Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

narph's 2014 GT Track Package Carnage *not for the faint of heart*

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/14, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Narph, great to hear. Remember, in this instance, it's OKAY to be picky. Look that baby over 100 times... make sure it looks good, feels good, etc, to YOU. Don't leave that shop if you see any imperfection. And of course, keep us posted
Absolutely! Shouldn't be a problem with how easy the fix should be.

Also, screen capped my mileage to see if anyone took it out for a drive.

Attachment 153517

Last edited by narphenal; 9/1/16 at 10:09 PM.
Old 2/25/14, 12:03 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by narphenal
Absolutely! Shouldn't be a problem with how easy the fix should be. Also, screen capped my mileage to see if anyone took it out for a drive.
Oh before I forget… It may be an easy fix but it will all depend on how well they painted. Make sure there's no holograms or swirl marks etc. and I think you already know this, but make sure they don't touch or buff any other paint surface on the car other than the Fender.
Old 2/28/14, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Well ****. Looks like I am not going to get my car back today. Pretty disappointed because I was heading to the track tomorrow for test and tune anyway.... Oh well.
Old 3/1/14, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well ****. Looks like I am not going to get my car back today. Pretty disappointed because I was heading to the track tomorrow for test and tune anyway.... Oh well.
Sorry. Hopefully, not too much longer. Did they give you a new day? Maybe Monday? I was supposed to have my car back by now, but there was a setback. New ETA is end of the week.
Old 3/3/14, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Insert a bunch of exclamation points and happy faces. Sitting at the body shop right now. Luckily I caught them before they started washing it!!! Update coming soon!!!

Attachment 153873

Last edited by narphenal; 9/1/16 at 10:09 PM.
Old 3/3/14, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking killer!
Old 3/3/14, 04:24 PM
I Have No Life

Insert a bunch of exclamation points and happy faces. Sitting at the body shop right now. Luckily I caught them before they started washing it!!! Update coming soon!!!
Nice narph! Looks brand new! (It is... Lol). FYI, can you still stop them from washing? I know you're prolly someone who cares about the condition of his paint... Don't let anyone other than yourself touch your paint. One time, my wife's car they did a courtesy wash after have a tsb performed. I got it back all swirled up, and took me another 12 hours to polish. Just FYI... Most people don't care about cars the way you or I do
Old 3/3/14, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good.

Looks just like Phil's GTCS! Except for the wheel$ & front grills.
Old 3/4/14, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

All in all, I am extremely happy with the repair. It looks good, and as hard as I looked, I couldn't find anything to complain about. One of my larger concerns was muted when I saw they only put .8 miles on the clock. Now I just need to give her a nice detail this weekend, so I can ensure that it looks good.

Sewell was extremely great to work with, and after I had brought it in on a Tuesday, they had the car ready Monday afternoon. My biggest concern now is seeking out the diminished value claim, although the insurance company seems like they are working with me, I fear they are going to try and say that the value is the same because the vehicle is repaired. I'm going to see what they offer when they come out to do another appraisal, and if it doesn't seem reasonable, I will contact another third party to get a second opinion. Unfortunately, even though the repair is good, I know it will be a hard sell when I decide to sell it because it now has a huge red mark on it's file from being in an accident, which will make many people second guess it.

Nice narph! Looks brand new! (It is... Lol). FYI, can you still stop them from washing? I know you're prolly someone who cares about the condition of his paint... Don't let anyone other than yourself touch your paint. One time, my wife's car they did a courtesy wash after have a tsb performed. I got it back all swirled up, and took me another 12 hours to polish. Just FYI... Most people don't care about cars the way you or I do
It was next in line to be scrubbed with a brush, and I just told them to spray it down with water, and nothing else. Luckily I caught it in time. I am not completely **** about paint, I just like to take care of it better than most people, but scrubbing black paint with a hard bristled brush makes my whole body cringe.
Old 3/4/14, 11:42 AM
I Have No Life

All in all, I am extremely happy with the repair. It looks good, and as hard as I looked, I couldn't find anything to complain about. One of my larger concerns was muted when I saw they only put .8 miles on the clock. Now I just need to give her a nice detail this weekend, so I can ensure that it looks good. Sewell was extremely great to work with, and after I had brought it in on a Tuesday, they had the car ready Monday afternoon. My biggest concern now is seeking out the diminished value claim, although the insurance company seems like they are working with me, I fear they are going to try and say that the value is the same because the vehicle is repaired. I'm going to see what they offer when they come out to do another appraisal, and if it doesn't seem reasonable, I will contact another third party to get a second opinion. Unfortunately, even though the repair is good, I know it will be a hard sell when I decide to sell it because it now has a huge red mark on it's file from being in an accident, which will make many people second guess it. It was next in line to be scrubbed with a brush, and I just told them to spray it down with water, and nothing else. Luckily I caught it in time. I am not completely **** about paint, I just like to take care of it better than most people, but scrubbing black paint with a hard bristled brush makes my whole body cringe.
That's exactly what I meant by my quote from earlier. These people have no idea how to detail cars. To them, using a deck brush on paint is a good thing.

As for your repair, that is great news! Welcome back!

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/4/14 at 02:58 PM.
Old 3/4/14, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's exactly what I meant by my quote from earlier… These people have no idea how to detail cars. To them, using a deck brush on paint is a good thing.

As for your repair, that is great news! Welcome back!
Pretty scary how even the guys at a BODYSHOP are clueless when it comes to detailing.

What they probably didn't tell you was that you should wait 60-90 days to wax that fender to let the paint fully cure and finish offgassing. Looks great!
Old 3/4/14, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

That's exactly what I meant by my quote from earlier… These people have no idea how to detail cars. To them, using a deck brush on paint is a good thing. As for your repair, that is great news! Welcome back!
unfortunately, when I went to lunch, I noticed that the panel has a bunch of swirls in it.... Yesterday was overcast so I couldn't see it, but the sun is out today.

Looks like I get to do some polishing this weekend...
Old 3/4/14, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

unfortunately, when I went to lunch, I noticed that the panel has a bunch of swirls in it.... Yesterday was overcast so I couldn't see it, but the sun is out today.

Join the club...my wife backed into a pole with her '12 Beetle back in fall of 2012, I had to return/reject the car four times because they couldn't finish down with a rotary for ****. SEVERE marring and swirls that was so obvious it was ridiculous even in the dim light of parking lots at night, forget the sun. They also burned the paint twice with the rotary and it got to the point where I told them point blank if you can't use a rotary, finish it down with an orbital. Even the fourth time, it was "good enough" that I could take it home and finish it correctly with my Porter Cable myself, good grief...at that point I was just happy they didn't burn the paint for a third time so I figured I had better quit while I was ahead.
Old 3/4/14, 03:00 PM
I Have No Life

Narph... was your car polished BEFORE you took it in? If so, you may want to check if they touched the rest of your car... even something as little as a wipe down with towels they use/do will cause major swirling. I always exclusively tell the body shops I take it to, absolutely under no circumstance, are they to touch ANY panel that they're not working on.
Old 3/4/14, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Narph... was your car polished BEFORE you took it in? If so, you may want to check if they touched the rest of your car... even something as little as a wipe down with towels they use/do will cause major swirling. I always exclusively tell the body shops I take it to, absolutely under no circumstance, are they to touch ANY panel that they're not working on.
None of the other panels were washed, just like I told them. They just didn't do the best job on this panel.

I might just leave it swirled, wait for the second appraisal, then fix it myself.
Old 3/4/14, 03:28 PM
I Have No Life

None of the other panels were washed, just like I told them. They just didn't do the best job on this panel. I might just leave it swirled, wait for the second appraisal, then fix it myself.
That sounds like a plan,… I can imagine you are absolutely ecstatic about getting your car back in tip top shape. On top of that, you also have your MGW Shifter to enjoy. Now go get out and drive!
Old 3/4/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

That sounds like a plan,… I can imagine you are absolutely ecstatic about getting your car back in tip top shape. On top of that, you also have your MGW Shifter to enjoy. Now go get out and drive!
I'm just depressed because I won't have time to wash it until the weekend. Luckily, time change happens this weekend, so I will have much longer days which will allow me time to wash my cars.
Old 3/5/14, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Pretty scary how even the guys at a BODYSHOP are clueless when it comes to detailing.

What they probably didn't tell you was that you should wait 60-90 days to wax that fender to let the paint fully cure and finish offgassing. Looks great!
I asked that with a similar repair last year and the body shop told me no need to wait and that they'd waxed it already for me.
Old 3/6/14, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
All I think of when I see this thread pop up is

Name:  gohkG.png
Views: 4
Size:  213.8 KB

Congrats on getting it back
Old 3/6/14, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford20
All I think of when I see this thread pop up is Congrats on getting it back
I don't even remember how I came up with the name, but I was just a kid, and it was when I was playing Halo CE with friends, and then it just stuck with me on Xbox Live, and onto forums, lol.

And thanks!

Quick Reply: narph's 2014 GT Track Package Carnage *not for the faint of heart*