Old 1/3/08, 08:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
New Spy shots - Red Coupe

http://jalopnik.com/339922/2010-ford-mustang-gt
Old 1/3/08, 08:51 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Looking pretty good, more aggressive, and I dig those bigger exhaust tips.
Old 1/3/08, 09:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least the mirrors look smaller
Old 1/3/08, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
THERE'S A TRAILER HITCH ON IT!!!!!!

Other than that the camo does a pretty good job; can't really tell a whole lot.
Old 1/3/08, 09:24 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting, could those integrated turn signals be LEDs? On this red car the "bar" looks silver. On the convertible spyshots I assumed it was bodycoloured (ie white).

Old 1/3/08, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see hips... The mirrors are smaller, but still ugly IMO!

-danny
Old 1/3/08, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, can't tell too much more than those previous shots. Does seem to have a slight "hip" ala the '65'-'66 Stangs.

The new trailer hitch option is quite obvious, which, I presumes, means they'll be keeping the truckish live axle suspension :-).

Tail pipes seem a bit better detailed too. Maybe Ford realizes with the onslaught of competition now, good enough ain't gonna be now that it's notgoing to be the only fish in the pond.

Greenhouse looks to be carry-over from the current car indicating a '99-level styling refresh. The side scallop does seem deeper with perhaps a bit of a ridge along its top.

PS Also shots of the upcoming Camaro too at Jalopnik, including some interior shots. Looks like it will be remarkably close to the concept car overall.
Old 1/3/08, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm still intrested in why there is a camo cutout on the hood.
Old 1/3/08, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
I'm still intrested in why there is a camo cutout on the hood.
It looks like a screen, much like the ones covering the grill and headlights. Maybe there will be an opening in the hood for letting cool air in or hot air out.
Old 1/3/08, 11:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The last tester had 1 pipe, has 2 very large pipes......

OK:
-The padding under the camo is very toned down compared to the vert tester, as a result we see the lines are tighter and the **** isn't any larger than the current car.

-Ford good or ill, 100% sure it has hips now.

-Unlike the pic fromt he Shlby video, the top grille/shark nose seems to be angled and not vertical. Its possible that was the V6 and this is the 8, we'll see.

-UNlike past dual-pipe 'stangs, the rear facia doesn't "wrap" around the pipes. In fact, it seems to be one very wide opening with the Pipes at either end. Does this mean they're putting a diffuser back there?

-Hood buldge is very pronounced, I'm not here or there on this until I see it sans camo.

-Don't read too much into the color scheme, while the red is very visible almost everything under the camo looks white with the black leopard-print camo. and the mirrors are grey. If this is a heavy-test mule its very possible many parts/panels have been replaced as they go.
Old 1/3/08, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Why don't they follow these test cars around and wait until they park and are unguarded, then just peek under the camo?
Old 1/3/08, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I really hope those two big bulging lines on the hood are just padding. I do like the mirrors and the placement of the antenna though.
Old 1/3/08, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Interesting no one has yet commented on the pillar guages....

A forced induction system of some kind??????
Old 1/3/08, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Three things I seem to be convincing myself that I see (other than the previously mentioned 'hips') are that the headlight sections seem to be set back from the nose ala the 67 model rather than the continuous line that they have on the 05 - 08 my, the sides are now back to a full side scallop with the lines running back from the top and bottom of the front fender (again similar to the 67 style) rather than the hockey stick style that was on the 05 - 08 my, and finally the tail lights seem to be taken from the 67 as well with the three lights separated from one another rather than the somewhat continuous lights on the present model.
Looking at the timeline for the 67, the cues seem to be much the same as was seen on the 67 gt.
Of course, with so much padding on that it looks more like a BLEEP than a mustang its hard to tell, so it could very well be nothing more than imagination, ah the suspense of it all. With the Camaro officially de-camo'd, perhaps attention will be turning to the remodel of the mustang and take away the thunder from the two new challengers (no pun intended).
Old 1/3/08, 12:01 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
Interesting no one has yet commented on the pillar guages....

A forced induction system of some kind??????
or just test equipment.
Not the first time I've seen those on a mule
Old 1/3/08, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Judging by the size of the pipes, the hood vents, Rear bumper cutout, the more expensive looking mirrors (look like they swivel) and the 'A' pillar gauges (forced induction), not to mention current GT500 rims I think this could be the next Shelby/Cobra mule. (BTW, 03-04 Cobras had very nice mirrors to distinquish from the lesser Stangs.) Or not.
Old 1/3/08, 01:54 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow, this is going to be good me thinks. the tail pipes with that cut out in the bottom is sweet! i can't wait to get one!
Old 1/3/08, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Does the red coupe appear to have a ducktail spoiler instead of a wing to anyone but me?

Back when SVT was testing GT500 mules, there was a red one with flat black wheels identical to this one, and that mule had a sort of flat black rectangular raised section in the center of the hood (to clear some prototype version of the supercharger that got nixed in favor of the current supercharger???). If this is that mule, those A-pillar instruments may be holdovers from that time--only now that mule has some sheetmetal mods as well.

I HOPE THAT ISN'T CHROME WE SEE BEHIND THE HEADLIGHT MESH ON THE PASSENGER SIDE!!!

All in all, this looks like a '70 Mustang "updated" to approximately the same degree as the S197 looks like an updated '66 G.T. 350--but with the current S197 roof instead of any attempt being made to modify the roof to the angular profile of what I believe they called the "sportroof" (IIRC) back in the day.
Old 1/3/08, 02:05 PM
I Have No Life

Wonder if the Panasonic Toughbook will be an option
Old 1/3/08, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Eights
Does the red coupe appear to have a ducktail spoiler instead of a wing to anyone but me?
It's a wing that resembles the current GT spoiler and curves towards each end. Looks like it follows the lines of the back end. Look at the middle portion through the mesh camo, it is clear that it is a wing:

Quick Reply: New Spy shots - Red Coupe