2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Need advice on 2014 GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/14, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on 2014 GT

Ok so I know that the question has come up a lot on the forum about auto vs manual. I was wondering why there so few automatic GT's on the lots. Is it because most GT buyers are looking for manual shift or that they sold out early. Which do you believe has a better resale value? I was leaning towards a auto but there are very few on the lots. I drove a manual on a test drive and they are very easy to shift. I found it more fun. One other question, with nav or without? any opinions on desirability?
Old 7/6/14, 07:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Well if you found the manual more fun you've answered one if your questions I think. I'm not sure of the percentages but I'd guess more people looking for a car like the 2014 Mustang are probably looking for a manual. I think resale is up in the air.

I have the nav and like it. I'm a tech nerd so my opinion is probably slanted.
Old 7/6/14, 07:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
They probably sell a lot more automatics, harder to keep on the lot. Just get whichever you like the best. I don't see the point in choosing options based on resale value, you have to live with the car for a while make it how you like. If that means a hit in resale then oh well, at least you had fun driving it.
Old 7/6/14, 09:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They sell tons more manuals than automatics, that's why those are most prevalent on the dealers lots.

Automatics are great for the dragstrip, manuals are lots more fun on the street and best for the road race course.

But, as stated above, buy the one you like best, not the one you think will be worth more when you decide to sell/trade it.
Old 7/6/14, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's probably location oriented. I could see more manual transmissions sold in flat land areas and more automatics in hill regions. I might also think V6's, more convertible's or hardtops with automatics for comfort, mileage, general purpose daily driver and V8's, hardtops with manuals for performance fun factor and seasonal duties.
Old 7/6/14, 02:33 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,117 Likes on 803 Posts
I was dead set on getting an automatic. Both of my sons were shaking their heads in disgust. I had not had a manual for at least 25 years. Was all set to buy this Stage 2 automatic I had found on a dealers lot. But, then decided I wanted to know how the Roush suspension compared to a stock Track Pack car the dealer also had on the lot. Drove the automatic it seemed ok, but missing something. Drove the manual and WOW, no comparison. Seemed much quicker and definitely funner to drive. Likely the 3.73 rear end, but I am now a believer.

Ordered a Stage 2 Roush, but used the manual track pack car as a base. Added in a Glass top and I could not be happier.

Get the Manual! You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 7/6/14 at 02:35 PM.
Old 7/6/14, 11:30 PM
GT Member

Do not get the nav system. Have a phone? Use it.

Maybe they've gotten the bugs out of it, but my family's 2011 Explorer has it - and it has NEVER worked right. It's been in the shop over a dozen times and they can't seem (or be willing) to fix it.
Old 7/6/14, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd never drive an auto mustang. Couldn't do it, just love manual so much. Auto screams rental car.

As for the nav, I have it and have not used it once. I do like the touchscreen and it looks way nicer. The auto climate is nice too. I bought mine used so I didn't add the option.
Old 7/6/14, 11:42 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered my automatic 5.0 based on driving a rental 2014 5.0 for 2 weeks and working it without mercy and it not skipping a beat. The 6R80 is an awesome unit! Not like any old school auto, this one works great. I heard mixed feedback on the MT82 manual issues, so I didn't even want to deal with that. I'm getting old now too LOL...

I have other cars with manual transmissions that are much faster, so I wanted my 2014 GT to be a "Grand Touring" machine to cruise the roads in :-)

I'm sure a manual trans 5.0 with a good driver and clean power shifts would be faster than an auto, but this 6R80 unit takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! Time will tell long term durability, but its the same unit used in some F series trucks and the Mustang is a lightweight in comparison.
Old 7/7/14, 12:12 PM
GT Member

The manual in the Mustang is very easy row. I enjoy it a lot more than the Honda 6 speed.
Old 7/7/14, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
We have the auto, and the transmission does great. I say drive them both if possible, then get the one that puts a big smile on your face. As stated above, I'm older now and just want to push the skinny pedal to move along.

As far as the Nav., that's a toss up. I have one in my F-150 that works fine, but not the Mustang. My hand held Garmin works just as good at a fraction of the price.
Old 7/7/14, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Dad-burn double post.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/7/14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 7/7/14, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I see quite a few automatic equipped Mustangs on the lot around here. I was at one of the Ford dealerships yesterday and out of the six Mustangs on the lot, five of them were automatics. Three were GT's and two of those had automatics. All of the GT's were base model cars and all of the six cylinder cars were hard loaded. One of the base GT's was optioned identical to mine and in the same color.

At another dealership I was at the other day, most of their Mustangs were automatics and that went for the GT's as well.

Wayne
Old 7/7/14, 05:12 PM
GT Member

I've got manual and it always puts a smile on my face. I don't do much stop and go driving, terrain is pretty flat and even though it's a daily driver I'm only driving about 7500 miles a year. (winter comes and the pony just doesn't care for the snow much).

As far as the nav goes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Love the hard drive to rip CD's too (and it sounds way better than usb or Bluetooth). Love the climate control and even though I don't use the nav that much it works just fine when I do.

An automatic imo is fine. Much much faster than the manual. But that manual is WAY more fun. Of course that's an opinion, lol

Things I did with this car I never saw myself doing.
Nav (I'm technogeek as well and phone works great)
Manual
Convertible
Shaker pro (only car with color and options I wanted so no choice)

Like them all. Glad I got them.