Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My First Run in with the Cops in the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/11, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brewsky54
I just never understood how anyone's motorcycle can scream like they do, yet they give someone in a 5.0 crap when it's 1/3 as loud...

Anyways, so what does someone who purchased a Roush Mustang do? Get a hard time a lot and keep having to appear in court showing proof of "stock" system??? It's all a bunch of crap if you ask me.
Agree. I have never gotten pulled over in my 05 gt. (slp's) and it's pretty loud. I was pulled over once in my 94 gt but it was much louder..full exhaust, long tubes, no cats or mufflers lol. When I was pulled over the officer actually complimented me and said he was a mustang guy himself! It was actually a pretty cool experience lol. He asked me all about my stang and then told me about his 89 lx at home. Coolest cop I've ever met. Good luck with your situation.
Old 9/15/11, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cops only pull over suspicious characters.
Old 9/15/11, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jeez if that's loud they would have arrested me for mine.
Old 9/15/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why I love living in Michigan as we have no legal decibel limit, all we need is a functioning muffler. Plus I think Police have better things to do then serve EPA and drive by noise standards.
Old 9/15/11, 10:48 PM

Anyone know the decibel limit in CO? If any? There's some loud exhausts running around here
Old 9/15/11, 11:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I went through a similar experience earlier this year, which forced me to park the Mustang and get an Escape. No it isn't a $1500 citation, but if you want to have your exhaust tested by a state referee, it costs anywhere from $25-125 for the test, depending on where you go. So then you can keep it with you when you get pulled over again.

When I got pulled over, I was doing 68 (looked down at the speedo when I saw the CHP enter the freeway), he followed me for 3 exits then lit me up (we were in dense traffic) and tells me he had me doing 80, tailgating and my excessive exhaust. Lol it was a 2000 V6 with JBA shorty headers and a dual catback (stock cats) with Force mufflers from Jegs. And it's an auto so it's not like I was downshifting or anything. He didn't have me on radar/lidar. My dad suggested I just pay the fine and do traffic school since I already have a "wet and reckless" on my record. All 3 infractions were $460. Total.
Old 9/16/11, 01:07 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Got a good one for you guys

So I was on my way home from getting some food. I noticed a cop rappidly approaching about 4 cars down, I was not speeding. He then gets behind me and as soon as he got behind me I knew he was going to pull me over. He lights me up, I was very polite and curtious. He asks "do you know why I pulled you over?" I say no, he says because of my exhaust. He states it's too loud ( Mind you it's only Roush Ab's ) He then asks all these questions, where I'm living, Where I'm working, Any drugs Alcohol, how long I've had the car. I politely answer all his questions, takes my information and goes to his car. He returns to say " I'm giving you a warning for the exhaust, but you are now in the system for it and you must get it repaired or you will be written a citation."
I say thank you for the warning officer, have a good day.

As he was about to pull away he says, " You know if I were to write you a citation it would of been a 1500 dollar ticket and it would be a 1 point on your driving record" I said thats good to know thank you.

So BS? Or legit?
That sounds like complete BS to me. Did he tell you how many decibels he had you at? If not, I'd have told him to **** off.
Originally Posted by AzPete
I got pulled over for loud exhaust and had a 100% stock system...car was a few days old...a verbal warning....

Originally Posted by Adam
My friend got an exhaust ticket in an STi. The exhaust was stock He obviously won, but had to go to court for it.

Originally Posted by texastboneking
I loved living in Waco. State trooper caught me running 90 on the high way and didn't even turn his lights on
What highway? I swear, I35 (between Dallas and Austin) has the fastest average speed of any HW I've ever been on. Absolute fun!...
Old 9/16/11, 01:38 AM

I think you were pulled over for liking the lame *** Giants
Old 9/16/11, 02:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the Borla ATAk and i still think it's too quiet. When I floor it... RUMBLE!!!. but not as loud as my 99 GT was.
Old 9/16/11, 05:19 AM
V6 Member

In ny is not a spl limit it is no exhaust mods .! How sucky is that and yet i have roush ab for my gb 2012 oops
Old 9/16/11, 05:56 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
That sounds like complete BS to me. Did he tell you how many decibels he had you at? If not, I'd have told him to **** off.

What highway? I swear, I35 (between Dallas and Austin) has the fastest average speed of any HW I've ever been on. Absolute fun!...
I 30 I believe. Maybe 35. I don't remember now lol.
Old 9/16/11, 06:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
loud exhaust is very overrated. Nice quiet power is what gets them every time.
Old 9/16/11, 06:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer
Agree. I have never gotten pulled over in my 05 gt. (slp's) and it's pretty loud. I was pulled over once in my 94 gt but it was much louder..full exhaust, long tubes, no cats or mufflers lol. When I was pulled over the officer actually complimented me and said he was a mustang guy himself! It was actually a pretty cool experience lol. He asked me all about my stang and then told me about his 89 lx at home. Coolest cop I've ever met. Good luck with your situation.

Gotta love it. I got nabbed once in VA for speeding on 95 in my 09 and the cop gave me crap for a few mins, looked at his watch, and then started talking 'mustang' with me for like 20 mins. Apparently he had a boosted Mach 1. Needless to say, he decided i wasnt *really* going that fast!
Old 9/16/11, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Nope he did not mention that but I've done my homework now so if they really want to screw with me I'll be prepared. This is the first time since putting these on in April.
Old 9/16/11, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
I think you were pulled over for liking the lame *** Giants
F yo couch!!!
Old 9/16/11, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking

I 30 I believe. Maybe 35. I don't remember now lol.
It has to be 35 because I live in college station, TX and that's the highway I take from waco to fort worth.
Old 9/16/11, 08:46 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then yeah lol. Bellmead in Waco is the race road
Old 9/16/11, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Unfortunately we cant chose the people we work with.....some are just born D***s, and the others work hard to be ones. Keep the exhaust, put some headers on it, and just drop it in neutral when you see the police ! ..and unfortunately that "50 state legal" stuff really doesn't mean jack-- I think thats just a ploy to sell products. Here in VA if its not factory or OEM direct replacement (whatever that means) its illegal.
Old 9/16/11, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be very sure you would win this if it went to trial. No doubt why he didn't write you. I asked several of my cop buddies and they agreed with the earlier chp link. They all said that he was probably just interested in getting into your business.

Police will OFTEN use the vehicle code to get a better look at you. If you have a little thug going or if you just look like someone that officer suspects might have drugs, booze, weapons..... I have a good friend who is a complete biker looking guy. Tattoos up his neck, 250 lbs, arian as hell and he gets stopped EVERYTIME he drives his $100k BMW M6. The police can use pretty much any changes to your car to chat with you and see if you're up to no good. In his case they just don't think he belongs in that car. A young guy in a nice car is a pretty enticing target to a bored cop.

I've been on several police ride alongs and it's amazing how many people with drugs, warrants and firearms are running around with cars not properly registered, music blasting or rolling down the road with pot smoke billowing out. Just asking to be stopped.
Old 9/16/11, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a note I was stopped by a chp 2 weeks ago for 75 in a 55 zone. He gave me a VERBAL on speed, a VERBAL on tint (very very light) A VERBAL on having last quarters insurance information ( don't have a clue where current is so I got a replacement) and wrote me for no front plate. I have mounted the plate which is personalized and pretty cool.

He then asked me as though I were a slow second grader, "Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

I responded, "Yes, you are telling me that you're the nicest man I will meet this week!" and he was. Really nice guy, I think he appreciated that I didn't give him any excuses, I just told him that I had no good reason for going that fast and I was driving like a dumb sh*#. He didn't agree outright, but he didn't argue with me either. Again Nice Guy!

Quick Reply: My First Run in with the Cops in the 5.0