Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Next Gen Wish/Fix-it list

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/08, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by max2000jp
If the IRS rear package was designed for inception to be lightweight, I doubt it would add much weight overall. On the Cobra, the IRS rear accounted for a 125 lb reduction in unsprung weight which is huge for the overall dynamics of the vehicle.

The problem with a lot of Mustang owners is they equate the Cobra IRS to a modern IRS system. The Cobra's IRS was an afterthought and not the best designed system. From everything I've read of the "swing blade" setup, it should be great in the S197 chassi.
Control blade would probably be great in most anything. The adaptability of a multi-link setup...because it is a multi-link setup....with phenomenal space savings due to the innovative shock and spring layout, a by product of which is ease of tuning and increased effectiveness. It truly is to IRS what MacStruts are to IFS, a design which, when well executed, performs phenomenally well for little cost and with the added benefit of great packaging.
Old 4/3/08, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the IRS rear package was designed for inception to be lightweight, I doubt it would add much weight overall. On the Cobra, the IRS rear accounted for a 125 lb reduction in unsprung weight which is huge for the overall dynamics of the vehicle.
I think it is always critical to bear in mind when discussing overall and particularly weight issues in regard to an IRS is, which weight, overall or unsprung. Each has a very different and disproportionate effects on vehicle performance.

Overall weight will tend to be marginally higher with a good IRS, perhaps on the order of 50-100lbs over a live axle. The main negative effect of that, as in any vehicle weight gain, might be a loss of .1 seconds in the 1/4 mile on a smooth, straight track (where suspension capability is negligible at best). A live axle does have some small performance advantage in a few very specific circumstances such as stop light and drag racing.

Unsprung weight, or the huge reduction thereof, is one of the key benefits of an IRS over a live axle and the per pound beneficial effect of that weight loss on overall vehicle performance far exceeds the nominal negatives of gains in overall weight. The 50lbs/wheel reduction in unsprung weight will, overall, have a hugely greater positive benefit than the 50-100 lb saved in overall weight by a live axle. The small acceleration losses incurred on a drag strip can be more than recouped by the greatly enhanced ability to put power down in rough and tumble real world roads. There will also be far less of a ride penalty for any given level of suspension performance too and the added compliance and ability to maintain grip and speed in the real world would equate to higher and safer performance (less chance to get bucked off a bumpy turn). An IRS is simply far more broadly capable in a number of measures in a far wider range of driving situations.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/3/08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 4/3/08, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
I think it is always critical to bear in mind when discussing overall and particularly weight issues in regard to an IRS is, which weight, overall or unsprung. Each has a very different and disproportionate effects on vehicle performance.

Overall weight will tend to be marginally higher with a good IRS, perhaps on the order of 50-100lbs over a live axle. The main negative effect of that, as in any vehicle weight gain, might be a loss of .1 seconds in the 1/4 mile on a smooth, straight track (where suspension capability is negligible at best). A live axle does have some small performance advantage in a few very specific circumstances such as stop light and drag racing.
I did some reading on the Australian “control blade” IRS and Ford’s own press released down there stated it’s only slightly heavier than a SRA. It’s also been tested using the 5.4L engine, which down there almost makes 400hp.

I think that this is the answer for the Mustang.
Old 4/4/08, 10:22 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
mayabe 25-50 pounds heavier on a properly desinged set-up I have read elsewhere, generally speaking.
Old 4/4/08, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by bob
mayabe 25-50 pounds heavier on a properly designed set-up I have read elsewhere, generally speaking.
Yeah, we're not talking enormous, GT500-level increases in overall weight, maybe a couple of twelve packs in the trunk. For more important form a performance standpoint is the 25-50lb per wheel DECREASE in the far more important unsprung weight, now that's enormous.
Old 4/4/08, 10:56 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

There will also be far less of a ride penalty for any given level of suspension performance too and the added compliance and ability to maintain grip and speed in the real world would equate to higher and safer performance (less chance to get bucked off a bumpy turn). An IRS is simply far more broadly capable in a number of measures in a far wider range of driving situations.
Heh, Rhumb, you aren't saying you occasionally make a foray into triple digit speeds on a bumpy curvey road do you?

I remeber somebody at Ford having been quoted on saying the only real competive area left is going to an IRS (I would take this to mean an improvement in the SRA on the Mustang would be minutely incremental and exceedingly expensive, ergo this is as good as it gets with an SRA and it cannot be improved on), so I suppose its a foregone conclusion that IRS is going to be the only thing available on the GRWD chassis. If that is the case then my only wish is that Ford exceeds the strength of the 8.8 in every dimension.

Of course all that said, I don't know where you guys live so my real world is different, my favorite road to blast down is a curvy two lane road built on essentially what is a swamp, it is in a perpetual state of washing out and sinking all the time so it has dips and patches (and occasionally a pothole - which I avoid less out of fear of unsettling the chassis and am more concerned about popping a tire) all through it and you would surprised at how well the current car absorbs those imperfections at high double digit and low triple digit speeds.

As for real world road experience, I'd rate the roads in southern Indiana as the best I've been on to the worst being parts of rural Canada (although I'd rate Montreal to be about the same as Chicago or Milwaukee). I live in Virginia and I'd rate the roads here in general to be not much better than some of the roads I've traveled on in Illinios and Wisconson. North Carolina, New Jersey, New York and New Hampshire being about the same along with Missouri being close and Vermont being worse. Also Kansas had suprisingly good roads, a bit better than Virginia's
Old 4/7/08, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
As for real world road experience, I'd rate the roads in southern Indiana as the best I've been on
I am presuming you are refering to interstates. I live in Indianapolis, used to live in Lafayette, and my in-laws are in Fort Wayne all of which are north of southern Indiana, but other then Michigan ( and Tijuana Mexico) I've never driven on worse roads (granted I haven't really driven through Canada except for Niagara Falls, if that even counts). From San Diego, CA to Huntsville, AL to Tonawanda, NY, my company has operations all over the US that I have to frequent, not drive through.

I-65, I-74, I-70, and I-69 are all in a constant state of repair, so I imagine they should be pretty good.
Old 4/7/08, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jarradasay
I am presuming you are refering to interstates. I live in Indianapolis, used to live in Lafayette, and my in-laws are in Fort Wayne all of which are north of southern Indiana, but other then Michigan ( and Tijuana Mexico) I've never driven on worse roads (granted I haven't really driven through Canada except for Niagara Falls, if that even counts). From San Diego, CA to Huntsville, AL to Tonawanda, NY, my company has operations all over the US that I have to frequent, not drive through.

I-65, I-74, I-70, and I-69 are all in a constant state of repair, so I imagine they should be pretty good.
The last time I drove Trans Canada ( Route 1 I believe they call it ) Highway , it varied in condition , from not too bad to pretty darn good as the driving surface goes . The biggest irregularity I saw is the switching back and forth from 4 lane to 2 lane and back again . Some towns you by-pass, others you have to drive through . I have seen it from just east of Dryden,Ontario clear to the west coast ( Vancouver, BC ) and everywhere between . Beautiful to say the least, but driving through the Canadian Rockies is just breath-taking ! From Winnipeg, Manitoba to around Medicine Hat, Alberta , (over 1000 miles ) it is so flat, like Indiana except it is all prairies. It has its own beauty, something you should see for yourself ! PS . I judge the roads by where I live . Western PA roads HAVE to be the WORST roads there are anywhere !

Last edited by red pony; 4/7/08 at 10:09 AM.
Old 4/7/08, 11:13 AM

Heh, Rhumb, you aren't saying you occasionally make a foray into triple digit speeds on a bumpy curvey road do you?
Never a bit above 99 :-)

I'm a (northern) Virginia resident (DC area) and the roads here are quite varied, though with few to write home about. Biggest problem is a virtually free-for-all (but not cost free) of sprawl and ill-planned development that has far outpaced the necessary infrastructure to support it resulting in overused and congested roads. Maryland's a bit better on this account and DC is, well, a city, i.e., ideal mostly for Smart Cars.

But a half-hour or so drive will put you into some great winding and scenic back roads such as Virginia horse country to the west. Now there's some roads that will benefit from and reward a good IRS and brakes as much or more so than just a fire breathing motor, not that THAT hurts. There's also Summit Point Raceway and V.I.R. for those who want to amp up to 10/10ths driving.

My dream Stang would be a version that really does excel, rather than subsist, in back road charades as well as the current version do at stoplights and drag strips -- the proverbial American working-man's M3 that the S-197 was intimated to be but for various reasons got trimmed back and never really was realized.

The potential is still there though, perhaps for '10 if Ford really ups its game to "boldly" meet the new challengers, whether with current parts (Brembos and six speed off the GT500), upcoming (rumored 400+hp 5.0) or forestalled (IRS). Such a combo of parts could make for an exquisite Boss 5.0/302, a real race course and back road weapon to be reckoned with by all comers.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/7/08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 4/7/08, 12:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Never a bit above 99 :-)

I'm a (northern) Virginia resident (DC area) and the roads here are quite varied, though with few to write home about. Biggest problem is a virtually free-for-all (but not cost free) of sprawl and ill-planned development that has far outpaced the necessary infrastructure to support it resulting in overused and congested roads. Maryland's a bit better on this account and DC is, well, a city, i.e., ideal mostly for Smart Cars.
Agreed, I remeber taking a trip to the Smithsonian few years back in my 5.0, burnt alot of gas in traffic that day.

But a half-hour or so drive will put you into some great winding and scenic back roads such as Virginia horse country to the west. Now there's some roads that will benefit from and reward a good IRS and brakes as much or more so than just a fire breathing motor, not that THAT hurts. There's also Summit Point Raceway and V.I.R. for those who want to amp up to 10/10ths driving.
Route 1 is a good one for that between towns, I think 64 by way of Dulles gets kinda twisty as you head toward Charlotte IIRC. I live in Gloucster and if you get off the beaten path there are some fun roads here as well (especially heading in the general direction of Fredericksburg). One of these days I want to make it to V.I.R - keep putting that legal helmet off - on a fast driving event, if for no other reason than to learn where the actual limits of my car are.
Old 4/10/08, 07:53 PM
GT Member

1. Turbo charged engine.
2. DSG transmission option.
Old 4/10/08, 09:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by robair
1. Turbo charged engine.
2. DSG transmission option.
DSG is in development, probably not in the Mustang before next-gen. I'd say pretty good odds we'll see a TTV6 and/or TTV8 by then.

Last edited by Moosetang; 4/10/08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 4/12/08, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Wishlist:

6 speed transmission
same weight (competitions heavier anyway)
more horsepower balanced with improved or current mpg
microsoft sync (im sorry but thats cool in a relatively inexpensive car)
paddle shifters or manumatic mode for autos
heads up display like corvette (again, that's freakin cool)

all i can think of for now...
Old 4/12/08, 01:27 PM
GT Member

Honestly id be satisfied with a telescoping steering wheel, better seats, IRS, and 360hp.