Sponsored By:

My First Run in with the Cops in the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/11, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Run in with the Cops in the 5.0

Got a good one for you guys

So I was on my way home from getting some food. I noticed a cop rappidly approaching about 4 cars down, I was not speeding. He then gets behind me and as soon as he got behind me I knew he was going to pull me over. He lights me up, I was very polite and curtious. He asks "do you know why I pulled you over?" I say no, he says because of my exhaust. He states it's too loud ( Mind you it's only Roush Ab's ) He then asks all these questions, where I'm living, Where I'm working, Any drugs Alcohol, how long I've had the car. I politely answer all his questions, takes my information and goes to his car. He returns to say " I'm giving you a warning for the exhaust, but you are now in the system for it and you must get it repaired or you will be written a citation."
I say thank you for the warning officer, have a good day.

As he was about to pull away he says, " You know if I were to write you a citation it would of been a 1500 dollar ticket and it would be a 1 point on your driving record" I said thats good to know thank you.

So BS? Or legit?
Old 9/15/11, 03:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends. Where do you live?
Old 9/15/11, 03:03 PM
MOTM Committee Member

are the roush ABs 50 state legal? If so I'd print out proof and take it in to the police station where you'd show them you corrected the ticket.
Old 9/15/11, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Dont know about Cali but in Ga only moving violations add points on your license. ie.. speeding,failure to yield, failure to obey traffic device. As for being in the system sounds like a scare tactic. lol
Old 9/15/11, 03:23 PM
V6 Member

$1500?! That sounds like total BS to me.

I also doubt the point on your license part too, but I guess that's more of a possibility.

In any event, the Roush AB's are **** loud on heavy acceleration -- I'm surprised there are not more stories like that around here.
Old 9/15/11, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

In Southern California a cop pulled up next to me and asked me about my exhaust. He said it sounded really good and wanted to know what kind of mufflers they were. I just had MAC Axle-backs at the time, which were pretty loud.
Old 9/15/11, 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

I just talked with a co-worker who's husband is a police officer out here in So Cal. He states I could get a citation, but no way would it go against my record and no where near 1500. He says that cop was just trying to give me a hard time.

Here are a couple good reads I have found. Just need to make sense of all it

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/chp.htm
Old 9/15/11, 03:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Still have the stock AB's on my Boss but I have pulled the sidepipe restrictor plates. I dont know how loud that makes it compared to Roush AB's but would be interesting to know if the volume is still within legal limits in TX.
Tbone- do you know? Is it a SPL reading in TX that determines legal limit?
Old 9/15/11, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm running Roush axel backs with no exhaust disks on my Boss. It's pretty loud. When you hit the throttle it's real loud. It will turn heads 2 blocks away....LOL
Old 9/15/11, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah thats crap Josh, Sorry you had to go thru that shiz.
He was probably bored or just wanted to be a ahole about it.

Good call on being civil with him as you know if you were to say something he wouldve tagged you for other stuff on your car. :P

Yeah Boss man, I have the roush abs as well and they are tame when you want them to be and loud as heck when you want as well, keeping it at 4k rpm and then stepping on it in a tunnel is pure heaven
Old 9/15/11, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got pulled over for loud exhaust and had a 100% stock system...car was a few days old...a verbal warning....
Old 9/15/11, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's legit here in Illinois. I have the Roush's too but have been lucky so far. My buddy though, not so much. He's got 2 "fix it" tickets, $75 each and no points....both in the same week given to him by the same cop too. I think it all depends on the mood the cops in and how hard you're pushing the loud pedal. Either way, if it really is a $1500 fine I'd consider yourself lucky.
Old 9/15/11, 05:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Holy crap, i wouldn't want to live in CA.....to the contrary, i think you could run open headers with a big block here where i live. SOOOOO many annyoing ricers with Shop-Vac exhausts around here. They do NADA about it, ZIP, nothing, niet, rien.
Old 9/15/11, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
some cops are really a drag.
Old 9/15/11, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Still have the stock AB's on my Boss but I have pulled the sidepipe restrictor plates. I dont know how loud that makes it compared to Roush AB's but would be interesting to know if the volume is still within legal limits in TX.
Tbone- do you know? Is it a SPL reading in TX that determines legal limit?
I'm not sure as to what the legality is of louder exhaust systems in Texas but you should be fine... My dads cammed Monte Carlo makes my Borla ATAK sound whisper quiet and he's never had it even mentioned when he's been pulled over. That said, when I see cops I rarely cross 2000 rpm
Old 9/15/11, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaking of mufflers and 5.0s... stock 5.0 GTs sound quiter to me than my 4.6 gt by quite a bit. To the point where I would want to change the mufflers. Any truth to this perception? What of FRPPs performance package for the 5.0? I am running with FRPPs GTB on my 2008.
Old 9/15/11, 07:05 PM
Cobra R Member

My friend got an exhaust ticket in an STi. The exhaust was stock He obviously won, but had to go to court for it.
Old 9/15/11, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hate to hear these stories about officers writing for such minor offenses. In every area it's true standards and limits are different. Some officers are also more "by the letter of the law than the intent". I can tell you in central Texas local law enforcement really doesn't care about exhaust noise, we pay way more attention to someone with a stereo so loud the trunk is popping off the car. Sorry for the bad experiences and hope these guys don't give you an overall bad opinion of law enforcement as a whole.
Old 9/15/11, 07:23 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Kpd3014
I hate to hear these stories about officers writing for such minor offenses. In every area it's true standards and limits are different. Some officers are also more "by the letter of the law than the intent". I can tell you in central Texas local law enforcement really doesn't care about exhaust noise, we pay way more attention to someone with a stereo so loud the trunk is popping off the car. Sorry for the bad experiences and hope these guys don't give you an overall bad opinion of law enforcement as a whole.
I loved living in Waco. State trooper caught me running 90 on the high way and didn't even turn his lights on
Old 9/15/11, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I just never understood how anyone's motorcycle can scream like they do, yet they give someone in a 5.0 crap when it's 1/3 as loud...

Anyways, so what does someone who purchased a Roush Mustang do? Get a hard time a lot and keep having to appear in court showing proof of "stock" system??? It's all a bunch of crap if you ask me.

Quick Reply: My First Run in with the Cops in the 5.0