2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Oil Change at 8200...

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/11, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Change at 8200...

i have 7/32s on front tires & 5/32s on rear tires, dealer recommend replacing the tires at the next oil change with they scheduled for 11,000 miles

i have done spirited driving, but defiantly not ***** to the wall burnouts, i honestly haven't done a burnout in this lol

what were the original specs for these tires, i have the std 18" rims with the pzeros
Old 4/27/11, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
dam! tires start out with 10 to 11 32 on them as far as I know. Use them untill they get down to the wear bars between the treads. I think that is around 2 or 3/32. Don't buy tires from the dealership until you have done some price comparisons. As I am sure you know they usally over charge for things.
Old 4/27/11, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummmm...why not rotate them to even out the wear and Maximize your use ?

I plan to rotate mine every 4K....
Old 4/27/11, 11:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Don't buy tires from the dealership until you have done some price comparisons. As I am sure you know they usally over charge for things.
FYI, most Ford dealers have "Quick Lanes" that specialize in oil changes, but are also tire stores. More importantly, most price match tire prices. I priced up my last tires on www.tirerack.com and www.discounttire.com, printed their prices, and the local Ford dealer's Quick Lane matched the best deal and handled my rebate paperwork (there was a $100 rebate being offered by the tire company at the time).
Old 4/27/11, 08:20 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
i have 7/32s on front tires & 5/32s on rear tires, dealer recommend replacing the tires at the next oil change with they scheduled for 11,000 miles

i have done spirited driving, but defiantly not ***** to the wall burnouts, i honestly haven't done a burnout in this lol

what were the original specs for these tires, i have the std 18" rims with the pzeros
Pffftt... depends on how you feel about tires but Glen is correct, most likely the tires began life with 10/32nd's of tread life.

Every tire manufacturer on the planet will tell you that the minimum tread depth for a tire is when it reaches 2/32nd's (matter o' fact a bar is molded into the tire to let you know when that limit is reached).

Now depending on who you talk to, some people consider anything less than 4/32nd's to be unsafe since wet weather performance is effected.

You would think that tire manufacturers would be all over this since its a win for them - reduced mileaged warranties (by 10-20k) and sell more tires more often, even tires that have very well cared for.

I know Michelin's stance is that they do not reccomend replacing the tire till it reaches 2/32nd's of tread depth (Michlelin owns BFGoodrich BTW if you have BFG's on your car) and this is from the same company that doesn't reccomend rotating tires with more than 2/32nd's of tread depth differnce unless the lower tread depth tires are going to the front, they also reccomend replacing all 4 tires at the same time.

So if these guys aren't jumping on the 4/32nd's or less is unsafe then its probably not a big deal.

My advice would be to monitor your tire wear and when one set of tires on an axle reaches 2/32nds of tread depth (irregardless of the mileage you have recieved) then replace all four since the others wont be far behind. You dont need a tread depth gauge to tell when they get there, bars will appear or alternatively you can use lincoln's head on a penny as thats supposed to be 2/32nd's from his wig to the OD of the coin or just go buy a depth gauge.
Old 4/28/11, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
You dont need a tread depth gauge to tell when they get there, bars will appear or alternatively you can use lincoln's head on a penny as thats supposed to be 2/32nd's from his wig to the OD of the coin or just go buy a depth gauge.
Lincoln wore a wig?
Old 4/28/11, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Lincoln wore a wig?
Only when he modeled for the penny.....
Old 4/28/11, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
FYI, most Ford dealers have "Quick Lanes" that specialize in oil changes, but are also tire stores. More importantly, most price match tire prices. I priced up my last tires on www.tirerack.com and www.discounttire.com, printed their prices, and the local Ford dealer's Quick Lane matched the best deal and handled my rebate paperwork (there was a $100 rebate being offered by the tire company at the time).
Thats my point you wouldn't have gotten the best deal without doing some price comparisons first. Correct? You always have to do your homework.
Old 4/28/11, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Ummmm...why not rotate them to even out the wear and Maximize your use ?

I plan to rotate mine every 4K....
depends on what kind of driver you are. Don't rotate and say your fronts wear out on the on inside before your rear tires are even close to needing to be replaced. You can get away with buying just two tires at a time instead of all 4 at once.
Someone else said what do you need a tread depth gauge for? You can watch you tread across each tire and adjust tire pressure accordingly so you have even tread wear. It will also help you see that your front tires on your 05-09 will wear out on the inside treads first if that problem does exist. I highly recommend a tread depth gauge no mater what car you drive..... fleebay FTW

Last edited by Glenn; 4/29/11 at 05:49 AM.
Old 4/28/11, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's crazy. I've got about 21,000 miles on mine so far, and still 6/32" tread all around...never been rotated.