Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Not liking the Hurst Short Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/15, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Not liking the Hurst Short Shift kit

Hey there,

Just checking in to complain and see (anyone else who has this set up) about the Hurst Short Shift kit.

When I bought the stang, it had this kit already installed, I read about it, and knew about it not having the reverse lock out feature, and getting use to not putting it into reverse at a stop accidently since it's closely spaced.

I did get use to that aspect, but my issue with this shifter, is it's hard shifts from 1-2nd gear.

Sometimes is just doesn't want to do it, it will just want to slide into 4th.... And it's very clunky, when it does go 1st-2nd..... it's been embarrassing on occasion with some quick high revving shifts, from 1st-2nd gear.

Now my question is this:

1) is this shift skip? If so, should that not be eliminated with by Steeda tune? And the hurst set up?
2) anyone with this shift have the same 1st - 2nd gear clunky miss shift issues?
3) anything I can do to make it better? ie: mounts, boots, brackets etc?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Hurst and getting the Barton or the Steeda kit.

Old 5/1/15, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rams Eleven GT
Hey there,

Just checking in to complain and see (anyone else who has this set up) about the Hurst Short Shift kit.

When I bought the stang, it had this kit already installed, I read about it, and knew about it not having the reverse lock out feature, and getting use to not putting it into reverse at a stop accidently since it's closely spaced.

I did get use to that aspect, but my issue with this shifter, is it's hard shifts from 1-2nd gear.

Sometimes is just doesn't want to do it, it will just want to slide into 4th.... And it's very clunky, when it does go 1st-2nd..... it's been embarrassing on occasion with some quick high revving shifts, from 1st-2nd gear.

Now my question is this:

1) is this shift skip? If so, should that not be eliminated with by Steeda tune? And the hurst set up?
2) anyone with this shift have the same 1st - 2nd gear clunky miss shift issues?
3) anything I can do to make it better? ie: mounts, boots, brackets etc?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Hurst and getting the Barton or the Steeda kit.

No, that's not the skip shift functionality, I don't think. Since you're having the same problems that many of us had with the stock shifter, my guess is that Hurst kit didn't really solve the shortcomings the stock one has. Dump the Hurst, forget the Barton and the Steeda, and go with the MGW. It doesn't just replace the bracket but the whole shifter and the guys that have it rave about it. I'd have one but don't have enough issue with the stock one to justify the $600+ cost to the wife
Old 5/1/15, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

There is only one shifter that eliminates all shifting problems, MGW, it has a horizonial gate adjustment, so one can adjust the Shifter so it is smooth and precise! Expensive but the best! I had a Hurst not good!!!!
Old 5/1/15, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the MGW and it's hands down the best mod I've ever purchased on a car until I get myself a blower. No shift issues whatsoever since putting it in.
Old 5/2/15, 07:43 AM

thanks guys, I'll check it out, the hurst seems to have resolved the 2nd-3rd issue of the stock shift, but this 1st to 2nd issue, is a pain.

So side note, what does eliminate the 1st to 4th skip shift?
Old 5/2/15, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
MGW here and like said above it is hands down the best money spent on the car.
And for the skip shift I just unplugged it.
Old 5/2/15, 08:04 AM

unplugged it at the tranny? I saw a vid on youtube showing a guy taking the wire out.
Old 5/2/15, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wvtrain
There is only one shifter that eliminates all shifting problems, MGW, it has a horizonial gate adjustment, so one can adjust the Shifter so it is smooth and precise! Expensive but the best! I had a Hurst not good!!!!

I'll disagree with that. MGW may be a great product. There are many other ones out there as well. I use the Barton short throw shifter with the 2 Post barton bracket. I haven't had any shifting issues evolving around lockout or any notchyness of any sort while WOT in 1,2,3,4 gear.