Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New 2013 Mustang questions for the new guy

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/12, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2013 Mustang questions for the new guy

Hi Mustang community!

I'm new here, just registered. I thought it would be a good idea to stop in and see some Mustang experts and ask a few questions as a potential new owner. Hopefully it's all right to just fire away with some questions here. I appreciate any feedback, even if it's only to part of this. So without further ado...

1) A little background, I'm a "young married" that is looking to purchase his first new car. I've always had older used ones. I am not a car enthusiast by any means, nor do I intend to be. I got to drive some Mustangs very briefly recently and just thought it was pretty fun, and could add some enjoyment to an otherwise boring commute! I have no intention of racing this thing or anything like that.

I love the Mustang for what it delivers off the lot, stock, and for its appearance as-is. Is it silly to buy one with no intentions of buying aftermarket stuff and doing a lot of tinkering?

2) Building off #1, I'm looking for a "daily driver" car. It's going to see miles. It's going to see the road. And it's going to see it through all seasons. I'm in Michigan. There's snow here. This will be my car, and if I go somewhere, it would be in this. Is this just plain stupid of me? (My wife owns and drivers a larger 'regular' sedan)

3) I've focused primarily on the v6. The GT is a little more expensive than I'd like to drop on a first car. with the greatly improved models, has the negative connotation with the v6 been shaken? Does it still push you into your seat when you hit the pedal?

Thanks all!
Old 7/2/12, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BubbleStang
Hi Mustang community!

I'm new here, just registered. I thought it would be a good idea to stop in and see some Mustang experts and ask a few questions as a potential new owner. Hopefully it's all right to just fire away with some questions here. I appreciate any feedback, even if it's only to part of this. So without further ado...

1) A little background, I'm a "young married" that is looking to purchase his first new car. I've always had older used ones. I am not a car enthusiast by any means, nor do I intend to be. I got to drive some Mustangs very briefly recently and just thought it was pretty fun, and could add some enjoyment to an otherwise boring commute! I have no intention of racing this thing or anything like that.

I love the Mustang for what it delivers off the lot, stock, and for its appearance as-is. Is it silly to buy one with no intentions of buying aftermarket stuff and doing a lot of tinkering?

2) Building off #1, I'm looking for a "daily driver" car. It's going to see miles. It's going to see the road. And it's going to see it through all seasons. I'm in Michigan. There's snow here. This will be my car, and if I go somewhere, it would be in this. Is this just plain stupid of me? (My wife owns and drivers a larger 'regular' sedan)

3) I've focused primarily on the v6. The GT is a little more expensive than I'd like to drop on a first car. with the greatly improved models, has the negative connotation with the v6 been shaken? Does it still push you into your seat when you hit the pedal?

Thanks all!
Even though this is my 3rd Mustang and I am very involved in the Mustang community this Mustang will be a Daily Driver unlike my last one. I am getting the perfomance package because it increases the handling capabilities so much. I plan on for the Winter buying mud and snow on a whole new set of rims. I more than likely get them from Tire Rack. Driving rear wheel drive in the winter is different than FWD or AWD but it can be done. IMO it would be easier in the Winter with a manual then with a auto but thats my opinion. The Mustang is a great car and I am sure if you buy one you will be hooked like the rest of us. You always start out not getting involved but it becomes addicting to say the least. Mustangs are not just a car but a way of life..

Last edited by GreenCars; 7/2/12 at 01:04 PM.
Old 7/2/12, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the forums! Hope to see some posts of a new car from you in the near future

Just go to the dealer and test drive as many cars as you can...that is the only way you will be able to make up your mind by touching and feeling everything.

I DD my gt and it's awesome. The 3.73s in the track pack make 1st gear super short and just about useless in traffic, but the fun factor of hitting the gas and running through the gears will never get old. The v6's have over 300 hp now, actually amazing when you think about it, and offer a lot of fun as well...all about what you want to spend and like.
Old 7/2/12, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i daily drive mine and with little problems

sure there are those days where you can't move because the snow is 12-16" deep...but sheesh...thats gonna affect alot more people than mustang owners lol

the traction control is greatly improved on these cars, i love TC on my 11,

IMO i would highly recommend the manual for better control in adverse weather conditions
Old 7/2/12, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've owned nine Mustangs since 1983, with number 10 on order. As a young married serviceman in the eighties, I couldn't afford a Mustang just for summer use. We drove our 85, 86, and 87 Mustangs full time in Saratoga Springs, NY, which has hills, twisting roads (usually mixed together to provide blind intersections) and a 100 inches of snow a winter. I ran the stock gatorbacks (or Pirelli Response) all season tires, threw some cases of laundry soap in the back and carried some cat litter and a shovel just in case. For several years, we drove a 2006 Charger RT in Wisconsin as well. It can be done, and winter tires are a huge help. Remeber, the new car has traction control and ABS, which wasn't even a dream in 1988 and is a big help today. As far as a daily driver, the Mustang is a great car. The trunk is decent size. You can get two baby seats in the back (we did in our Fox bodies) and mileage is very reasonable, especially with the V6. I hvaen't driven a 3.7 V6, but it has as much power as a 2005-2010 GT so it would be no slouch.

Last edited by Juice; 7/2/12 at 03:41 PM.
Old 7/2/12, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Juice
I've owned nine Mustangs since 1983, with number 10 on order. As a young married serviceman in the eighties, I couldn't afford a Mustang just for summer use. We drove our 85, 86, and 87 Mustangs full time in Saratoga Springs, NY, which has hills, twisting roads (usually mixed together to provide blind intersections) and a 100 inches of snow a winter. I ran the stock gatorbacks (or Pirelli Response) all season tires, threw some cases of laundry soap in the back and carried some cat litter and a shovel just in case. For several years, we drove a 2006 Charger RT in Wisconsin as well. It can be done, and winter tires are a huge help. Remeber, the new car has traction control and ABS, which wasn't even a dream in 1988 and is a big help today. As far as a daily driver, the Mustang is a great car. The trunk is decent size. You can get two baby seats in the back (we did in our Fox bodies) and mileage is very reasonable, especially with the V6. I hvaen't driven a 3.7 V6, but it has as much power as a 2005-2010 GT so it would be no slouch.
Juice-- great personal info! Much appreciated!
Old 7/2/12, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you do make sure to order your V6 with 3.31 gears (it comes standard with Performance Package which I also recommend unless you plan to upgrade the suspension). When you go for test drive see if you can find a dealer with V6 with 3.31 gears if not you may feel underwhelmed by the performance of the V6 with the standard 2.73 gears.
Old 7/2/12, 05:36 PM
GT Member

I have a V6 pony convertible in MN. I would drive all the variants you can. I put on snow tires in winter, but the traction control is amazing. Coming from Jeeps and cheap fwd cars I think the mustang handled as good as any other vehicle I have driven. I didn't want to drive in traffic with a stick, so I did go automatic. I am probably pretty rare only buying the car because it could go topless. The performance was just a plus. I have the 2.73 gears and its ok, I may not win again a PP V6, but I do keep up. So its really a personal preference. I just kinda do my own thing and try to not listen to the performance crazed to condemn my choices
Old 7/2/12, 06:06 PM
GTR Member

First off, welcome to the forums! Hopefully your questions will be answered here.

To answer, here's my take on the situation:

1 - I think the Mustang is the perfect blend of sport and practicality, and takes the edge off a commute to work if you have a decent drive. I see you mentioned the V6 (more on that in a second), but the sporty nature and pep of the 305hp moor makes for a fun commute. If you want to take it to 11, you can.

2 - I also live in MI, and have lived on both sides of the state. If you spend $30k on a car, invest in a set of wheels and snow tires for the rough season, if you plan on using the car year round. Instead of a compromise, you get the best in any environment.

3 - I think going with the 3.7 is a perfectly acceptable choice. I hated the boat anchor 4.0 and wouldn't ever suggest anyone own one, but the new motor is impressive. If you have a lot of highway driving or long commute to work, I think making the reasonable choice in getting the V6 isn't a bad move. I'd suggest you drive one with and without the Performance Package, so you can see what a tuned suspension, brakes, and different gearing offer you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you've got any other questions/concerns.
Old 7/2/12, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost

... I'd suggest you drive one with and without the Performance Package, so you can see what a tuned suspension, brakes, and different gearing offer you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you've got any other questions/concerns.
If it's new, I guess it'd still be in its break-in period right? Wouldn't they get irritated at me punching it during a test drive?
Old 7/2/12, 06:30 PM
GTR Member

If it's new, I guess it'd still be in its break-in period right? Wouldn't they get irritated at me punching it during a test drive?
You don't need to drive it at its limit to feel the difference.
Old 7/2/12, 09:57 PM
GT Member

They just handed me the keys when I test drove a GT. The salesman grinned and asked me if I "gave it some" when I got back. LOL I don't think they'll care if you nail it a few times, and if they do, so what--you're the customer.

The 3.7 is a great engine and makes the Mustang tons of fun with a manual and the performance package, but one piece of advice if you're set on the V6... Don't drive a 5.0. LOL
Old 7/3/12, 05:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
The 3.7 is a great engine and makes the Mustang tons of fun with a manual and the performance package, but one piece of advice if you're set on the V6... Don't drive a 5.0. LOL
I second that; why I'm getting a GT now when I planned on ordering a v6 originally.
Old 7/3/12, 07:20 PM

I was in the very same boat as you. Wanted a GT but for $$$ sake ordered and just received a 2013 DIB V6 PP. Had to have an automatic b/c my wife read all about the sucky Chinese transmissions. It's going to be my DD and I can't believe how quick this thing is. I'm still babying it but did get on it today and once that V6 gets over 3800 rpm it freakin' comes to life!!! Granted it'll never be a GT but I am shocked at how responsive it is. I live in a place where there's stop lights every 2 miles so it'd be a waste of that beautiful 420hp to get the GT. BTW, the cheapest GT I could find in the area was about $5K more than what I bought mine for---could I have afforded it? Yes. But I'm pretty conservative. And when I picked it up at the dealer last night, this is no lie, a guy offered to buy it from me right then and there b/c that was the color he wanted and didn't want to wait. I had waited almost 9 weeks for it so I said tough luck. It was funny b/c he bought a black 2013 V6PP they had on the lot and his wife was trying to talk him into ordering the DIB. Is a GT sweet? Absolutely, but the looks and comments I got at the dealer and to and from work were good enough for me. Go with a V6--it'll do you just fine
Old 7/4/12, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

My car is delayed till next week and because growing impatient and I found a 2013 GTHIG GT Premium for only 2K more than my V6 that I factory ordered. The GT is out of state and I would have to make a trip to get it if so interested. In rolling it around in my brain and checking things I found I could not Smart Lease a GT, The GT was a Premium but with not all the features I wanted in the new Mustang. So became a question of finance a GT that was close to what I want or Smart Lease the V6 I designed with my dealer. Do I get more HP or keep the features I ordered? I decided to go with what I factory ordered because it became more that a simple question for me. The V6 will be a daily car which I will use all year round so it made more sense to have the features then the extra HP. Also even though I could afford the GT finance I will be saving close to $200.00 a month with the smart lease. It also turns out because I was honest with my dealer and felt bad that my car got held up (and happy I didn't buy the GT) they gave me a free Hertz rental tell my Mustang shows up. So bad karma averted and not having to wake up my 7 year old and wife every morning to take me to work because of the delay made it a win. I am happy with my decision. Who knows perhaps I will get a 2015 or 16 if I don't decide to keep this one down the road.