple you need to get the HPS- high performance street or the XPR- extreme performance racing oil as they still have the synerlec in it. They cheaped out on the regular stuff to meet dexos 1 performance requirements(stupid chevy making their own oil). I was pissed when I changed it last and realized their regilar royal purple didn't have it in there anymore. The synerlec is what makes the royal purple great. I'll have to order it online next time I go to change it as no stores carry the HPS around here. More stores had started carrying the regular stuff but that doesn't do me any good now lol
Old 1/7/14, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
here's what I found on another forum of a guy who actually talked to royal purple
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...urple-oil.html

turns out they changed the API which happens every so many years, so royal purple needed to conform to the standard. he basically says the synerlec has the potential to ruin cats due to whats in oil in terms of amount of zinc etc etc that is in the additives. no cats means no problems with synerlec. synerlec is what gives royal purple is awesome wear protection though. enjoy the read I did