Sponsored By:

Offical RTR wheel info thread

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/10, 01:59 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Offical RTR wheel info thread

Ok the demand for info on this site has been so high for the RTR wheels I asked my friends over there to make up a little thing I could post over here about the wheels:

Please mention you saw this thread on the Mustang Source when inquiring.

John Phillips
866-624-7997
john@mustangrtr.com

Offset: 33
Hub:70.5

Originally Posted by Ford Racing/Mustang RTR
2011 Ford Mustang GT RTR by Vaughn Gittin Jr.

Vaughn Gittin Jr. is intimately familiar with extracting every last bit of performance from the Ford Mustang, so it's no surprise the FoMoCo has tapped the Formula Drifting ace to create a limited edition
Mustang RTR, a new dealer-installed package for the 2011 Ford Mustang, delivers performance and appearance upgrades for spirited driving. The package was introduced by Vaughn Gittin Jr., driver of the Monster Energy/Falken Tire 2011 Mustang GT in the Formula Drift series
The RTR package comes complete with Ford Racing M Falken FK-452 tires, unique 19-inch wheels, and RTR-exclusive interior details and striping scheme, and is available at select dealerships
The introduction of Mustang RTR also plays off the success Gittin is enjoying on the Formula Drift circuit. Winner of the season-opening Long Beach event and runner-up in Atlanta, he has a significant points lead in this year's Formula Drift championship

CONTEXT / BACKGROUND
Professional driver Vaughn Gittin Jr. knows what Mustangs can do – and he wanted to share that knowledge with Mustang enthusiasts who appreciate the car's power and capability. Mustang RTR is Gittin Jr.'s vision for introducing a new generation of owners to Mustang, while catering to traditional Mustang enthusiasts. He helped develop the RTR package, which provides performance and appearance upgrades, to allow pony car lovers to make the most of their driving experience.

DETAILS

The 2011 Ford Mustang is known for its incredible performance and impressive looks, and now there's a new package that takes those qualities one step further – Mustang RTR. The dealer-installed package from Vaughn Gittin Jr., driver of the Monster Energy/Falken Tire 2011 Mustang GT in Formula Drift, and Ford Racing Performance Parts, is aimed toward a new generation of Mustang owners.

The performance upgrade comes with Ford Racing calibration with a high-flow filter and high-performance Falken FK-452 tires, which offer precise handling from five linear ribs and three-dimensional rounded blocks. Stiffer, wide steel belts offer greater tread rigidity, superior grip and high-speed stability, and high-tension carcass and high turn-up construction increase handling response and high-speed stability.

Other performance upgrades include:
Unique Mustang RTR 19x9.5-inch wheels
Ford Racing mufflers
Ford Racing handling pack (performance-tuned dampers, bars and springs)

Mustang RTR commands attention with unique styling that is highlighted by a chin spoiler with splitter and supports, rocker splitters, a rear diffuser and aluminum rear spoiler. A distinctive Mustang RTR stripe scheme adds more distinction. The interior showcases RTR-exclusive floor mats, shifter **** and emblems.

The package was designed and manufactured in partnership with Michigan-based Classic Design Concepts, which has a reputation for quality and style. The Mustang RTR package is available at select dealerships for the 2011 Mustang GT. A Mustang V-6 package will be available in late 2010. For more information on the Mustang RTR package, visit www.mustangrtr.com.

Taking the lead
The introduction of Mustang RTR also plays off the success Gittin is enjoying in Formula Drift, with a significant lead in the championship point standings. Driving the Monster Energy/ Falken Tire 2011 Ford Mustang GT, Gittin took first place at the opening competition in Long Beach, Calif., and most recently placed second at Road Atlanta.

"Vaughn's goal was to introduce an exciting new package to the Mustang world that resonates with both the younger audience and with traditional muscle car enthusiasts as well. Mustang RTR achieves that goal with ease and illustrates how universal Mustang's appeal is."
– Mickey Matus, Ford Performance Group marketing manager
Old 7/19/10, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

i really loved these wheels when i saw them and really want them for my car but they are becoming way too popular and just about everyone with aftermarket wheels has them. I think the reason for aftermarket wheels is to stand out from the rest so now im not sure if I want them anymore
Old 7/19/10, 02:17 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 20115.0
i really loved these wheels when i saw them and really want them for my car but they are becoming way too popular and just about everyone with aftermarket wheels has them. I think the reason for aftermarket wheels is to stand out from the rest so now im not sure if I want them anymore
This.

Shaun tell John to quit selling my wheels. I've become passé and I've only had the wheels 2 weeks!
Old 7/19/10, 02:17 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

people on this site have them. Try finding them at your local car cruise..........................

I live in Detroit (home of the RTR program, Ford etc) and have never seen another set on the road and get loads of compliments every time I take the car out.
Old 7/19/10, 02:19 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
They do have a long way to go before they overtake the likes of the Razors. And they'll never reach Bullitt wheel status.
Old 7/20/10, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who cares? Mustangs are a dime a dozen, and individuality doesn't come from cars I have wheels that no one else with a Mustang has had that I've seen, and it means nothing to me. In fact, I'd rather go back to mesh (the MRR GT1s that oodles of other people have as well).

Not to mention that the popularity of these pony cars is what gives us such an awesome aftermarket. Just enjoy it and build something YOU love.

Last edited by BlueSkyVert; 7/20/10 at 06:37 AM.
Old 7/20/10, 06:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
One issue is that the aftermarket wheels for the S197...umm... usually stink (purely my personal opinion!!) The way I see it, the off set limitations of these cars makes from some cheesy looking rims...the "deep dish" looking wheels with the artifically extended lip look gawd-awful.

Looking through the wheel selection of American Muscle and other vendors is an exercise in vomit suppression.

These RTR wheels on the other hand, are one of the few very natural looking wheel styles that compliment the styling of the Mustang and don't appear to be trying too hard. I think it's a style that resonates with a lot of people...and if they're not on every other Mustang, it's ONLY because they're pricey.

Thanks for the information run-down, Stinger- hopefully this will save you from answering 300 PMs about them.
Old 7/20/10, 06:54 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by MRGTX
One issue is that the aftermarket wheels for the S197...umm... usually stink (purely my personal opinion!!) The way I see it, the off set limitations of these cars makes from some cheesy looking rims...the "deep dish" looking wheels with the artifically extended lip look gawd-awful.

Looking through the wheel selection of American Muscle and other vendors is an exercise in vomit suppression.

These RTR wheels on the other hand, are one of the few very natural looking wheel styles that compliment the styling of the Mustang and don't appear to be trying too hard. I think it's a style that resonates with a lot of people...and if they're not on every other Mustang, it's ONLY because they're pricey.

Thanks for the information run-down, Stinger- hopefully this will save you from answering 300 PMs about them.
First off I agree with your opinion. Very few aftermarket wheels seem to look right on the S-197.

and hopefully this post can give the ctrl-c and ctrl-v on my keyboard a rest LOL
Old 7/20/10, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I personally haven't seen another set of these wheels around here so far. Wasn't so sure at the beginning, but when i saw Shaun's car i knew i had to have them. They're growing more and more on me everyday.
Old 7/20/10, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think you have to keep in mind that if you want to stand out so much from the crowd with aftermarket wheels, you will have to have them built to your own taste by some specialized wheel company. And of course the price you'll pay will be outrageous. For the average Joe, we're not willing to pay that much money and don't mind seeing them on another car once in a while.
Old 7/20/10, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

28lbs

Here's the thing tho, these RTR wheels might be going onto a mustang right now... But the VMR V710, of which they are, are HUGE with Euro models- Namely, Audi, BMW and VW. I've seen many a set.
If one wants to talk to Chris over at VMR he'll inform you on how popular they've been.

So are they unique to the mustang, perhaps, to the car industry- no.
Old 7/20/10, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
28lbs

Here's the thing tho, these RTR wheels might be going onto a mustang right now... But the VMR V710, of which they are, are HUGE with Euro models- Namely, Audi, BMW and VW. I've seen many a set.
If one wants to talk to Chris over at VMR he'll inform you on how popular they've been.

So are they unique to the mustang, perhaps, to the car industry- no.

Talked to the guy that sells the V710 wheels in California, he says that if i wanted to get a set, he'd have to have them machined to fit the Mustang bolt pattern, which was additionnal cost of course.
Old 7/20/10, 02:53 PM
Cobra R Member

right, which is why they cost anywhere from $800-1000. You're paying 1200. So they can machine it and give you some caps.

http://www.pyspeed.com/VMR-V710-Whee...p/vmr-8009.htm

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 7/20/10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 7/20/10, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

They seem to stick out too close to the fender from the pics I've seen
Old 7/20/10, 05:12 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Adam2004
They seem to stick out too close to the fender from the pics I've seen

They do look great, though, IMO.
Old 7/20/10, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
right, which is why they cost anywhere from $800-1000. You're paying 1200. So they can machine it and give you some caps.

http://www.pyspeed.com/VMR-V710-Whee...p/vmr-8009.htm
Holy CRAP I love them in hypersilver! WOW! Stunning for sure.
Old 7/20/10, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

i wish i could get them in the black, why only gunmetal for our mustangs???
Old 7/21/10, 01:00 AM
GT Member

Agreed. Black would be awsome!
Old 7/21/10, 05:48 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

i wish i could get them in the black, why only gunmetal for our mustangs???
RTR paid for the tooling for the Mustang bolt pattern, and they decided to offer a finish that is not available on normal 710's.

They are what they are guys.

You can get any wheel redrilled for a bolt pattern but I wont run them on my car. I will not use multi bolt pattern wheels either (too many holes in the bolt circle) as I dont trust wheels with weak bolt circles.

See if you get a warranty on re-drilled wheels.........................
Where as RTR products come backed by Ford Racing Warranties etc.

Last edited by Stinger1982; 7/21/10 at 06:02 AM.
Old 7/21/10, 05:55 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

28lbs
what difference does this make?

Its a STREET wheel.
Are you trying to shave a tenth of your drive to work?

You OEM 19" wheels weigh more I will bet (your wheel style is very heavy)

no so they can pay for tool to have these CAST not machined in the proper bolt pattern.

not sure if your aware of this but businesses are in the business of making money, so you need to cover expenses and make some profit or you go out of business. Any time you make a tooloing change at a plant it cost $$$$$$$$$$$ and if your selling smaller volume the cost per unit is higher. So yea they are a couple of bucks more then an existing VMR, but its for a reason. $300/wheel for 19x9.5's is pretty **** cheap esp when you consider RTR products are backed by Ford Racing and carry full warranties.

Last edited by Stinger1982; 7/21/10 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Offical RTR wheel info thread