2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Nobody Wants to Sell Me a Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/11, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
I was shocked at how easy it was to deal with a local BMW dealer. He went straight to the invoice. This was certainly not the attitude a few years ago.
I was dead-set to get a 328i coupe before I ordered my Mustang. But the BMW dealer here wouldn't budge more than $1500 off a $41,000 sticker. Fail. They were also complete ****s and told me I would have to replace the windshield in my car before they could "accept it as a trade" (my car is in immaculate condition except for a pencil-eraser size chip in my windshield that has been there for years and isn't running).

When I was leaving the dealership, I was like, "Um, aren't you even going to give me a business card?" She was like "Oh, yeah."

Complete lack of customer service combined with a brutally arrogant attitude. Totally soured my opinion of BMW and Rick Hendrick chain dealerships.

So I went to a locally-owned Ford dealership and got great service, a nice deal, and have an awesome vehicle on the way that a 328i can't even hope to hold a candle to.
Old 5/18/11, 08:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

3 dealerships on the east coast offered to sell me a 2011 or order me a 2012 for $300-$500 UNDER invoice. Just keep searching.
If I didn't decide on a 5XR I would've ordered a 2012.
Old 5/18/11, 08:54 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justindo
Perhaps I am expecting too much. Still, I find it odd that I can get 15% off MSRP on a custom ordered BMW 335is or Porsche Cayman S while I can't even get a Ford Mustang at invoice.
Yes, Ford doesn't mark there cars up as much as BMW and Porsche. Ford has been very tight on allocation of Mustangs so the demand is very high on these cars right now so there is no reason for them to give it away.

MSRP on the Mustang is a great price, you can't buy anything else for that price and have as good as car. Not saying you should pay MSRP but anything below is well worth the money.
Old 5/18/11, 08:57 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Sheriff
One thing to keep in mind concerning e-mail quote requests, there are some people that have nothing better to do then to send in bogus quote requests. Due to this behavior a number of dealers have become jaded with e-mail inquiries & are less likely to take them seriously & respond to you. Good luck.
Exactly what I was trying to say, but you worded it better than I did thanks!
Old 5/18/11, 09:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD6
Exactly what I was trying to say, but you worded it better than I did thanks!
Glad I could help for a change.
Old 5/18/11, 09:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Below invoice, good luck.

Try xplan if anything.
Got mine for $1,775 under invoice. It can be done.
Old 5/18/11, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

So far I've gotten two responses, both above invoice.
Don't forget, invoice, as listed at Edmunds etc., does not include the $486 Advertising fees every dealer pays on every car. It's a real cost to the dealer so be sure to factor into your offers..
Old 5/18/11, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by r1rider98
Got mine for $1,775 under invoice. It can be done.
on a brand new factory order? before rebates? thats the best deal i have ever heard of congrats on working that one

in the northeast market price is 100-200 above invoice on a new factory order

Last edited by xlover; 5/18/11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 5/18/11, 09:46 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hes talking about after rebates or D-plan.
Old 5/18/11, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the email method, but I never got anywhere with it. Well, I take that back, a small dealership was very accommodating with email. The big one (Galpin) just wanted to get me on the phone and talk me into coming into the dealership so they could impress me with what they had on the lot - I already knew they didn't have what I wanted on the lot.

I recently heard of 2 car sites that dealers HATE - TRUECAR.COM and CARWOO.COM. The carwoo basically is like Priceline - send it out to the dealerships and they will compete back and forth for your business. I hear it is fun to watch. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 5/18/11, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

I bought my car for a little under invoice from Galpin from Carlos in internet sales. I have referred friends who have also purchased from Carlos. All of us seem happy with the experience.

Perhaps there is a problem with getting a price on custom ordering. Galpin has a huge inventory, perhaps you can find what you are looking for on the lot. I would recommend sending him an email directly. Feel free to let him know that Eric from Bakersfield referred you.

Ultimately I hope you can get a car that makes you happy for a price that you can feel good about. When it comes to a $40k car, I don't understand blowing off a deal for a few hundred. But, to each their own.
Old 5/18/11, 11:59 AM

I called a local dealership asking to test drive a particularly set up 2011/2012 Mustang GT. They didn't have what I wanted but the sales guy flat out told me if you want a car from us I'll sell it to you at invoice.

So I bought the car for invoice - rebates whenever it gets here. No negotiation needed. I probably could have found somewhere to take another few hundred off but I doubt it was worth my time to go looking around when I had an easy offer on the table.
Old 5/18/11, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
...For the poster who asked, here are a couple recent quick and dirty pics of my garage queen Challenger R/T Classic (de-striped). They don't do it justice, as it's a beautiful car.

Old 5/18/11, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand your being upset, but you should try going to a dealeship close to your home. Find a salesman that has been on the floor longer then 20 minutes (they seem to have a heck of a turnover) and let him know you are a serious buyer and not a tire kicker. Or contact one of the sales people on this forum. I am sure they would be happy to help.

I was frustrated, like you, until I got in contact with an actual person.
Old 5/18/11, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdogface
I called a local dealership asking to test drive a particularly set up 2011/2012 Mustang GT. They didn't have what I wanted but the sales guy flat out told me if you want a car from us I'll sell it to you at invoice.

So I bought the car for invoice - rebates whenever it gets here. No negotiation needed. I probably could have found somewhere to take another few hundred off but I doubt it was worth my time to go looking around when I had an easy offer on the table.
Thats a good deal. Congrats.
Old 5/18/11, 04:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modshack
Don't forget, invoice, as listed at Edmunds etc., does not include the $486 Advertising fees every dealer pays on every car. It's a real cost to the dealer so be sure to factor into your offers..
Doesn't Edmunds address the advertising fees specifically? When I was shopping I thought I saw it included (and explained) in their pricing reports.
Old 5/18/11, 05:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I had a similar experience to the OP. As I described in my thread ("Most painless switch from 2011 to 2012 GT" or similar) I described my frustration with dealer apathy. And this was with a dealer I'd bought my $41K+ GT 'vert from a year ago so they know me and my car and know that I am not just kicking tires. It took over 4 days to actually get someone to call me back, find out what I needed, and then get me an x-plan price. And that was after I'd filled out the "CONTACT ME" info on the dealer's web page.

I've found similar apathy at other Ford dealers, but they have a little excuse since they dont "know" me. Maybe it's a new "low pressure" sales philosophy Ford is trying out? Sorry, but it's a little bit TOO low...
Old 5/18/11, 06:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealership (Citrus Ford in Ontario, CA) can get you one for $200 over invoice. But see if you like Brian's deal first. I don't wanna take any business from him. He's the man
Old 5/18/11, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
My dealership (Citrus Ford in Ontario, CA) can get you one for $200 over invoice. But see if you like Brian's deal first. I don't wanna take any business from him. He's the man
+1. I ordered my '11 GT through his dealership last year. Brian wasn't my sales guy, but he's always in the communication loop and he tracked my car through the build process, and kept me informed. What I find most awesome is that they have people on staff that are just as passionate about Mustangs as we are, and it shows.

It just takes time to find the right dealer that has the right staff. When I was shopping to order my '11, I had to walk out of the local dealerships near where I live because they wouldn't take me seriously, or were completely clueless. One didn't have the order guide yet despite it having been here on the forums for weeks. Had I known about the dealership Brian works at before hand, I would have gone straight to him.
Old 5/18/11, 09:00 PM

I spent a few months looking around online and contacting dealerships via email looking for a deal. Then invested some face time at the dealership I decided to go with. Walked away after negotiating for a few of hours; my sales guy said they couldnt go any lower and even threw in a few guilt trips about having to come in on his day off and not making any money on the deal. He called me two days later and said they'd take another 500 off. Got my 2011 GT premium for $3200 below invoice with discounts. I think what helped me was shopping around a lot, being able to walk away from a great deal and spending some time at the dealership. Be patient, invest some time and you'll get a great deal.

Quick Reply: Nobody Wants to Sell Me a Mustang!