2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

New 305-HP Engine, 6-Speed Transmission Expected to Deliver 30MPG Highway

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/09, 04:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
T-Bird was a $40,000 car, and the SST was a $100 option!!
Yeah, and trust me, on a T-Bird, SST's inception, it was HORRID!!! It still shifted for you, even in manual mode! The newest iteration is fabulous!!! It will let you bounce off the rev limiter all day long, and NOT SHIFT until you flick the stick on a Fusion or paddle on a Taurus. Only will it shift if your going too slow, and then it will downshift.

I have to say, they may be keeping the Select Shift for the GT only, since they didn't mention it yet on the V6. Its too big of a feature to not mention in the press release.
Old 12/1/09, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Nope, the 3.7L DOHC V6 debuted in the 2008 Mazda CX-9, so it's about 2 years old on the market now. However, it's in the same family as the 3.5L DOHC V6 that was already used in several Fords over the years. The MKZ AWD had the 3.5L V6 while the Fusion chugged along with the 3.0L until the 2010 Fusion Sport. Some of the heavier Fords might have switched to a 3.7L V6 by now, I didn't bother to check.
I forgot about the CX-9! Are you sure they are the same?
Old 12/1/09, 04:36 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimp
Push button start is awesome if done right. The new Fiesta has it and you keep the key fob in your pocket. The doors lock and unlock automatically and you just hop in, push the button and go. Nobody can drive your car unless they have the fob.

Why would you want to fiddle around with a key? THAT's dumb.
Complexity for complexity's sake is what is dumb. A key always works.
Old 12/1/09, 04:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I forgot about the CX-9! Are you sure they are the same?
Yes, the 3.7L Duratec was in the Mazda CX-9, as well as the Lincoln MKS, before the announcement for the 2011 Mustang V6. Ford owned a majority stake in Mazda for quite some time and traded platforms and drivetrains frequently.
Old 12/1/09, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Complexity for complexity's sake is what is dumb. A key always works.
So do roll up windows and a key in the door, but for a daily driver, I can't imagine not having keyless entry and power windows. The thought of walking up to my vehicle, tugging on my door handle and getting it started without having to wrestle a key out of my pocket with groceries or whatever in hand, makes the choice simple for me. Paint the picture baby!
Old 12/1/09, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The shiftable automatics aren't new, and OEMs like Mazda/Subaru have had decent ones for the automatics where it revmatched all of your downshifts.

Unfortunately, the shiftable automatics like the ones in the Taurus/Fusion/Mazda are still automatics. They use a torque converter which has its own problems. The dual-clutch manual gearboxes and automated manuals are a bit better IMHO. There's always some delay with the automatics, and you carry around 14 qt of hot ATF that has to be cooled down with a large and heavy auxiliary cooler.
Old 12/1/09, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

So do roll up windows and a key in the door, but for a daily driver, I can't imagine not having keyless entry and power windows. The thought of walking up to my vehicle, tugging on my door handle and getting it started without having to wrestle a key out of my pocket with groceries or whatever in hand, makes the choice simple for me. Paint the picture baby!
And I still laughed at my friend when the battery in the keyfob on his Highlander's keyless entry went out and he complained about having to actually use the key to unlock the door and start the car.
Old 12/1/09, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Yes, the 3.7L Duratec was in the Mazda CX-9, as well as the Lincoln MKS, before the announcement for the 2011 Mustang V6. Ford owned a majority stake in Mazda for quite some time and traded platforms and drivetrains frequently.
I was aware of all the sharing Brian. Just wasn't sure if the 3.7 was the same or mazda specific like the di turbo motor.
I've only been out of the car business for about a year now and I'm starting to forget things I knew. Oh well, garbage in, garbage out.
Old 12/1/09, 06:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove a 09 MS3 before I decided to order the 09 SS/TC. The MS3 has insane torque steer in 1st gear, but it was a very fun car to drive! I'm glad to see another performance compact owner that also owns a muscle car! (07 Mustang GT w/ TR-3650 and 09 Cobalt SS/TC here).

FWIW, the EcoBoost engine idea isn't new - I'm sure you know this already since the DISI in the MS3 (2.3L DOHC I4, direct injected, turbocharged) was out years before the Ford EcoBoost. The Germans have been doing it for nearly a decade with their FSI Audi engines and similar setups (turbocharged, direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, etc...) I just view Direct Injection as the logical progression from multi-port fuel injection. It saddens me to see new engines sold today that are still MPFI or use timing belts.

I agree, that it shouldn't be too hard to adapt the DI part of the EcoBoost V6 since the 3.7 is in the same family as the 3.5

It would have been better if Ford debuted the 305 hp 3.7 much earlier in the smaller cars (Fusion).

A Fusion Sport AWD with a 305 hp 3.7L DOHC V6 would be an awesome daily driver.

The GM Stage 1 kit for the Cobalt SS/TC allows over 21 psi of boost IIRC, and you keep the factory powertrain warranty.
Yes, the Speed3 has torque steer, I avoided that by going with AWD instead. I also get all my power in 1st-3rd no problem, especially with launch control and flat foot shifting. Aside from that, the chassis is amazing and very capable with minimal work.

Well, I don't actually own one yet, but when I bought my Speed6, I wanted a '08 Bullitt, but the dealers wouldn't budge on the price. The MS6 was $20K out the door and had enough potential to keep me interested, so I pulled the trigger. AWD, 6-speed manual, and boost makes it a phenominal daily driver.

Ford is definitely a late game player in the DI market. Like you said, the VAG engines have been doing it for years, and seem to have it set up for the smaller motors and run great all day.\

My parents just bought a 2010 Fustion SEL V6 with the SST, and it's a great little package. 240hp makes that car move, and it's on par with the Sport IMO. No need to throw a bigger motor in there quite yet.

I always wondered, if your standing next to the car, push the button to open the door (there's a tiny button by the door latch that you push) - what if someone else stood on the opposite side and did the same thing?

I like the convenience of NOT messing around with heavy keys, but I want security as well. Didn't they show on Top Gear how they could drive the Challenger a few hundred feet without the key OR fob because Hammond was sort of close by sitting in the diner?
My g/f has a 2009 Mazda6 with the adv. key. If you walk up and push the button, it locks the car. If you grab the handle, the drivers door opens. If you grab the pass. door handle, all the doors unlock.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with how the key is packaged. I like how they've integrated the fob right into the key itself, so you don't have a bigger package in your pocket to carry around. If they could only set up remote start provisions in there should the owner want it and avoid the secondary fob, they'd really have me impressed.

Last edited by Overboost; 12/1/09 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12/1/09, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
Well, Ford definitely knows nothing about power to ground. I should know! 540HP car on 285's? Gee thanks Ford.
Then why did you buy the car in the first place?
Old 12/1/09, 06:52 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by steve-o
Then why did you buy the car in the first place?
Hm, because I wanted it? I didn't buy it because I thought it was perfect.
Old 12/1/09, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I was aware of all the sharing Brian. Just wasn't sure if the 3.7 was the same or mazda specific like the di turbo motor.
I've only been out of the car business for about a year now and I'm starting to forget things I knew. Oh well, garbage in, garbage out.
The 2.3L DOHC I4 used in the Mazdaspeed3 was also used in Ford vehicles for awhile.
Basically Ford just has to port over all of the goodies from Mazda, and they'd be on the same level as everyone else.
Old 12/1/09, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Yeah, and trust me, on a T-Bird, SST's inception, it was HORRID!!! It still shifted for you, even in manual mode! The newest iteration is fabulous!!! It will let you bounce off the rev limiter all day long, and NOT SHIFT until you flick the stick on a Fusion or paddle on a Taurus. Only will it shift if your going too slow, and then it will downshift.

I have to say, they may be keeping the Select Shift for the GT only, since they didn't mention it yet on the V6. Its too big of a feature to not mention in the press release.
I know that the SelectShift in the SHO matches revs on down shifts. Would it be possible that this feature might see another application soon?
Old 12/1/09, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had the select shift feature in my Mazda6 (six speed auto). I didn't like it. The shifts always happened a second or so after my input. It would not hold second gear when moving slowly. There were many instances where I wanted to hold second gear- like in stop and go traffic, but the car would always shift back into first. The quirks became so annoying that I eventually stopped using it. My advice to anyone who wants to choose their own gear is to buy the manual and save the money.
Old 12/1/09, 07:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Is there a dyno that shows this? I didn't see this on the press release.

Dave

Actually, simple peak hp and torque numbers tell us that the 3.7L possesses quite the power band. If you compare the Mustang's V6 to several of Ford's major competitors V6 mills, where the peak output numbers are found says a lot......

Ford 3.7L V6: 305hp @ 6500rpm; 280lb-ft/tq @ 4250 rpm (Mustang)

GM 3.6L V6: 304hp @ 6,400rpm; 273lb-ft/tq @ 5,200 rpm (Camaro)

Hyundai 3.8L V6: 306hp @ 6300rpm; 266lb-ft/tq @ 4700 rpm (Genesis Coupe)

Nissan 3.7L V6: 332hp @ 7000rpm; 270lb-ft/tq @ 5200rpm (370Z)

The Ford makes more peak torque than any of the other engines listed above with the Camaro coming closest, although the difference between the Camaro and Mustang isn't huge. More impressive, the Mustangs torque peak occurs nearly 1000rpm lower than the in the Camaro, which is not insignificant. That might not be so surprising but for the fact that, with the exception of the Nissan, peak hp is more or less a wash here. And here again we find that the rpm where this occurs tells us something, the Ford produces that peak hp just a tick higher than in either the GM or Hyundai which says that the Ford pulls just as well if not better throughout the entire power band than both the Hyundai and GM despite the superior low end torque the Ford produces. I would argue that this is impressive because low end torque has often been gained at the sacrifice of peak power in years past, all else being equal.

Sounds like very good head and intake design and a well thought out vvt setup to me....and an impressive overall power band.

Last edited by jsaylor; 12/1/09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12/1/09, 07:45 PM

Didn't they show on Top Gear how they could drive the Challenger a few hundred feet without the key OR fob because Hammond was sort of close by sitting in the diner?

Yep, you remember correctly.

In fact they drove it out onto the road and left it there creating lots of congestion with lots of honking going on, LOL.
When he came out, Hammond was dazed & confused as to how his car got there. Pretty funny stuff.

I've even heard Challenger guys talk about driving off from their home with the keys still in the house as the key was close enough to the garage to activate the push button start.
Sheesh, they need to make those things only have a range of like 15ft or something.
Old 12/1/09, 07:49 PM
GTR Member

The 2.3L DOHC I4 used in the Mazdaspeed3 was also used in Ford vehicles for awhile.
Basically Ford just has to port over all of the goodies from Mazda, and they'd be on the same level as everyone else.
The 2.3 MZR and the 2.3 DISI Turbo aren't as close as you think. The 2.3 N/A motors were identical, yes, same as the 2.5s now.
Old 12/1/09, 07:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ranger has the 2.3 Mazda engine.
Nobody that rides in it believes it is a 4 until I lift the hood.
The fun part is blowing away the non-turbo ricers with ease.
The look on their faces is priceless when they see a delivery truck blowing their doors off.
Old 12/1/09, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Actually, simple peak hp and torque numbers tell us that the 3.7L possesses quite the power band. If you compare the Mustang's V6 to several of Ford's major competitors V6 mills, where the peak output numbers are found says a lot......

Ford 3.7L V6: 305hp @ 6500rpm; 280lb-ft/tq @ 4250 rpm (Mustang)

GM 3.6L V6: 304hp @ 6,400rpm; 273lb-ft/tq @ 5,200 rpm (Camaro)

Hyundai 3.8L V6: 306hp @ 6300rpm; 266lb-ft/tq @ 4700 rpm (Genesis Coupe)

Nissan 3.7L V6: 332hp @ 7000rpm; 270lb-ft/tq @ 5200rpm (370Z)

The Ford makes more peak torque than any of the other engines listed above with the Camaro coming closest, although the difference between the Camaro and Mustang isn't huge. More impressive, the Mustangs torque peak occurs nearly 1000rpm lower than the in the Camaro, which is not insignificant. That might not be so surprising but for the fact that, with the exception of the Nissan, peak hp is more or less a wash here. And here again we find that the rpm where this occurs tells us something, the Ford produces that peak hp just a tick higher than in either the GM or Hyundai which says that the Ford pulls just as well if not better throughout the entire power band than both the Hyundai and GM despite the superior low end torque the Ford produces. I would argue that this is impressive because low end torque has often been gained at the sacrifice of peak power in years past, all else being equal.

Sounds like very good head and intake design and a well thought out vvt setup to me....and an impressive overall power band.

Thanks for the info J..
Old 12/1/09, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll be getting the 2012

Quick Reply: New 305-HP Engine, 6-Speed Transmission Expected to Deliver 30MPG Highway